Sony OLEDs rumored for 2017

Goldorak

Distinguished Member
It's the stand/legs i'am bothered about....just hope they all have the plinth in the center....even if i wanted the Phillips Oled i couldn't because of the stupid way the legs underneath the Tv sit.

They had so much negative feedback from people and retailers about that. They addressed it well with dx750 and flexible legs. Let's see if they learned their lesson

Goldorak

Distinguished Member
I don't doubt that but it seems that some are already thinking that 1,000 Nits is now not bright enough and we need 2,000 Nits simply based on what (some) maufacturers are telling us ... as you say 1,000 with better tone mapping should do the job just fine.

Not re-opening the subject. Just read the below article again and it actually re-assured me that a 1000+ nits oled is all I will need for now (I will change in 5-7 years to whatever comes then)

The higher the nits, the less need for tone mapping. DV or hdr10 dynamic will be nice if they become mainstream.

Hope pana and sony will adopt dv ( plus some online broadcaster like amazon or Netflix) as don't want to wonder if my TV will upgrade to hdr10 dynamic or not.

We don't all watch our TV on a professional 4000 nits dv monitor. A content mastered on a Sony pro 1000 nits will do for now :)

Challenges Faced by OLED TV for Accurate HDR Reproduction

vinnie97

Yeah I agree with that. 1000 nits and better tone mapping so 4000 nit HDR content doesn't clip as much as that would be great for 2017 sets. All the details will be available in less than a week anyway.
Does this mean you're already upgrading in just a year? That bothered by the HDR10 performance? I don't see why it can't work since Dolby Vision is suitable at under 700 nits. I presume it's a matter of LG putting forth the effort. With the model year winding down, I can see why some would theorize this tone map fix may never come. Oh well, already blew my load (and probably 5 years' worth) on a G6 last year, so I'm stuck. Disheartening to hear that the me toos (Philips, Panasonic) have already turned it into an also-ran (well, it had completed design stage a year ago, so maybe I shouldn't be too upset ;)).

As for the topic of manufacturing runs, the EF9500 saw continued production through at least the first quarter of 2016.

Matson

Distinguished Member
I most likely wont be upgrading. I'm interested though to see what is going to be available and what upgrades there is. I maybe tempted if theres big enough upgrades. Only time will tell.

Wez68

Distinguished Member
All this talk of higher Nits etc makes me laugh, having just watched The Grand Tour on my E6 in ISF Dark mode ,i,m not sure i,d want to watch anything brighter!!

Goldorak

Distinguished Member
All this talk of higher Nits etc makes me laugh, having just watched The Grand Tour on my E6 in ISF Dark mode ,i,m not sure i,d want to watch anything brighter!!

I am delighted that you are enjoying your e6. This is a fantastic TV.
However, I suggest you also read the attached article in my post #177

davidcrofter

Well whether or not it makes commercial sense depends on a whole bunch of commercial intelligence and market variables that you don't have access to, therefore your comment is pure conjecture and rumour in itself :).

Somebody start the year getting out the bed on the wrong side.:laugh:

Anybody that thinks that Sony & Panasonic will launch OLED's in 2017 with last years panels is completely deluded ... I mean it isn't exactly inside knowledge just a bit of common sense.

Robbie G

Anybody that thinks that Sony & Panasonic will launch OLED's in 2017 with last years panels is completely deluded ... I mean it isn't exactly inside knowledge just a bit of common sense.

Your comment was:

'It doesn't make commercial sense for LG to be producing 2017 and 2016 panels alongside each other ... so let's put those rumours to bed please'.

This is different to saying that Sony and Panasonic won't be using LG's 2016 panels for their 2017 OLEDs :).

babator

Your comment was:

'It doesn't make commercial sense for LG to be producing 2017 and 2016 panels alongside each other ... so let's put those rumours to bed please'.

