1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony NW-HD5 pre-purchase questions

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by jjust, Aug 3, 2005.

1. jjust

jjust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Just a few HD5 qs...

a) does the HD5 work with those Sony headphones that have the inline volume/track changing buttons (I can't remember the technical name)
    b) are there any 'hacks' to
    i) to copy files from the device back to the computer
    ii) bypass sonicstage to directly copy mp3s to the HD5 (seems like no)
    c) how does the device function as an external hard disk - is there a separate partition for normal files or soemthing (do you have to prespecify)
    d) is the Sony warranty international (I live in Aus but I'm moving to the UK in Oct)

I'm sorry if these have been asked a billion times before.

Cheers.

2. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi ill see if i can answer some.

A) Never heard of it....but if it works like a remote it think any remote can change track but not sure if it can do anything else......

B)i)You can copy music back to the computer with sonicstage....and with SS3.2 you can copy it back to any computer as well. (in 3.1 you can only copy to the original computer)

ii) No but why would you want to...just use sonicstage.

c) The device acts as en external hard drive as soon as you plug it in the usb, it basically shows the root directory and in a folder there is all the encoded music and the rest is free for you to use....there is no annoying partitioning like the zen, which also means you can defragment the player.

d) Not sure about warranty....ask whereever you buy it from.

3. jjust

jjust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hmm looking into A I see that there are lots of inline volume controls which I guess work independent of the device. But I'm sure I saw a track changing one somewhere - sony headphones for minidisc palyer control.. could be wrong

4. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok are you talking about a wired romote control for the HD5? Like the ones that come with MiniDisk players?....yeah ive got one of those....how about I test it out for you.
    This is the editing remote control that came with my minidisk player (model 1 gen prior to net MD, unfortunately)

Hmmm, very interesting results...:

Buttons and what they do on the HD5:

- Forward/Play - This will only act as a fast forward or skip button, Not play.

- Backward - Rewinds or skips backwards.

- Stop/Enter - Stops the player.

- Volume (+/-) - changes the volume normally

- Edit - Nothing

- Caps/pause - i really can't figure out what this does, its almost like a skip function but not...It seems to work like i move forward button...it changes the song anyway.....hmm it seems to actually select a random track even with shuffle off. Thats kinda handy i guess.

- Tmark - It seems to do the opposite to Caps/pause...it selects a random track but in the other direction......as in if you press Caps it will choose random track then if you press Tmark it will go back to the song you were playing before. Press Caps 3 times and you get 3 new songs....then press Tmark 3 times and you can go backward through the order just played. The songs these buttons select are different to the songs selected naturally or by pressing skip. Very wierd.

Update - apparently it always picks the same songs, it will go through heaps but it will always go through the same heaps....i think...even after turning it off.....This is when playing all tracks....in an album it just resets the song. It must skip the songs by a certain factor...but the numbers don't seem to follow a pattern.

- Delete - Toggles the Playmode....very handy...you'll have to remember the modes so you what what you're on....it goes like (1, shuff tracks, shuff units, off)

- To get the HD5 to play you have to press the actual play button on the unit itself.
    - Once it has started playing you can press skip forward and back.
    - You can stop the player by pressing stop, but you can't pause it. Make sure you don't press stop till you finish or else you'll have to get the player out.
    - The volume control works
    - Some wierd features with Caps and Tmark.
    - Toggle playmode with the Delete button.

I guess its functional enough not to buy a specific HD5 remote....there are no features on the remote that you need the screen to do which is good. It would be good to have a play button but just dont stop it.

- oh yeha and a big feature.....when you press a button on the remote the backlight does NOT come on!! why can't they do that on the player when you press a button with hold on??? At least they got something right though....but I dont use the remote because the wire is broken inside, it makes ear hurting noises when you wiggle the wire.!!

5. The Jayler

The Jayler
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    What the hell are you moving over here for! If you want to swap houses when you come over here you can have mine if i can have yours. :D

6. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    lol, what do you like about Australia? Yeah ok no bomb threats but thats because nobody could be bothered to.

7. Pyrobob83

Pyrobob83

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can bypass sonicstage, but it still need SS installed. There's a program called VAIO Music Transfer which is a more basic interface for transferring, but it still encodes the files. Do a search either on the forums or through Google.

8. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Vaio music transfer still converts the music to Atrac format...i was assuming he wanted it as mp3. Still, whats wrong with SS?

9. jjust

jjust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dunno - everyone bags SS

And as for moving - going to study in the UK; some reputable unis over there. If I had to go somewhere to go live for fun I'd go to Argentina. Party culture, cheap, modern, beautiful people and good weather.

10. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't listen to them, its no worse than Itunes. Especially SS3.2

I see, I would goto uni in UK but rather not...ill probably goto UTS.

11. jjust

jjust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    UTS - hmm

yeh it's actually for a PhD so nothing in Aus stacks up to Cambridge.

12. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  13. K-Pax

K-Pax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    SS3.2 - where do you get that from? I though the latest version was 3.1

14. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Go here. http://www.aii.co.jp/contents/sonic/_data/sony-ss32/SonicStageInstaller.exe

It'll start downloading straightaway (after asking you to confirm as normal), then simply install straight over 3.1. Me and a few others have done so with no problems whatsoever.

CAUTION: You might want to back-up your library first using SS Back-up Tool! (Just in case, you understand? ;) )