1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony or Panasonic?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by melliott1963, Sep 8, 2003.

1. melliott1963

melliott1963

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi everyone. My last 2 camcorders have both been Sonys and I am now looking to buy a new mini dv cam.

I was initially debating between the TRV22 and the TRV33, however, I've noticed that quite a few people seem to like the Panasonic NVGS50.

To further confuse matters, I've now seen the Panasonic NVGS70 which seems, on paper, to be better than all these.

Cost is not an issue with any of these models and I don't care about the still image performance. What I'm after is a camcorder that provides the following:-

* Good picture quality (stands to reason I suppose!) especially in low light conditions

* Good sound reproduction with as little (or preferably no) sound being picked up from the tape transport

* Reliability

* Easy to use for entire family (I'm quite a techi but the wife and kids aren't)

Never having used Panasonic's before I would appreciate hearing people's experiences with them, and finally, of course, which of these four models would you chose?

Thanks in advance for any help.

<Edit> Sorry, I've just seen a similar thread asking for opinions between the TRV33 and the NVGS70, but I think this is still a valid thread as I'm coming from a slightly different view point in that I've no experience whatsoever with Panasonic Camcorders and a lot with the Sonys.

2. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Try to shoot some footage on both.

Do you have a widescreen TV? Sony does anamorphic, Panasonic does letterbox.

I am biased I have a TRV33, the Panasonic I know little beyond a review in Camcorder Review.

But then one of my most important wants was the anamorphic mode.

3. melliott1963

melliott1963

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    No I don't currently have a widescreen TV, although when my current set breaks down I will get one, but when that will be, who knows? !!!

My current camcorder is the Sony TRV620. This has an excellent 25x Optical zoom - nothing seems to have these nowadays, am I right?

I can't find the specifications, but low light performance isn't great, but how does it match up to the TRV33 or 22 (which is better than the 33)?

4. martincooper

martincooper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Go to jessops, buy both, see which you like. Bring them both back after less than 30 days for a no questions asked refund on both. Then buy the one you want off the Internet. When you bring them back, ask if they want to price match ..;)

5. SignalMan

SignalMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Only had the Panny since Friday but up to press I'm delighted with it. The price £628 and the fact that it had 3CCD swung it for me. What really gets my goat is ppl are allways going on about how 3CCD is better than one and if the Panny was the same price as the Sony they buy it !! Then dis it with no reason at all, maybe this site should be called the Sony AV site. ;-)

6. melliott1963

melliott1963

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks, signalman, for your views. Maybe you could just tell me the following.

How well have you found that the Panasonic copes with indoor shots in a normal lit room (with, lets say, 2 or 3, 60 watt light bulbs)? My current sony (the TRV620) is quite 'grainy'.

Also, is the tape mechanism nice and quiet and not picked up by the mic?

7. Greenbag

Greenbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone,

Just bought a 3 ccd panasonic recently and decided to join a forum to exchange any information I could about this wonderful world of video making. I've been a video editor for a number of years using PC and Mac systems, I am also a qualifed graphic designer. :thumbsup:

Greenbag

8. neilneil

neilneil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I've had a Panasonic GS250 for a few weeks now and the picture quality is superb. A frend has a sony HC90 I think and if low light performance is top of your list then go with the sonys.
    Dont get me wrong the panasonic is not really bad in low light but the sony low light performance is in a different league.

-Neil

9. melliott1963

melliott1963

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Just a little confused as to why someone decided to bring this thread back from the dead as it's nearly 2 years old now.

Sorry, Greenbag, but I really think you'd have done better starting a new thread.

Anyway, welcome to the forums! :hiya:

10. neilneil

neilneil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Oops, didn't look at the dates before I charged in posting replys. :oops:

So now the thread is fully reserected what did you buy in the end Melliott1963?

-Neil

11. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +660

Walk into the plasma section of this site and you will see everyone saying "this site should be the Panasonic forum!" :D

12. melliott1963

melliott1963

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I went for the Sony TRV33 in the end and have been really pleased with it. A little while after, I bought a widescreen TV, so now shoot all my film in Widescreen which is excellent.

Low light performance could be better, but is OK for the few times I shoot in these conditions.