1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony or Denon

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by jonback, Dec 7, 2004.

Tags:
  1. jonback

jonback
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi All,
    I am looking at buying a 'budet' av receiver & had decided on the Sony str-db795.
    However, I have read (here!) from several people that the Sony has a recurrent noise problem, that Sony are now aware of.
    I do have Sony brand-loyalty, & every other component of my system is Sony, but in view of the above problem, is the Denon avr-1705 a better bet?
    Your opinions would be appreciated!
    Jon

2. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,368
    You can get the Denon 1905 for the same price as the Sony 795 if not cheaper.

I personally do not have two pieces of equipment on the Hi-fi side the same apart form a control amp and power amp. I know its nice to have matching equipment but it does be come limiting.

3. David_of_Surrey

David_of_Surrey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    No probs with mine......got it for £230 inc delivery from unbeatable ..watch out some sites charge an extra £20 for the silver version

4. pcookie

pcookie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Glad to hear it David! I'll be getting mine after xmas, but I'll be partnering it with the far more humble Elac Cinema 1. How do the KEF's sound with what is after all an entry level receiver? Does the Sony do them justice?

cookie

5. David_of_Surrey

David_of_Surrey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Sound great....when playing loud I would have movies at -35 to -40 db so still plenty of headroom, not sure about the hall/jazz or concert settings. although for watching live music this gives a good effect. menus on the receiver are bit of a pain, wife says text on remote is too small to read.

Dave

6. Paulholio

Paulholio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would show no loyalty to Sony, I'm positive they show no loyalty to you. You've gotta go for a Denon, you can pick the 1905 for 279.95 from hifix which would wipe the floor with sony. Sony are in trouble.....they arent the force they used to be

7. pcookie

pcookie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Well, speaking as someone who has had both Denon and Sony gear for years I would take issue with that statement. Sure the Denon make fantastic home cinema products (I'd love a 3805!) and I wouldn't hesitate in recommending it. But in all the tests I've read, and after hearing both products, I would say that actually the Sony totally wipes the floor with the Denon when it comes to music. Sony seems to suffer from what I like to call the Manchester United or BMW syndrome. i.e. when you're at the top of the tree everyone wants to knock you down. At the end of the day, go and listen and try the stuff out. Then decide for yourself

cookie

8. jonback

jonback
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thank you all!
    In view of the baove the Sony still seems favourite!