1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony NW-HD5 Questions

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Kycleung, Aug 25, 2005.

1. Kycleung

Kycleung

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, i've had my HD5 for around 2 months now, and thanxs to DotNet, have solved one of my problems - the volume. :thumbsup:

However, i was wondering how long other owners of the HD5 get from their battery? The main reason i bought the HD5 over the ipod was for battery life, however mine only seems to last 14 hours max on midway volume. For example, i listened to it for around 2 hours on the plane and the bar had already gone down by 1/4.

My other question is: Will Sony release a MAC version of SonicStage, as right now i am having to use my sister's PC to transfer my songs, which is a hassle.

Thanxs in advance,
    Kycleung :)

2. IanPM

IanPM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hmmm, thats odd about your battery. Are you listening to it on shuffle? What bitrate are your mp3s.

I listen to mine on the way into work, and most of the day during work and its the end of the day now, I just checked it, and its still showing full.

Do you play around with it a lot? I.E. select tracks manually and change settings much, those all eat power.

I would say 30 hours should be possible. Do a test, charge it up full. Find an album, press play and leave it on repeat. See how long it takes for the battery to die.

3. Kycleung

Kycleung

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, thanxs for the reply.

I don't listen to it on shuffle and most of my songs are 128/192kbps bitrate.
    I hardly ever change the settings, but i do select songs manually most of the time.
    I'll try the test in a few days, since i'm going away tomorrow.

Thanxs again,
    Kycleung

4. IanPM

IanPM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    No problem, as a sort of simpler test, you could make one huge playlist that contains your favourite songs, try listening to that instead of selecting them manually. Might help.

5. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,211
    I have a HD3, which is rated at 30 hrs for optimal conditions (no backlight, EQ off etc) and I get more than that! I average 18-24 hrs

6. szsiddiq1214

szsiddiq1214

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just a general observation, not sure where to post it, but has anyone else noticed that sonic stage transfers album art on to the hd5? wander wut that cud be for...

7. KeanosMagicHat

KeanosMagicHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +554
    14 hours seems a bit low unless you access it quite a bit during that time to select tracks, activate backlight etc or random play as others have said.

As for the battery bar going down a 1/4 it is not linear so don't worry about that.

I did a battery test and got just over 35hrs (without touching a thing) but the last 8 hours of that were with one bar and about 2 hours or so with the battery light flashing.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=229454&highlight=battery+test

8. ak47wong

ak47wong
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    What makes you think it transfers album art to the HD5? SonicStage can store album art, lyrics, and so on, but I don't believe they get transferred to the player.

Andrew

9. szsiddiq1214

szsiddiq1214

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "What makes you think it transfers album art to the HD5? SonicStage can store album art, lyrics, and so on, but I don't believe they get transferred to the player." - Andrew

oh, but it does, i can view them physically on the hd5...i guess in downloading whole folders of music, album art gets attached, and when importing these folders into sonic stage, the art is carried into the sonic stage database,and when the music is transfered to the hd5, the album art is as well...this might just be a standard operation by sonic stage, to accomodate players, like the vaio pocket, which have the ability to view the files...id hafta ask someone with a flash player if it does the same...if this is not the case, and it does it specifically for the hd5, then id guess that its an operation embedded in the firmware of the hd5, allowing for the processes to be there for a future player with a color screen (hd7 - fingers crossed)...
    i guess we'll see...
    but if u do have album art in any of ur folders imported into sonic stage, then take a look at ur hd5 as a removable harddrive in my computer...the first folders are made up of omg files, but the last few folders will be jpegs of album art.

10. ak47wong

ak47wong
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Oh, I see. I didn't know that, partly because I don't have any album art in SonicStage and because I never actually bothered to browse through the folders on the HD5. Thanks for the info.

I always laugh when I see "omg" files.

By the way, an easier way to do quoting is to click the "Quote" button at the bottom right of each post :)

Andrew

11. Beethovenian

Beethovenian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It also transfers art to my HD1, which means it just transfers the music file as archived, and if that includes album art, it goes as well. But I would suppose the future HD player will come with color screen. After all, all iPods do it now. Sony can't be so behind.

Oh, and on the topic, once I got 11 hours of playback with my HD1 when it reached the last bar. It was the only battery test I did. Usually, it decreases one bar very fast, in a couple of hours at most, and then takes more time with the second bar and so on. But if I use the menu a lot and keep bookmarking tracks, for instance, I can reduce battery life drastically and have for a full charge less than the 11 hours I got with only the last bar.

12. szsiddiq1214

szsiddiq1214

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    lol, yea i kno, i just forgot to add that in the first place, and went back and added it in after editing it, and then cudnt figure out how to do it from there, and realized that it wasnt really that important in the end...tho now il remember to just stick in teh quote code here, and see if it picks it up....
    see if that works...lol, thanks tho!

13. sulk

sulk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As for the Album art, theres a Hi-MD, that has a colour screen and a digitial camera. That MD can display album art, so I'm assuming that sonic stage transfers it anyways, and if the player supports the album cover, then itll show that, if it doesnt, then it just an extra <500kb on the player. Also the vaio mp3 player has a colour screen ( i think), and that might also show album art. So yea, thats probably why,cause some players can display it. And also future players will probably have colour screens, and so if 3.1 SS can transfer it to them, they dont have to create a new SS when that comes out, just for album art to be shown.

-Sulk

14. Kycleung

Kycleung

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, i'm in the middle of the battery test, its now been on 1/2 volume (after taking off the limitation), with the EQ on, playing a song at 128kbps.

It's approaching 21 hours and the battery is on its last 1/4. Still curious to see how much longer it will last.

Kycleung