Sony or Panasonic 32 inch LCD???

P

paulsuecoll

Hi everyone. Just joined and am after advice. Looking to buy a 32 inch LCD TV for general use.

I am torn between Sony and Panasonic and any help or advice would be gratefully appreciated.

With thanks.

Here's my 2 cents/euros/pence/etc. I'm really big on Sony's TVs (not through brand loyalty - I've tried to escape several times!)

I've heard a lot of people say that the picture quality on the Panasonic LCDs has the edge over the Sony Bravia ones (not spent enough time with the Panasonics to judge, sadly) but for me the Sonys have the edge because of the fact that you can adjust the backlight. That helps a lot to remedy LCD's "milky blacks" to get them looking a bit more deep like they would on a CRT.

That said, the Panasonic one automatically adjusts its backlight and I've not seen it in a dark room but I'd imagine it won't go as low as the Sony one can (very low).

hi i have a panasonic lcd which i am very pleased with,in my local tv shop they had a sony and a panasonic side by side and i thought the panasonic was a better picture .it was nice to be able to see them both in the same shop,the shop was a sony and panasonic dealer so i don't think there was any reason for him to set one up better than the other.

paulsuecoll said:
Hi everyone. Just joined and am after advice. Looking to buy a 32 inch LCD TV for general use.

I am torn between Sony and Panasonic and any help or advice would be gratefully appreciated.

With thanks.

Depends what you want to use it mainly for.

I had a Panasonic and then a Sony and really prefer the picture on the Panasonic for watching Sky. Although I am making a concerted effort to try and improve my Sony's picture with tweaks and cables etc.

I hear that the Sony is excellent for gaming though (don't use mine for that).

Sony..i owned a Panny CRT and swore blind I would go with them when i went LCD but the Sony was better imo

now own a 32 and a 40 both Sony's but as lyris says the adjustable backlight is a very useful feature especially with SD signals + the other "hacks" you can use via the service menu :clap:

It will show up defects in poor sources tho so signals such as SKY SD and Freeview wont look outstanding but then it is a HD TV as is the panny

bit of tweaking and running in tho and you will never look back :D

I think the Panasonic definitely has the better PQ. We had both at home (the best place to actually do a comparison, as this is where the set will be used) for a couple of days and both were knocked out by the Panny.

I'm actually a big Sony fan, but this is one time when they are not the best in our opinion.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom