sony nwhd5h - playing in cars?

number9

Standard Member
Reaction score
:lease: I would like to play my nwhd5 through my car stereo (Yaris in built cd /radio).

1) Can I get a power adaptor for my sony to plug in to the cigarette lighter?
2) As there is no line-in on the stereo is a transmitter available to transfer the audio via an FM station as I have seen available for the ipods etc?

btw...

everyone please keep having a go at sony for firmware updates for this excellent player. The player database part of sonic stage is dross. Also, if I try to transfer lots of tracks from different albums at one go the tracks always seem to transfer faulty and give a "cannot read track" error on the player!! I now limit each transfer to about 20 or so tracks...

keep the info on the cases coming....thanks. :thumbsup:

If your stereo has a tape drive you can use a cassette adaptor for good sound quality. Otherwise you will have to use an FM transmitter, not sure which ones fit the HD5, but i know what there is a Sony one that powers in the cigarette lighter but its hard to get. And im not sure if it actually charges the HD5 itself.

Check the firmware update thread http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1996284#post1996284 , looks like it wont happen.

I had read the threads from a couple of months ago but I would have thought that there would have been further developments with this new player since then...

Re. my comment about problems transferring tracks. The problem seems to be greatest when I try to convert a number of mp3 files (usually 160 or 192 kbps) to atrac 105 kbps. I now just do these conversions an album at a time or if it's a compilation from several albums I'll limit it to about 15-20 tracks.

Some sort of mains adaptor for the car would be best but I won't hold my breath waiting...

I think that Sony stand a much better chance of crushing the opposition if they had included a decent case (plus one or two mods to the sonicstage s/ware). The flimsy pouch really lets the design down. The sound quality is superb and I use it through my hifi via the lineout. I would also like to be able to delete tracks via the player. In the eventuality that a transferred track is faulty, or I just get plain sick of a certain track, I would like to be able to erase it without going back to my pc to manage the track database!

These sound like a load of moans but it is still an excellent player.

I got an fm transmitter on e-bay from a guy in Singapore, I won the auction for £0.01 and it's the dogs! I'm using it with my NW-HD3. It's universal, anything with a 3.5mm stereo jack can be used to provide the input. It's all housed in a small package no bigger than the cigarette lighter fitting for your car charger. Just set your Sony to 'line out', choose one of the 4 available frequencies (there's a little slider switch), tune to it on your car radio and away you go. Good strong signal and sound quality. I'm still using the internal battery on the Sony but it's not a bother for me. Search for 'fm transmitter' on ebay, there are loads.

Any know, are these things legal in the UK?

toratosaru said:
I got an fm transmitter on e-bay from a guy in Singapore, I won the auction for £0.01 and it's the dogs! I'm using it with my NW-HD3. It's universal, anything with a 3.5mm stereo jack can be used to provide the input. It's all housed in a small package no bigger than the cigarette lighter fitting for your car charger. Just set your Sony to 'line out', choose one of the 4 available frequencies (there's a little slider switch), tune to it on your car radio and away you go. Good strong signal and sound quality. I'm still using the internal battery on the Sony but it's not a bother for me. Search for 'fm transmitter' on ebay, there are loads.

Any know, are these things legal in the UK?

FM transmitters are ILLEGAL in the UK. Effectively, you're broadcasting to an open frequency without a licence.

Like anybody actually cares, or is likely to prosecute you ...

I just bought one for 1p too. That new column on ebay giving the P&P costs is a god send. It makes comparing the stupidly high P&P prices from teh Far East easy.

I'm looking forward to broadcasting my tunes to the nation!

shadowritten said:
FM transmitters are ILLEGAL in the UK. Effectively, you're broadcasting to an open frequency without a licence.

OH MY GOD !!! I'm breaking the law? I'll throw it away, right now......snik snik

Most built in radio heads no have a special socket for pluggung in a CD changer or the like which is pretty standard and you can buy a ready made lead terminating in a 3.5mm jack plug.

I'll try and find the part No. and repost.

HD5 charges via USB, I've seen cigarette-usb adapters, may work very well for you and easy to buy since it's not "sony specific".

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
I heard that FM transmissions are heavily compressed and constrained bandwidth wise so you won't get anywhere near as good sound quality through a modulator as you would with a direct connection. Is this true ? If so what is the real effect on the sound quality ?

Most of the new Sony Head Unit range has a feature called 'Walkman Control'.

AFAIK it's very new, and I can't find a supplier for the required optional cable yet.

But it will allow you to control your walkman and browse your tracks via your headunit like normal Sony remotes.

I can only hope it switches the HD5 to line out mode when connected, that would be cool.

It's a shame that the new range is a bit too chav-tastic for my liking, the cheapest (CDX-6550?) is £104 from pixmania, minus the optional cable.

6550 is £103 from amazon (inc saver delivery) and halfords can get the cable as a special order for £50 a mate is planning to put a NWHD5 and 6550 in his car with walkman control so i will let you know how it goes...........................

thefair1973 said:
I just bought one for 1p too. That new column on ebay giving the P&P costs is a god send. It makes comparing the stupidly high P&P prices from teh Far East easy.

I'm looking forward to broadcasting my tunes to the nation!

I am amazed that Ebay haven't shut this postal cost scam down yet. Basically, its depriving them of their comission.

What is the listing fee on something with no reserve and a final sale price of 1p?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom