Sony NW S706F / SonicStage problems - help needed!

B

brendo

Hi, I recently bought this Sony Walkman product, my first mp3 player. I've been having problems with the supplied software, and I wondered if anyone could help :

The supplied CD contained version 4.1 of SonicStage. When it reaches the stage of installing the "driver", towards the end, it suddenly terminates. The software will still load up, but I'm sure something vital is missing. For instance, although I've been able to import and transfer CDs, I cant get the CD info - a pop up box says I need to register, but then wont link to whatever it is (Gracenote?) I need to go to to register.

So, I went to the Sony site and tried to download version the latest version of SonicStage (4.3) hoping that would solve my problems. Despite taking forever to download from the server (must have been an hour and I do have broadband), all it seems to do is install the pdf guide, a link to Sonys website, and uninstall the 4.1 software! It then asks me to insert Disk 1 - even though I'm taking it from the server... Leading me to have to re-install version 4.1, and get the same original problems again . . .:mad:

I suppose the main issue I have is with the version 4.1 and the CD info problem - the problem with 4.3 was just my attempt to get around this, I really dont care if I have the latest version, I just want it to do what its supposed to!. Can anyone help?:lease:

First thing I'd do is remove the current install as it sounds like it hasn't installed cleanly.

REBOOT PC

Next download the Full SS 4.3CP install as a single package from here

http://www.vaio-link.com/downloads/...SST-01198206-UN.exe&ip=SOASST-01198206-UN.htm

This will get you round the horrible Sony Web install that can be painfully slow at times.

Once installed give your PC another REBOOT

Hook your player off and try it again :smashin:

I used to have the same problem on my old PC with version 3.3 (I think) of SS. The reason you are getting the error message is that the 'SonicStage Add-on' is not installing for some reason - this seems to prevent the driver from installing and crashes the whole process. (I think the install process got to about 90% before crashing.) As I have not had the problem since I bought my current PC last year, I cannot remember how I got round it. I think I simply tried repeating the installation and, as I remember, it would eventually install properly on about the sixth attempt.

You may get a successful installation if you do a complete clean uninstall (which basically involves manually deleting the files, folders and registry entries left behind by the standard Windows uninstall process). Go to the forums of Atraclife.com and do a search for uninstall - this way you should come across the step-by-step instructions.

Good luck!

I never was able to get 4.1 to install, I found 4.2 on the web and it stalled just fine. 4.3 is out now and again the install worked fine.

I never was able to get 4.1 to install, I found 4.2 on the web and it stalled just fine. 4.3 is out now and again the install worked fine.

Have to agree with your second point - I currently use 4.2 (downloaded from the Sony support site) and have had no trouble at all with it. I did not use 4.1 and have not yet bothered with 4.3.

Have to agree with your second point - I currently use 4.2 (downloaded from the Sony support site) and have had no trouble at all with it. I did not use 4.1 and have not yet bothered with 4.3.

ditto, above comment.I don't have any problems with SS. Is 4.3 any better/different ??

Only problem I have is seeing the players screen in the sun.I use mine on the bike with an Autocom system.

Thanks for the various replies!

Unfortunately, I am still no closer to getting it to work - I've tried all the rebooting, installing different versions downloaded from various places, uninstalling etc., but still the same - from the 'net it takes ages to install, (except the bit that says it will takes "several minutes" takes seconds, which is odd), and all I am left with in my start menu under Sonic Stage is a link to the sony website. And the version on the disk only seems to install about half way before terminating, and then wont work properly.

Perhaps someone could tell me whereabouts the actual .exe. or whatever SS uses, is actually installed on my PC - maybe its just not appearing on my Start menu correctly.

Anyway, further thanks for the Atraclife link - maybe I'll ask the same question over there, although if anyone has any further bright ideas here, please let me know! :lesson:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom