Sony NWZ-A867 Jumping Issue

Gadgetmeister

Standard Member
I just got a Sony NWZ-A867 for my birthday. Seems a very nice player but there is one very annoying issue. On mix CD's there is a small jump when tracks change. The tracks play fine and sound quality is great but this little blip inbetween tracks is really spoiling it for me. Anyone got any idea why this might be happening? Wondering if the firmware is duff? This doesn't happen on my iTouch or my Samsung Galaxy SII :(

Last edited:

Gadgetmeister

Standard Member
Really?? that's terrible. I can't believe suppliers would still be putting to market products that can't support what is really a fundamental requirement for many music listeners i.e. gapless play back. Seems like I shall have to send it back then as I won't be happy keeping it if that is a design 'feature'.

Although, I may first try creating a gapless file using Audactiy or similar music editor and see if that addresses the jumping...

Steven

Senior Moderator
MP3 is not a natively gapless codec and requires investment on the part of the manufacturer to cater for. Even iPods with their advertised gapless playback over more recent generations does not get it right

eyeballKid

Novice Member
Steven said:
MP3 is not a natively gapless codec and requires investment on the part of the manufacturer to cater for. Even iPods with their advertised gapless playback over more recent generations does not get it right

Can't say I've had any problems with my 1st and 4th gen iPod Touches. I do import/convert to AAC though. But apple do at least understand the highly technical challenge (ie. the most basic understanding of buffering required) and put the effort into implementing gapless. Unlike pretty much everyone else...

deewire

Standard Member
I've owned a few ipod's also and I would agree, they seem to cope with gapless playback no bother. I haven't actually tried this on the Sony as I've actually stopped using it after only 2 weeks because of an even bigger issue I just cannot abide. The sound normalization which is supposed to correct the difference in volume levels, just does not work properly. On louder songs, it will reduce the volume during the song if it starts off with a quieter instrument such as acoustic guitar. When the remaining instruments come in later, the Sony cuts the volume as it suddenly realizes it had the original part of the sound too loud. This is soooo annoying and considering the ipod, itunes and Windows Media Player can do this simple task without any problem, why can't a giant company like Sony not sort this out. I have wasted £300 on this Walkman as I cannot use it. Surely the whole idea of digital music players is that they can store massive amounts of music, play them back in whatever order you choose and using clever software should be able to keep them the same volume! I have now purchased a new ipod touch and my Walkman is heading for ebay!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung TV Launch & QN95A Neo QLED Review, plus Film & TV news & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom