Sony NWE-405 Charging?

thejudge

Standard Member
Reaction score
Does the Sony NWE-400 series charge its battery via a PC USB port only?
I can't find a definitive answer on the sony website.

USB only. Although if you order something like the Creative Zen Micro AC adapter, that will charge it too (because it's a USB-socketed AC adapter which outputs 5V @ 1A max).

I'm now considering the iRiver IFP895 as an alternative as it uses AA batteries which i think are of far greater use than a Lithium battery which can only be charged via USB. Get your act together Sony!

Music on the move is music on the move not music as long as you can pitstop for a quick usb charge up!

Yeah... I guess there is that. I'm not far away from a computer any day so it's never worried me. Besides, you need a USB port to load these things anyway... However if independence from a computer is the case then iAudio is worth looking into as well as iRiver.

If you fancy something simple and cheap, there's the Creative Muvo TX SE 1Gb at the moment for well under £100 from askdirect.co.uk, the Muvo TX 512MB or the Muvo V200. All of these have a two-half design of battery compartment (AAA) and player + built in USB jack (which is useful). Sound is respectable and the loading is among the fastest of all flash players.

Just bought the Wife a Creative N200 512MB so i want one slightly better (just to annoy her). I'll look into the iAudio. The USB charging isn't a major problem but i primarily wanted an mp3 player for when i'm on holiday so i'd prefer a seperate charger and/or removable AA or AAA battery.

Thanks for the advice.

I see. I think it's funny that the cheapest player has the fastest loading myself... the Muvos outstrip the iRivers by quite a margin. I've got rid of all my flash iRivers recently (799. 895, n10) and am waiting for the iAudio 5 which is supposed to be able to match the Creatives in terms of loading speed. The new T20 from iRiver tempted me for a while, but without definitive confirmation of loading speed and the lack of annyoing little bugs which become big ones (which is pretty common in iRivers), I was more inclined to take a chance on the iAudio. Apparently it's not without a few oddities itself but is reckoned to be the best in this category.

The Sony's have glacial loading times in comparison with all of these and looks nice, however I hardly ever used mine much (both the 405 and the 507) because it wasn't as functional as the Creatives or the iRivers... with a display I couldn't see in daylight, and the need for Sonicstage to transfer music. The Sonys were also given the heave-ho recently (my dream at this moment is to have only two or three flash players that I find genuinely usable...!). But if you are set on it as I said the Creative Zen Micro charger will work.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom