Sony or Panasonic 37" led?

Kieron79

Standard Member
Looking at either the Sony ex723 or Panasonic e3, not bothered about 'smart tv' as will be buying a blu ray with these features,3d ain't a massive consideration, tv will be used in living room for everyday viewing, no gaming!
I realise Panasonic is v basic in terms of features but will I get a better quality from this as it has the alpha panel? Sony seems like good value for small amount more (Inc £50 cashback) but have heard a few horror stories about image quality,
Any advice appreciated

NX3

If not not interested in the online fuctions then your main interest is the panel and the Panasonic IPS panel is better imo. I own the Sony 37" EX723, its viewing angles on the 37" are better than the 40 and 32 I found and if you spend the time to set it up the picture is good. I like the online features, media playback and 100mhz but for a pure picture the IPS wins.

Kieron79

Standard Member
Thanks, I personally think the Panasonic looks a little better too, any more advice from anyone appreciated! I am right in thinking I cdn use a Panasonic blu ray and turn the tv into 'smart tv'' right?

NX3

Panasonic bluray players aren't that smart.... Sony have more features so add a Sony bluray and have the best of both worlds :)

Kieron79

Standard Member
Yeah, was looking at a Sony the other day actually Another plus was it was really compact unlike the Panasonic that was like a boat!

HaRd2BeAr

Distinguished Member
Looking at either the Sony ex723 or Panasonic e3, not bothered about 'smart tv' as will be buying a blu ray with these features,3d ain't a massive consideration, tv will be used in living room for everyday viewing, no gaming!
I realise Panasonic is v basic in terms of features but will I get a better quality from this as it has the alpha panel? Sony seems like good value for small amount more (Inc £50 cashback) but have heard a few horror stories about image quality,
Any advice appreciated

Personally i have seen the Panasonic E30 and the black levels didn't do much for me, also the viewing angles are said to no be to great. The blacks certainly turn silver/grey off axis (ips panel trait). Didn't get a whole load of time to view it.

The Sony uses an MVA panel so will have better black levels and got a good review on here (not for 3D though).

Sony EX723 (KDL- 37EX723) 37 Inch 3D LED LCD TV Review | AVForums.com - UK Online

Best to go view both and get a demo.

Aaron

HaRd2BeAr

Distinguished Member
Cheers, It's the Panasonic e3b and not the e30 though, any difference in picture quality?

Sorry didn't read that.

The E30 is 100hz.

The E3 is 50hz the Sony is 100hz (better for sports/fast motion)

I would get the Sony myself, but again thats me.

The E30 and E3 use the same panel (IPS-Alpha) until you get to 42inch and then the E3 uses AS-IPS (LG panel)

Here is a review of the 42 E3 (remember it uses AS-IPS) but the blacks and motion aren't that much different between the 2 panels.

Aaron

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom