1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony NWHD at Argos: Advice please..!

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Paul Cooksley, Oct 21, 2005.

1. Paul Cooksley

Paul Cooksley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Hi there

I was thinking about getting a Sony MP3 player - but just wondered exactly if anyone knows what model number exactly is the one sold by Argos for £199.99... in the book it's just down as NWHD .... is this the '5' model which is/to be discontinued? Is it a decent buy?

Also: It says battery can be recharged using USB2 socket.... (Sorry I know nothing much about these players, so forgive my ignorance) but... can you reacharge the player from a normal USB port? (I don't have USB2 on my machine - does this make any difference?) Also.. how long roughly from empty does it take to fully charge??

Any help really really appreciated

Thanks

Paul

2. IanPM

IanPM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    £199 is too much, you can get it cheaper from Amazon.

You should be able to charge the player from any USB port, as long as it can probide enough power. It will be very slow putting yuor tunes on though. You also get a mains power adaptor. THe batter lasts at least 24 hours on a full charge. It takes about 2 hours to charge from the mains, or possibly twice as long from USB.

Hope that helps, its a great player, and even though its discontinued, well worth buying.

3. mcfarfs

mcfarfs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    It is the HD5.

Although £199 is more than most places, I like to buy from Argos because if it breaks within the guarantee then you can get a refund/replacement without any problem, even if it is broken because of your fault. They don't like to argue!

4. Paul Cooksley

Paul Cooksley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    ...thats one of the reasons I choose to buy from Argos - they are usually pretty good at replacing things/taking things back if faulty ..

So, it's a decent buy then really...... just a tad concerned about the volume issues I have read about on here ... but there again, that's something to do with the volume capping and can be got around quite easily via the methods mentioned.

I presume it sounds pretty good too.... Are the supplied earphones any good or do you need to buy another pair? I am sure I have read that it is best to use an alternative headset??

Just one more quickie ... Does the battery life stand up to the 40hrs claim? If so, that's pretty good...... I was going to go for the standard 20gb ipod from Argos for £209 but liked the look of this Sony and thought I would go for this instead....

Cheers for your help

Paul

5. KJ_Palmer

KJ_Palmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You should really consider getting sone decent alternative earphones for your HD5. The supplied ones won't do it justice, and yes it's worth forking out some extra for a better sound, if/when you can afford them. My choice is the Sennheiser MX550, which cost around £20.

I tried the volume hack on my recently purchased HD5 and it worked very well.

6. mcfarfs

mcfarfs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I have the MX550s, they are pretty good. Although if you don't mind headphones rather than earbuds, the PX100s and PX200s are much better. I have both of them as well!

The battery life of the HD5 in reality is probably 25-30 hours at a push. I usually get 15-25 hours, but that includes a lot of changing songs halfway through.

7. drmoze

drmoze
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If you don't mind a thin headband, then I highly recommend the Sony MDR-A34L and -A44L's. I use them with my HD5 (and NW-E107).asThey have the 16mm vertical drivers, still very portable, great bass and clear highs, very efficient/loud too! And they are pretty inexpensive.

8. wormvortex

wormvortex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +347
    get these ones:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00008XYJL/qid=1129923140/202-9211095-5078214

they rule, also i wouldn't recommend the NW-HD's mine as well as both the other people i know get random error messages and my playlist disappears forceing me to turn the battery off and back on. If that werent enough sonic stage is one of the worst programs i have ever used

9. Poodle

Poodle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There's an NW-HD5 firmware upgrade to ver.1.2 that you can get from here: HD5 upgrade

You only need it if you only have firmware version 1.1 installed (all recent HD5's have 1.2), it may help with your HD5 woes. Personally I've never had any problems with my HD5 or the software- I think it's lovely.. ;)

10. vtah236

vtah236
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My ancient HP machine, still with Windows 98, recharges my HD5 fine using the USB socket at the back. If you don't want to faff about with the back of your machine, trying to find the socket, then I recommend you buy a USB extension wire (many cheap memory sticks come with one supplied).