1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony nw-hd's - Bookmarks ?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Phil K, Apr 12, 2005.

1. Phil K

Phil K

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have heard that the bookmark facility is pretty crappy on the nw-hd's. I have been told (via net reviews that is) that the Sony bookmark facility just puts the bookmark at the BEGINNING of the track - utterly useless if you're using the mp3 player for audiobooks as I do. What is the REAL facts from REAL users ?

Also - anyone know if the new HD5 will be able to use the same remote that the nw-hd1 and nw-hd3 do ? :confused:

2. mcfarfs

mcfarfs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Yes it will. The bookmark isn't really a bookmark like the name implies. It doesn't bookmark during songs. It just acts like an on-the-go playlist, allowing you to add songs to it. But you are limited to 99 songs. If you are considering buying an NW-HD, I suggest you wait til the HD5 comes out in a month or so.

3. Phil K

Phil K

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Meaning ? That the nw-hd5 WILL do proper bookmarks, a la the iaudio m3 ?
    It actually reads (sorry if I misunderstand) that you are saying that the nw-hd's do just that - put the "bookmark" at the beginning not where you actually wish it to be. Or are you saying it will take the remotes used for its predessessors ? :)

4. mcfarfs

mcfarfs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Sorry, wasnt very clear was it!

All Sony remotes (to my knowledge) are compatible with NW-HDs.

Bookmark is just Sony's name for on-the-go playlist. It will not bookmark songs 1/2 way through them , it just adds them to the "bookmark" folder on the player. Bare in mind, however, that if you stop play and turn off the player during a song it will resume exactly where it left off.

5. holymonk

holymonk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    as said before, the bookmark function suck bigtime.. Right now im listening to Dan Brown's "The Da Vinci Code" , however this feature doesnt help me at all.

6. Cloysterpeteuk

Cloysterpeteuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,072
    I use my ipod more for audiobooks than music, I would probably go for a Sony if they had audiobook features. My ipod has it's own folder for audiobooks which can be placed on the main menu, all audiobooks also have one bookmark - so when you go play music and come back to the book you will still be in the right place, gets annoying as hell having to fast forward through twenty hours of audio to find your place!. It's far from perfect on the ipod though, whenever you go from music back to the book it will play fine for a few minutes then it will lose it's place!, meaning you have to pause the audiobook for a few seconds when you start it to load it into the memory cache or something?!?. There's also terrible support from Apple for the audiobooks functions, they make it annoying as hell to make your own bookmarkable files (.m4b), hell I think they only have the audiobook menu becuase they flog audio books from i-tunes for rip off prices that no-one can afford. Does anyone know if there is any other player out there that can handle .m4b files?.

7. Phil K

Phil K

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Agreed - and the main problem with Sony is they never EVER listen to complaints from users - look at how EVEN NOW they STILL keep going with Sonicstage which is sodding ludicrously bad. They took an age - and only because of mocking from the media - to allow mp3 playing - never mind OGG FLAC or anything new (and better) the Sony bosses responsible and their technicians need a good kicking for ignoring bookmarks. PROPER bookmarks. :thumbsdow

8. Phil K

Phil K

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I believe the iAudio's do :smashin: