1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony NW-HD5 -V- Toshiba gigabeat

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by TheSoulMaster, May 4, 2005.

1. TheSoulMaster

TheSoulMaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I had just about made up my mind to go with the 30gb HD5 when they come out later this month & then last night, pick up a copy of STUFF magazine & they rave about the new Toshiba ............

Anyone got any comments - are Toshiba leaders in this marketplace, I think not !!!

But the Gigabeat does look very nice - I'm away to Singapore next month, maybe I should just wait to see what's out there as opposed to buy here ?

Tks in advance for your comments,

TSM

2. Oddbodd

Oddbodd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    I think you'll find the HD5 is 20gig not 30.
    Cheers,
    Oddbodd.

3. mrtbag

mrtbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +395
    Sony are dong a 30gb special edition. Only available from them.

4. Oddbodd

Oddbodd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    :oops: Sorry I didn't know that.
    Do you know how much this model is going to cost compared to the 20 gig?
    cheers,
    Oddbodd.

5. watchinthewheel

watchinthewheel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if the hd5 is the same quality as the hd3 it will be hard to beat but never discount a newcomer, sony proved that with the playstation. perhaps the toshiba would be a good bet? personaly i like sony so i would go for the hd5 but i havent tried the toshiba so my view isnt the most educated on the subjest.

6. Hasselhoffia

Hasselhoffia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What should be an indicator is the cost of the harddrive itself, as I'm betting thats about the only thing that will change.

Span.com sell the 20 Gig version of the drive (Toshiba 1.8" ATA6 MK2006GAL Emerald Bare (20gb, 4200rpm, mb) ) for £84+vat.

They sell the 30 Gig version (Toshiba 1.8" ATA6 MK2006GAL Emerald Bare (20gb, 4200rpm, mb) ) for... wait for it........ £85+vat.

Of course there's no way that Sony will sell a 30 Gig Special Edition for an extra quid, but there you go.

Course they might do some modifications to the drives before they go in the players but still...

7. Alcahest

Alcahest
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey All,
    I have had a gigabeat G20 for a year and a half and filled it up fully.
    So I've been looking for a new HDD player with more than 20GB.
    My choices ended up being either the Sony NW-HD5H (30GB) or the MEG400 gigabeat G40 (40GB).

[​IMG]

To chose between the 2 units was an EXTREMLY hard thing to do :cool:
    But in the end, I chose the gigabeat G40.
    Here's why:
    Let's look at what the HD5 advantages are over the gigabeat:

-removable battery (gigabeat: built-in)
    -40 hours battery life (gigabeat: 11 hours)
    -lcd remote control is avaible (not for gigabeat, even as an optional item)

While the 40 hours battery length is secondary for my use (it's not a problem for me to recharge the gigabeat every 10 hours of use) i must say the fact of it being removable is a definite plus (for the gigabeat, you need to send it back for Toshiba to change it for you)

Now let's look at the gigabeat advantages:

- I find its design better than the NW-HD5's (but that may be just me ^_^)
    - The supplied software to transfer audio files (Toshiba Audio Application) is MUCH quicker and simpler to use than SS3.1
    - the navigation system on the gigabeat unit is very intuitive and hassle-free.
    - the gigabeat has Wireless LAN feature on its charge stand to make a wireless connection to PC.
    - sound quality is fantastic (since i had a G20 before and know what to expect on Toshiba's player)
    - The gigabeat supports native MP3s (VBR incl.), WMA (even those with DRM) and uncompressed WAVs (no forced format conversion bullsh*t)
    - Supports M3U playlist created with Winamp ^^

Basically, the main reason why I chose the G40 over the NW-HD5H is because of the way it works as far as software/navigation is concerned.

The Toshiba Audio Application software is akin to Windows Explorer, you have the drives on the left pane, the files on the right. You just drag and drop music folders to the gigabeat drive and it transmits. Takes about 30 seconds for a full album with USB2.
    While transfering, the software reads the ID3Tags of the files being transmitted and builds 2 small databases : "artist" and "album"
    You can then navigate via 3 ways on the gigabeat unit :
    1. Browse : You see the folders (albums) exactly as you organized them during the transfer procedure. You can go in subfolders, go up, etc.. it's UP TO YOU how you want to organize the folder tree during the transfer procedure for fast and easy navigation afterwards on the gigabeat itself.
    2. Library
    -by Artist (allows you to browse by artist names alphabetically)
    -by Album (allows you to browse by album names alphabetically)
    Since you organize the folders yourself, compilation are treated just as any other album. Their tags are used to build the 2 mini (album & artist) databases. You can then have many playlists which point to the same audio file, there is no restriction whatsoever. Just create a playlist as you see fit with winamp, put it where you want on your gigabeat and you're set.
    With Toshiba Audio Application, there are no useless duplicate databases of audio files on your PC like with SS 3.1, no "Connect" verification/authentication bullsh*t, no hassle to transfer files to your DAP, you can transfer files from as many PC as you want, and better than all : you put the files / folders wherever you want on the player (in subfolders, at the root of the drive, etc..) and they are played from there right away.
    So, for all these reasons, i said yaye for the gigabeat G40 :D
    Later,

Alcahest

8. lukey

lukey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the new giga beat looks fab and is definitely better than the last one

only problem with the HD5 is there is still a volume issue, i.e. its not loud enough if your like me and like to really turn the volume up.

Not sure about the new design either, a bit boxy, much prefered the hd3 for looks anyway

9. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,239
    There is a fix for the EU imposed volume limit on ALL DAPs. OK, Sony still quieter than others. What I mean is, as HD3 has a volume fix, HD5 probably will too. Although I don't like look of buttons on it. Prefer my HD3. As for volume, its loud enough for me. I only need it at max of two-thirds in noisy place e.g college. Just get canal phones if u want to pump it up

10. Alcahest

Alcahest
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  11. Phil K

Phil K

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think you'll find there is a 30gb coming out too.

12. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,239
    Yes the 30gb is limited edition, apparently, according to Sony. The 20gb isn't

13. jason.dunn

jason.dunn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    NEW TOSHIBA GIGABEAT!!! Due June!!!

Available in 10Gb, 20Gb, 40 Gb and 60Gb HDD

2.2inch LCD Colour Screen QVGA (240x320)
    MP3, WMA and WAV Compatible
    USB 2.0 & 1.1
    28 Equaliser settings + manual
    16 Hours Playback
    On screen guide
    Display album artwork
    Plus-sign shaped touch sensor
    Charging via USB
    Windows DRM 10 / Napster-To-Go Compatible
    Play For Sure Compatible
    JPEG Viewer
    Multi language

Dimensions: Width 63mm x Height 106mm x Depth 16mm
    Weight: 160g

Included in box:
    - USB Docking station for ripping and charging
    - AC Adaptor + Cable
    - USB Cable
    - Software
    - Earphones

Jay :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

14. PRE0ATS

PRE0ATS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To confirm, the 30GB NW-HD5 (known as NW-HD5H) is available for pre-order on the sonystyle uk site for £229! They will be shipped direct at the end of may - I've just ordered one.

Anyone wanting a look at the user manual for the HD5/HD5H (including working of UI etc.), it is avaialble to download here:

http://www.sonydigital-link.com/manuals/manuals.asp?l=en&c=PA&f=NWM

Also, the EU law requirement to limit the total volume out put of portable audio equipment, as found on the HD1 and HD3, will again present on the HD5 (and HD5H), but as stated above, the 'crack' available for the HD3 and HD1 also works for the HD5/HD5H. See the start of the thread linked below:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=184051&page=25&pp=15

Hope this helps!