This is different to saying that Sony and Panasonic won't be using LG's 2016 panels for their 2017 OLEDs :).
I dunno, the idea that Sony would be stockpiling LG's 2016 panels now for a product arriving in the second half of 2017 makes very little sense from either Sony's or LG's point of view.

joysRus

But they have to bring the product development on the basis of 2017 panels to an end before the production of the tv sets begins. Will LG deliver them preproduction 2017 panels these days so they can finish everything until spring ? Maybe they are already ready with the 2016 panels and LGD just cant deliver before the production ramp up in P9 in the second quarter... There is some (ugly) probability of Sony delivering 2016 panels...

Goldorak

Distinguished Member
Honestly guys, does it really matters?
We are all expecting new oled panels capable to handle over 1000 nits
If Sony is coming to market with old panels (600 nits), thats commercial hara Kiri and highly unlikely.
Simple as that.

I am more interested to know what pana, lg, sony processing will Bring to the table this year. Have high expectations :)

SceneMissing

What interests me about the higher nit OLED panels is whether it might encourage manufacturers to offer black frame insertion techniques as an option for motion handling. Yes that will reduce the brightness, but the loss wouldn't be as bad as it might have been on the lower nit panels of 2016, and left as an option in the menus it'd be there for those willing to make the trade off in sacrificing higher peak brightness for better motion.

I'm still trying to picture where the OLEDs will place in Sony's line up. If the 65" does come in at £4000-4500 where might that leave future Z series LED successors in the line up I wonder? It certainly wouldn't be a bad thing for Sony's backlight master drive dimming to filter down into more affordable LED TVs, but they may still be better than the OLEDs for HDR performance so it will be interesting to see what tier of price and desirability Sony place their OLED televisions.

Goldorak

Distinguished Member
What interests me about the higher nit OLED panels is whether it might encourage manufacturers to offer black frame insertion techniques as an option for motion handling. Yes that will reduce the brightness, but the loss wouldn't be as bad as it might have been on the lower nit panels of 2016, and left as an option in the menus it'd be there for those willing to make the trade off in sacrificing higher peak brightness for better motion.

I'm still trying to picture where the OLEDs will place in Sony's line up. If the 65" does come in at £4000-4500 where might that leave future Z series LED successors in the line up I wonder? It certainly wouldn't be a bad thing for Sony's backlight master drive dimming to filter down into more affordable LED TVs, but they may still be better than the OLEDs for HDR performance so it will be interesting to see what tier of price and desirability Sony place their OLED televisions.

Interesting statement, why do you think oled needs black frame insertion ?
Is the motion with oled supposed to be the best or am I missing something?

As for your reflection on the zd9 and successor, I had the same. I believe Sony will keep this range and introduce the technology at 65 and 55 hopefully. The interesting point is if they will use a light version of this on the xd94 and xd93 equivalent. That will be clever and highly affordable...but prices will have to drop seriously versus oled onslaught...

steviedr

Distinguished Member
I was wondering if Panasonic may use BFI as well, I have read motion is no issue in the oleds yet some users report motion issues, others come back saying they have come from plasma and all is well, yet once again some disagree - which I have to say concerns me as I'd bet I'd see it.

Goldorak

Distinguished Member
I learn something everyday here. That's something I didn't know at all or had a misconception.
Based on some articles I read, oled and LCD need bfi to improve motion. Impact on brightness is obvious...thank you even if I am not sure I like this.

Is Motion Resolution an Issue with OLED TVs?

SceneMissing

Interesting statement, why do you think oled needs black frame insertion ?
Is the motion with oled supposed to be the best or am I missing something?

The response time of OLED is exceptional, but the sample and hold approach to motion can be something of a hindrance resulting in excessive motion blur. You can activate any kind of motion interpolation of course but that quickly runs the risk of engaging the soap opera effect (which some like, and others cannot abide, myself included).

So, BFI would help alongside some decent processing, but again the problem is BFI will reduce brightness which is obviously going to be detrimental to HDR performance. My thought though is that if peak brightness of the new panels was higher than those of last year then I wonder if any OLED TV manufacturers in 2017 might offer BFI as an option, which at worst might perhaps reduce peak brightness to 2016 levels or thereabouts but provide much better motion handling (thus, the trade off for those willing to compromise).

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Samsung's OLED implemented black frame insertion, but that was prior to the HDR days and today's need for brighter displays.

I was wondering if Panasonic may use BFI as well, I have read motion is no issue in the oleds yet some users report motion issues, others come back saying they have come from plasma and all is well, yet once again some disagree - which I have to say concerns me as I'd bet I'd see it.

It's definitely subjective, though from everything I have read it's generally accepted that, in one way or another, motion handling is one area where LG need to up their game. Sony have a good history in that regard having put so much R&D into their processing, so I am curious to see what their approach is going to be here with their OLED sets as I think they have BFI on their LED sets.

As I'm looking to retire my dear Pioneer KURO this year (after a spectacular nine year run) I'm interested to see what UHD TV I end up replacing it with. Naturally I am very interested in OLED but I'm keen to see what LED developments come out of CES this week too.

Last edited:

Goldorak

Distinguished Member

I saw it today at John Lewis with an oled b6 playing football. I didn't believe my eyes and concluded it was just bad setting or signal...
Probably still true but my belief that oled doesn't have motion issue is to be revisited...let's see what 2017 do to deal with it :)

steviedr

Distinguished Member

NM2160

I saw it today at John Lewis with an oled b6 playing football. I didn't believe my eyes and concluded it was just bad setting or signal...
Probably still true but my belief that oled doesn't have motion issue is to be revisited...let's see what 2017 do to deal with it :)

Definitely a bad setting as the set was probably in 'Store Mode' that has Tru Motion turned on which introduces motion artefacts on sports content.

Turn that off & everything is fine. Fast panning in content like football is every bit as good as the 3 Pioneer plasma sets I owned previously.

No need for BFI.

Mensy

Distinguished Member
Coming from only owning Plasmas all my life, there is No Motion Issues With OLED!!

steviedr

Distinguished Member
Glad to hear it chaps, just worries me with some users complaining on the LG E6 thread.

Goldorak

Distinguished Member
Same here. Not looking for trouble need glad to hear users are happy. Will get only better with all players this year

davidcrofter

But they have to bring the product development on the basis of 2017 panels to an end before the production of the tv sets begins. Will LG deliver them preproduction 2017 panels these days so they can finish everything until spring ? Maybe they are already ready with the 2016 panels and LGD just cant deliver before the production ramp up in P9 in the second quarter... There is some (ugly) probability of Sony delivering 2016 panels...

Sony have signed a deal for 100,000 panels that will be delivered to them in Q2 and Sony aim to have products on sale in the 2nd half of the year. I guess that Sony have samples of these new panels already so they know what they are working with and it will simply be a case of assembling them once they take delivery.

ashenfie

sure, but as we can see the sterling level against he dollar is increasing daily. The Brexit crash (that caught out all those currency traders, haha, oh dear) is well over so the price will be back to the ordinary rip-off prices for the UK that we were always used to.
ha ha not. The traders loved it, nothing like a good crash to line a trader pocket!

Slugsy01

Distinguished Member
Sorry to be negative here but I'll be gobsmacked if LG give Panasonic or Sony their 2017 panels.

Why on earth would they do that? What commercial strategic sense does that make?

They didn't give Panasonic their latest panel for the CZ a couple of years back at the time, so what has changed?

The only way I could see LG giving them their latest panel would be at a massive price hike over what they will sell it for, oh wait like the CZ.....

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Hisense A7G, Zidoo Z1000 & Kudos Cardea C10 Reviews + Movie News and Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Amazon Prime Day 2021 coming 21st -22nd June
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on UK streaming services for July 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung launches Odyssey G9 gaming monitor
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
BenQ launches V7000i/V7050i 4K laser TV projector