1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony officially unveils the VPL-HS51- Coming in October!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Meridius, Oct 1, 2004.

1. Meridius

Meridius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Sony officially unveils the VPL-HS51- Coming in October!
    SONY UNVEILS 3LCD HIGH-CONTRAST CINEZA PROJECTOR

New Model has up to 6000:1 Contrast Ratio

INDIANAPOLIS (CEDIA, BOOTH #330), Sept. 9, 2004 - As consumer demand for home theater equipment expands, Sony Electronics has developed the next-generation Cineza® front projector equipped with the latest 3LCD panel.

The new VPL-HS51 model is equipped with an advanced iris function, enabling the projector to dynamically adjust the video image according to the level of the input signal. This results in high contrast ratio of up to 6000:1, along with reproduction of the most subtle details. The HS51 also incorporates three proprietary 720p LCD panels that provide 2,764,800 pixel resolution (1280x720) optimized for HD video input.

"Consumers have come to expect more from home entertainment technology and want a projector that stands apart from what is used in the office," said Mike Fidler, senior vice president of Sony Electronics' Home Products Division. "The HS51 is a powerful projector that will accurately reproduce DVD and high definition sources with high brightness and full contrast."

Easy to Use Features

The new model is ideal for home applications thanks to its versatile cabinet, lightweight design and easy-to-use features. Picture position (both horizontal and vertical) can be easily adjusted with the lens shift function, which expands the projector's placement and installation options without distorting image quality.

An All Range Crisp Focus (ARC-F) lens and Real Color Processor (RCP) further enhances colors and images. The color of each hue can be adjusted independently for a customized picture. The 1.6x zoom lens allows for a short throw distance, with the option to project on screen sizes of 40- to 200 inches.

An advanced 12-bit panel driver is included for high color graduation. It also has a new HD I/P converter that improves not only NTSC video conversion but high-definition signals as well. Additionally, the HS51 model's unique fan design generates a low level of noise for extremely quite operation.

Numerous inputs are also provided, including an HDMI interface that allows copy-protected, high-definition video content to be delivered from a DVI/HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection) compatible set-top box.

The VPL-HS51 is also supplied with Image Director 2 software, enabling gamma adjustment via a PC connector. Image Director 2 works in conjunction with Sony's Real Color Processing (RCP) for precision picture adjustment.

Finally, VPL-HS51 is equipped with an Ethernet connector for complete AV system integration via IP Control Protocol.

The new projector will be available in October for about $3,500.

###

mmm nice

2. Tempest

Tempest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,256
    Yeah...........

So guess they using their own panels?
    Does this mean no vertical banding?

This seems to be the last problem/grumble at the moment.
    Reckon it's certaintly making people take a second thought about their AE700 upgrade (well it is to me anyway) Perhaps the Sony is worth waiting to see how it compaires.

3. Tempest

Tempest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,256
    The one thing that worries me about this dynamic iris (and also the same goes for the AE700)

Note: I may be totally misunderstanding the tech behind this..... but.

What I'm thinking is this:

Lets select finding nemo. Bright Orange Fish.

Say the fish is on a resonably bright background, all looks lovely and bright and the iris is fully open.

Then we get another scene where we are deep in the dark sea, so the screen is mostly black with a Orange nemo in the middle.

Will the Iris close down to reduce the amount of light going to the screen, to make the black look blacker. But (and here's my worry) will it also make the nice bright orange nemo become duller also.

They just hope you won't notice and he's still quite bright against the black background?

Or does it not work like this and nemo will still be at exactly the same brightness level even though the iris has closed right down to make the surrounding areas dark.

4. Joelc

Joelc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I, like many of the indivduals posting here, am about to pull the trigger on a new LCD projector.

I have been following all of the posting among/regarding the contenders -- Hitachi PJ-TX100, Panasonic AE700, Sony VPL-HS20, Sony VPL-HS51, etc. Here is my issue -- by continuing to wait for the next best thing (a.k.a. holly grail) one never gets the enjoyment of the "current great crop" of offerings in that one never pulls the trigger on a projector.

What am I going to do... I have seen both the HS20 and the TX100. I like the TX100 better and will purchase this next week. Why am I comfortable with my decisions... because this projector (or any of these projectors) in my opinion have a limited lifecycle of about two to three years at which point they will be replaced with newer or better technology .... my guess, FWIW, is LCoS.

The point... if you always obsess over the next best thing you will never get the enjoyment you should. Let it fly... fire retardent suit is on.

Joel

5. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    the dynamic irs work very well I havent noticed the change in the iris opening and closing. and scences change very quick from bright to dark. I think it has more to do with gamma adjustment then the iris.

6. zoolap

zoolap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I'm kinda thinking this as well. I preferred the HS20 to TX100 as screen door bothered me too much on HS20. The AE700 is sounding good to me, though people are talking about D5 panels and that 700 only uses D4. Providing I can get a demo (and it's satisfying) and money together it gives me the potential chance to see Return Of The King extended edition on the big screen.

7. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Why are you focusing solely on LCD? Have you considered DLP? There are some great PJs out there. Notably the Sharp Z range. Under £3k with superb value for money and outstanding picture quality that can knock LCD into a cocked hat.

Cap :)

8. Joelc

Joelc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I can only respond from my own perspective... "interim solution"...

What do I mean by that... I believe that any projector purchased these days is temporary in nature in that within two to three years the landscape will be entirely changed -- new technologies (3-chip DLPs, 1080 P perhaps, LCoS along the lines of the Qualia< etc.).

What does this mean for me...m whatever projector I purchase now is a disposable in that it will be gone in two to four years wil very little, if any, residual value. As, at least to me, LCD provides the biggest bang for the buck I prefer to dispose of a couple thousand dollars/quid rather than a few thosand dollars/quid.

Joel

9. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Valid point. Perhaps I am getting used to seeing people swap up PJs quite frequently.

I am in the same boat as you tbh.

Cap :)

10. zoolap

zoolap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I got my Sony STR-DB940 av amp in 2001. For a while I've been thinking of upgrading to something more modern with pro logic 2 etc. Now I've reached a point where I've got a good amount of enjoyment for my original £550 I'm thinking of going for a Yamaha AX750.

I'm in that spot where I'm trying to decide between waiting even longer for my first projector to go in extension currently being built (5m long, 2m wide ). An AE700 this could potentially give me something to enjoy by this christmas and for a few years.