Sony NX713/NX723/2012 Series Owners Thread...

Discussion in 'Sony TVs Forum' started by Paul Cooksley, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Paul Cooksley

Paul Cooksley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Hi there

Well, seeing as other models have their respective owner's threads set up and I couldn't see one for the NX recent series, I thought I would start one for anyone who own's one or perhaps is thinking of getting one....

Anyone care to share their settings first off?

I'll post mine, which won't be everyone's cup of tea, as I like the image quite bright!

Picture Mode: Custom
    Contrast: 90
    Brightness: 57
    Backlight 8 or 9
    Colour: 50
    Colour temperature: Netural
    Sharpness: 50
    All processing like Auto Light limiter, LED Dynamic control, Black Corrector etc all Off.

Is your's free of clouding/banding? Mine is pretty good - perhaps a little clouding - but only to be expected when the brightness is up around 57.;)

2. mrlynch

mrlynch
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I think you need to have those type of settings as the TV is quite dark otherwise. I used vivid initially as I struggled to get the image to pop with the other settings. Having said that, after some testing and tweaking over the past week or so mine are by coincidence fairly close to yours:

Picture Mode: Custom
    Contrast: 90
    Brightness: 42
    Backlight 9
    Colour: 60
    Colour temperature: Netural
    Sharpness: 40
    Motionflow: Clear
    Black Corrector: Medium
    LED: Standard

Mine suffered from clouding until I turned the brightness down, this has a big impact below 50 and really helps eliminate any issues.

How do you find the picture with SD content? I'm very happy with HD and Bluray but SD is pretty average - although this is probably down to sitting 7ft from a 46" :facepalm:

3. Paul Cooksley

Paul Cooksley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    I'll have to try those settings to see, but, don't you find the brightness too low on only 42? Before I read your posting, I was playing about with my settings and popped the brightness back to 50....looked way too dark for me on that setting.....each to their own of course, but just wondered how "dark" your picture looks on those settings...as I say, I'll try them out later....

I actually find SD very good on this set - well, perhaps high-bitrate freeview channels like BBC1/2 etc..

I sit about 9-10 ft away so I guess that helps, but overall, gotta say, very pleased with the SD images.

4. mrlynch

mrlynch
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    It can appear a little dark on the SD channels, but on the HD channels it seems almost twice as bright (my lounge has fairly low light as well). I did try the brightness a little higher but I found it washed/hazed out the picture too much for the small amount of brightness it added. At the level I have it the blacks are very black - on dark scenes you don't even see the bezel.

I have completely different settings for my PS3 and blurays, i'm still refining those so will post them up once I am happy.

That's good to hear on the SD, i'm moving my lounge around to get a viewing distance of 10-11ft so that should be much better.

Have you played about much with the Motionflow? From what I read Clear is supposed to bring the most benefit, but anything other than standard or off causes the TV to dim even further.

Also, just checking, did you turn off the eco and light sensor as this helps with the brightness.

5. Paul Cooksley

Paul Cooksley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Yes. turned those things off straight away, goodness knows who uses that Eco setting - the screen is so dim you can hardly see it!

Ah...I haven't tried this TV out with any HD stuff - only SD at present. I do have a Blu-Ray player connected but actually rarely, if at all, use it! I will check out a HD picture though on those settings - just to see what it's like.

Yes, turning the brightness up does kind of "wash it out" a tad, I know exactly what you mean - but watching SD, I kind of feel that I need it around 57-ish in order to get a decent, bright enough image.

It was exactly the same scenario on my previous two EX723 sets regarding brightness settings - but perhaps not surprising, seeing as they use exactly the same panel.

I have motion flow set to "standard". I think "clear" dims the image ever so slightly (although you are quite right in that I think this setting of clear is the best to use)...... "ClearPlus" just dims the picture way too much.

Do you find any difference using the LED Dynamic Control? (Which I think you mentioned you had set at 'Standard')?

I have been told by many people to keep as much of the "processing" stuff off - like Black Corrector/Auto Light Limiter etc... hence why I usually just keep these off.

6. mrlynch

mrlynch
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    It does seem to be the common recommendation to turn all the processing stuff off but I think some of them do help. I have tried every option numerous times and I'm sure I'll end up changing some of them again :)

I found the LED dynamic control helped to brighten up some of the areas and I think the Black Corrector really helps. The black correct did crush some of the blacks on high so I turned it down to Medium.

You should definitely fire up the Bluray player, the picture is brilliant and the sound (mine came with the soundbar stand) is brilliant as well. We watched Fast 5 and Transformers 3 over the past week or so and it was like being in the cinema.

7. DJEggy

DJEggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...Not urgently but soonish (circa Olympics) I'm going to upgrade my Sony KDL-32D3000 which I love.

I used to sit approx 6ft away and picture was gorgeous - now I sit approx 12ft away and the set is just too small. I'm hoping that in waiting for the Olympics to come around will mean a fresh influx of 3D TV's thus reducing the price of old Technology/panels.

I don't mind buying slightly out of date - and I feel this TV will be a great investment. My D3000 has lasted me close to 4 years without a hiccup and I'm a big SONY fanboy.

So my questions - do you wish you'd saved more and gone for the LX range instead? Do you feel you could have got away with the EX range or even the entry CX range as there are some good prices on those TV's - lacking in IPtv etc I know but having had the set for a while how do you feel about it - coz as far as TV set go, I think it looks pretty sexy :devil:

Do you use the Internet gadgets much? Managed to find a cheaper pair of 3D glasses to use? And have you bought the stand in which it is supposed to sit - as an optional £100 odd or so?

Thanks for any info!

8. Paul Cooksley

Paul Cooksley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Hi there

To briefly answer your questions:

No, I don't regret not buying a more expensive set (not sure what the "LX" range is, but I did look at the HX and also actually have two brand new EX sets before this)

The NX is exactly the same set (all bar built in wi-fi/gorilla glass front and LED Dynamic Control) as the EX. Picture Quality wise it looks, to me, identical to the EX723. It is the same panel used in both TV's. You are paying more for the NX for the gorilla glass and built in wi-fi. Other than that, there is no noticeable difference. The internet functions on the NX are identical to the EX (apart from the fact you have to use a wi-fi dongle of course to go wireless on the cheaper EX)

I personally didn't buy the optional stand which houses the better sound - simply because I use an external amp and if I am honest, I rather prefer the "table top" stand myself...

3D on this set (as with the EX723) is "supposed" to be pretty poor from all the reviews I have read. I have zero interest in 3D so cannot personally comment - however, some people on these forums say 3D isn't as bad as the reviews make out.... but it's not supposed to be up to much with 3D.....

2D wise the picture is brilliant. As I say, pretty identical to the lower priced EX range (for the reasons mentioned above) but a decent SD and HD 2D image is achieved easily.....

Hope this helps...;)

9. HaRd2BeAr

HaRd2BeAr
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,821
    As you say mate, settings are a personal thing, so not going to tell you how to have your tv. But setting up brightness for an SD channel is not the best way of setting up the picture.

Having bought the Spears and Munsil benchmark disk, with backlight 5 (did try max and minimum)and local dimming off, 46 was the figure i got for birghtness in order to see the required elements of the test pattern provided. Anything above was showing to much and washing out the detail anything lower was crushing shawod detail. ;)

10. HaRd2BeAr

HaRd2BeAr
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,821
    This is a question i asked Mark Hodgkinson, regarding hdmi dynamic range.

Question

His response.

11. Paul Cooksley

Paul Cooksley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    That's interesting, re: HDMI Dynamic Range. It's one of those things that I've seen but not understood myself about exactly what it is supposed to do.... Is he saying, for example, if you have your DVD recorder/player etc connected via HDMI that it is best set to "limited"? ....Or does he mean leave it on "Auto".....? Not sure..... ;)

...re brightness. You are spot on with what you are saying....I know having brightness up around 57 is washing the image out a little, it's just that I find myself setting it at this to get a bright enough SD image...... I don't currently receive any Freeview HD channels (although will do from April this year) so be interesting to see the difference. Gotta say, on some of the higher bitrate channels (like BBC1/2) the SD picture is really very good....I wonder how much difference Freeview HD will bring over the current SD image? The only HD I've watched has been via BBC iplayer (via the built in internet function on the TV)......thing is of course, whilst the image is very, very good, it does give programmes shot on video a "filmic" wash - so be good to see HD channels via Freeview properly...!

12. HaRd2BeAr

HaRd2BeAr
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,821
    For any video source ie dvd player, blu ray, Virgin Media, use limited. Only use full for pc use/input.

Also for Color Matrix, switch to custom and set all types(even 480i/576i etc) to ITU709, as this is the correct setting to use. Can't remember who i asked on here. One of the well respected reviewers on here said that was correct.

13. HaRd2BeAr

HaRd2BeAr
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,821
    These options can be found by pressing Home on the remote, going to display and the Video input settings.

Hope this helps.

Aaron

14. Paul Cooksley

Paul Cooksley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Cheers for this.... just read up about the Color Matrix and found this:-

"ITU601" for standard definition, and "ITU709" for high definition. Do not worry if you are confused... simply set the [Colour Matrix] to "Auto" and the Sony will automatically use the resolution of the content to decide on the correct colour standard"

So perhaps I had best leave this particular setting on Auto? :confused:

Oh....and I tried setting the HDMI setting to "Limited" but to be honest, after switching two and fro many times between "limited" and "Auto" couldn't see much of/if any difference.....I left it back on Auto, but not sure if it is supposed to make any "noticeable" difference?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2012
  15. BaggieBoy

BaggieBoy
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'm having problems with displaying 4:3 feeds (via a Sky+ HD box) in the correct aspect ratio, the TV seems to want to stretch the image to fill the screen. I've tried playing with the settings under "Screen" but can't make the Auto setting work the way I think it should. Anyone have any ideas here?

16. Paul Cooksley

Paul Cooksley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    I was having problems with my Panasonic DVD Recorder and this TV with 4:3 signals. I had the TV set up to display 4:3 as "Normal" - and indeed, flicking back to the internal tuner and going through some Freeview 4:3 transmissions, it worked perfectly - i.e. - would flip to 4:3 and back to 16:9 when the source or channel was altered.

However, viewing the same Freeview channels via the DVD recorders tuner result in the image being stretched to fill the screen.

I eventually had to change a setting within my DVD recorder and put 4:3 material to display as 16:9 (the setting above this on the DVD recorder had the TV type set as 16:9)... This then automatically put the black bars left and right and made the image correct for 4:3 transmissions....

I know you mention about your Sky box, so I only mention this, as I've not had to alter my DVD recorder settings with regard to 4:3 material on any other television, so not sure if this is somehow still related to the TV (I've had quite a few plasmas and LCD's over the past 2 years!!) so don't know if it's worth checking your Sky settings on the Sky box?

17. HaRd2BeAr

HaRd2BeAr
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,821
    I hate leaving things up to my equipment to decide, and seeing as limited is correct for any video source other than pc, i feel it takes the guessing out of it for me at least.

Regards ITU601 for standard definition, it was said to me that that colour standard is better suited to NTSC ie american color standard. So i am putting it to ITU709 and trusting someone with better knowledge than i have.

I just thought that seeing as you like turning all processing off that taking something off of auto would be the option you would take. Even if you don't see much off a difference for one program. All you are doing is turning something off auto that doesn't need to be on auto. ;)

18. Paul Cooksley

Paul Cooksley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Yeah sure, sorry, not doubting what you've been told in any way shape or form, I just thought I would try and read up a little more as to what these features really do!

But I will certainly try them on "limited" and "ITU079" and see if there is any difference....

Cheers for the info!

19. Jeebus

Jeebus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Any thoughts on the 40NX723? Do they all have that 'crease' line down the side of the tv?

20. HaRd2BeAr

HaRd2BeAr
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,821
    No worries mate, i hate not knowing what these things mean either, any info or links you find please let me know as it really interests me.

Its just i asked Steve and Mark on here what these things are and whats best to have them on and i haven't deviated from that as i hate leaving these things down to my technology to decide.

I don't 100% know what they mean myself. But feel that SD content is looking very good to my eyes now, whether that is down to the two options in question or some other settings i am not sure really.

21. HaRd2BeAr

HaRd2BeAr
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,821
    Not all have it, my Sony has it on all four sides. Top and bottom is faint but left and right is fairly noticeable. Doesn't really bother me other than when i was in the picking fault and buyer remorse stage. Its not like your eyes focus on the edge of the image when you are watching something gripping. If they do its time to change the channel and put something better on. ;)

22. BaggieBoy

BaggieBoy
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks Paul, you were spot on. I had the HDMI setting on the Sky box to 1080, changing it to Automatic now causes the TV to switch to the correct aspect ratio.

23. Jeebus

Jeebus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks. You notice any uniformity issues when viewing dark scenes in an unlit room? My samsung d7000 has backlight bleed/clouding. All four corners have brighter patches plus random ones all over the screen. Its only noticable on dark scenes and with all lights in the room off.

24. Paul Cooksley

Paul Cooksley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    My 46" has the "crease" on the left hand side only - it's very small, unobtrusive and doesn't really affect normal viewing in any way, so it's never an issue with me.... I know it is for some, but just depends on the individual really as to whether or not you think it would annoy you....

I know we are all different, but I am an incredibly *picky* person when it comes to TV images and it really doesn't bother me one bit!

25. Paul Cooksley

Paul Cooksley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Steve and Mark are obviously pretty knowledgeable when it comes to this sort of thing, so I'll also give it a go on these settings!;)

26. HaRd2BeAr

HaRd2BeAr
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,821
    Uniformity on mine is good, i have a slightly brighter patch in the lower two corners. But with local dimming on they both disappear. Something i believe the 40NX723 doesn't have is local dimming but being 6inches smaller i would thing it would be better uniformity wise anyway. My 40HX723 had no edge bleed or uniformity issues, with or without local dimming on.

Aaron

27. Paul Cooksley

Paul Cooksley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Well, the 46" NX723 does have local dimming - well - LED Dynamic Control, which I think is supposed to be the same thing?

Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
  28. Jeebus

Jeebus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Does anyone know the difference between the 40NX723 and 40HX723? I thought the HX was the higher model? But on john lewis the NX is £799 (down from £1099) and the HX is £749...?

29. DJEggy

DJEggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the response - so how about the internet apps? I'm not that fussed about 3D either - I would like to have the technology if available - but I'm not going to be using it day in day out as I just don't rate it overall - even in the cinema - as a Glasses wearer putting 3D glasses infront of my Glasses give me a real headache! And before you mention - no I can't wear contacts! Anyway, I digress...

I'm really interested in the internet functionality though - can you provide some of your experiences on using this aspect of the TV?

30. Silverblack

Silverblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +578
    The 40nx723 is specced the same as the 40ex723 accept that it has better styling and the gorilla glass front they also share the same x-reality chip and 100hz processing.

The 40hx723 is better specced than both the ex723 and nx723 it's not as sleek as the nx723 but it has a better processor using the x-reality pro chip and the frame around that screen i think is metal and it has 200hz processing.

It also has a different panel too which reminds me alot of samsungs ultra clear panel screens, as in it's very glossy but i'm sure it enhances the depth of picture more compared to a matte screen.