Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Sony NWE407 Pre-Purchase Questions

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by duruque, Aug 4, 2005.

1. duruque

duruque

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey,

In the light of the current problems with the NW-HD5 (dents and cracking buttons, I just cant live with them), I was planning to buy a Sony NWE407, the cool looking flash players.

In fact I just have one question:

One of the main reasons why I wanted a NW-HD5 was that it has a removable battery so if it died, I could just replace it by myself.

However this tiny sexy NWE407 does not seem to have. So that is mean that after like 1 or 2 years, I would be left with a player which can play less than it did in the past?

How much effect would there be?

Thanks in advance to everyone

2. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    1 or 2 years only extends to the third generation iPod, which had a poor battery life so you had to keep discharging it to the full which robs the Li-ion battery of the available full charge cycles quickly.

Latter day iPods, Creatives, Sony's and whatever else nowadays with a built in battery and a half decent battery life means that you'll get more than 2 years service out of them. I would not worry about it. The removable battery thing was only started because of the 3G iPod, and other manufacturer's need to differentiate themselves from that. There's a select few people (long-duration travellers) who would really use the battery life extension enabled by replaceable batteries, but most wouldn't.

After all, how often do you change your mobile phone's battery and will it still be made when it reaches a point where it's no longer able to hold a charge? The same (in fact, the availability of the replacement batteries in the future will be less certain than a popular mobile phone) will apply.

3. Falp

Falp
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I changed batterys in all my mobile phones, except since I've got my company professional mobiles...

4. mossey

mossey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a NW-407, 1Gb in black.

This thing is sweet except for the software but that aside its great.

You can open it up and remove the battery by removing the two tiny screws by the USB jack and opening it up. I discovered that in the manual it also shows how to replace the battery.

5. duruque

duruque

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What kind of battery does it use? Would I be able to go and buy one from the street?

6. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    No. All of these are special batteries and have to be ordered from Sony (and in some cases, fitted by one of their service centres). Most machines with inbuilt batteries usually have some sort of Return To Base battery replacement service.

7. rojack

rojack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i got one of these babies 3 month ago - and it's an awesome little thing
    the battery has never caused me any anguish whatsoever - and if the thing goes belly-up in 2-3 years there'll be newer, slicker machines available that you'll want... buy the player, you won't regret it :)

the only criticism i have is that the display (which is superb indoors) can be awkward to read in bright light outdoors... just duck into a darkened doorway and all is fine ;)

8. KeanosMagicHat

KeanosMagicHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +553
    :D - So if I see people all over Köln "ducking into darkened doorways" I should not immediately assume they are odd.

You learn something new every day !!!