Sony NWHD5 is it worth 100 quid

motty

Standard Member
i have just seen this in argos for £99.I was going to get it for my dad but have read too many negative comments to offset the good ones.If or when the buttons crack will the unit still work for some time to come.

And the software,how easy out of 10 because i have still got a rio riot and the software was crap but i still get my songs on it albeit very slowly.

so come on guys help me:smashin:

S

shadowritten

Definitely worth a punt at £100 - I paid £217 for mine! Ignore the negative comments. Yes, it's not as easy to operate as an iPod, but it's not incredibly difficult, either. Same goes for iTunes over SonicStage (the bundled software), which I'd give a generous 7.5 out of 10 for ease of use. There are restrictions on the movement of music files which don't suit everyone; and the only reason I got shot of mine was because SonicStage was playing up on my PC. Ironically, I've since got it working again!

extremelydodgy

Apart from having 10 gigs less, I'd say the HD5 is better in some ways than the current Sony player. At £100 it's definitely worth getting.

K

KJ_Palmer

Definitely worth £100. Mine cost double that 6 months ago... the cracking buttons were with the earlier models, I believe, so hopefully this one is a later model where the problem is fixed. The Sonictage software isn't too bad at all, and if you update to version 3.4 you'll get quite a nice fully featured program.
Which version is it, by the way - 20GB (red, black,silver), or 30GB (silver)?

Cracks or no cracks, it's worth that for the sound quality. I paid 200 in May 2005 - no regrets. Best sound I've heard from a portable player (although granted I've not used many).

J

jknightsmith

If you only have £100 I'd say its the best player to buy. Had mine for a while now and still love it, think I paid £185. But still I don't enjoy using sonic stage, I'd download a copy and try it out. If you can handle it, thats a freat deal.

James

A

andyfair

None of the Argos stores within a 30 mile radius of my house have any left. If anyone becomes aware of where you can get one of these for £100 please post here.

I have talked myself out of an NWA3000 because it seems as per Ipods, you can't replace the battery if it goes kaput.

Maidenpriest

Novice Member
extremelydodgy said:
Apart from having 10 gigs less, I'd say the HD5 is better in some ways than the current Sony player. At £100 it's definitely worth getting.

10gig less from what, the hd5 is 20 gig!

S

shadowritten

MAIDENPRIEST said:
10gig less from what, the hd5 is 20 gig!

Think he's referring to the limited edition new Walkmans. One model comes in black and has 30GB storage. Or he might just mean 10GB less than the HD5H, which has 30GB.

recsnmisc

Standard Member
I still think it is worth the 250 € (=~ 170 £) I paid for it 6 months ago.
100 £ is a bargain for such a nice player.
Get it!

T88

Standard Member
ah man...i spent ages on this site checkin whether the Sony was any good, but in the end i just bought it...and it is the best mp3 player i have ever had..the battery life is amazing....
...but, i have the Sony hd5hs...so the buttins are a bit different...mine havent broke yet, and i got it when it came out...

drmoze

Standard Member
The "cracking buttons" issue on the HD5 is really just a minor cosmetic nitpick that got many people's panties in a bunch. It is not that obvious, and it does NOT affect the functionality at all.:cool:

peterjf

Novice Member
shadowritten said:
Think he's referring to the limited edition new Walkmans. One model comes in black and has 30GB storage. Or he might just mean 10GB less than the HD5H, which has 30GB.

I didn't know that any of the current range had a 30GB capacity, nor can I find it anywhere - please can you post a link or point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance.

vtah236

Standard Member
Happytab said:
Is that the result of scientific research, or perhaps, just your opinion ;)

Scientific research, using a sample of approximately 18 people to whom I have been showing off my toy.

I am disappointed that the Channel 5 Gadget Show this week excluded the HD5 from the short head-to-head feature where the equivalent sized iPod was set up against the relevant Creative and Toshiba product

Happytab

Standard Member
vtah236 said:
Scientific research, using a sample of approximately 18 people to whom I have been showing off my toy.

I suspect, after having to look at your toy, the 18 people would think that an HD5 looks good :rotfl:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Paradigm launches Founder speaker series
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 3rd March 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Music revenue in U.S. sees vinyl sales overtake CD
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Philips TV to offer Mimi Sound Personalisation