Sony OLED TV suffers from premature ageing

iaTa

Established Member
Reaction score
Citing research firm DisplaySearch, EE Times says the TV's active matrix OLED (AMOLED) implementation has a much shorter lifespan than what Sony quotes in its specifications: allegedly only 5,000 hours for white colors and 17,000 hours for "typical video image." Worse yet, EE Times adds that the panel is victim to "differential aging," which causes blue, red, and green luminances to shrink by 12%, 7%, and 8%, respectively, after just 1,000 hours-that's about a month and a half of continuous use.

The sub-pixel architecture includes two TFTs and two capacitors. The pixel architecture does not use a common support layer, as the materials and thickness are different. The micro cavity structure results in multiple reflection interference. The brightness is severely reduced in high-ambient conditions. The black levels are less than 0.01 cd/m, lower than any other display (PDP or LCD) currently on the market. The top emission design includes a color filter and a circular polarizer. The cathode is semi transparent. The design includes a unique approach to cooling the OLED.
So all you have to do is replace it every few months and you're good to go. What's the problem here? ;-)

Way to go for OLED technology, isn`t really surprising to hear problems of first commercial sample.

I'm sure it'll be covered by warranty.

Call me cynical,but isnt this another case of that manufacturer rushing out an unfinished product before anyone else does ?

KH

Call me cynical,but isnt this another case of that manufacturer rushing out an unfinished product before anyone else does ?

KH

I always felt that no matter how wonderful the contrast ratio, colour brilliance and viewing angles on OLED are, the technology will always be hampered by its longevity. Since the blue compound wears first, then the green, who really wants to get a telly that fades from full colour, to yellow then to red?

And I think that OLED is doomed for computer displays, since computers display a lot of static information (web browser frames, windows icons, wallpaper backgrounds etc) which will really take its toll on the OLED panel.

This is why I intend to ignore the first two generation releases of this tech onto the public arena. If OLED is released to us in 2009/2010 then I wouldn't buy one until the 2012/2013 models.

Im curious as to see if OLED screens will come with the same anti-burn functions as Plasma (scrolling ramp, all white, pixel shift etc)

Im curious as to see if OLED screens will come with the same anti-burn functions as Plasma (scrolling ramp, all white, pixel shift etc)

unless you own a panasonic Vierra- I do and was rather unimpressed at the amount of adjustments available

Lawrenso

give it time

I mean, look how long it to took to prefect CRT, PDP and LCD

Last edited:
Predictable to be fair. New technology = new problems, simple.

RoEy

I cant believe that companies like Sony are trying to push new technology into the market!! People still havent got the grasp of LCD and Plasma. How many choices does one have to have?:thumbsdow

I cant believe that companies like Sony are trying to push new technology into the market!! People still havent got the grasp of LCD and Plasma. How many choices does one have to have?:thumbsdow

Says who - given you'd struggle to buy a CRT, that would suggest that people are more than comfortable. Are you suggesting that companies should stop innovating :confused:

Given that neither LCD nor plasma has yet achieved the image quality that CRT used to have, the technology is (arguably) evolving backwards. I hope they continue to introduce new tech until we at least get back to where we were a few years ago. Then they can stop. :)

Please.....before it goes any further, this is not yet another tired old "CRT was better than flat panels" thread. Any such contributions will be deleted. Thanks.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom