1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony NW HD5 connection to HiFi and car?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Catastrophe, Jun 9, 2005.

1. Catastrophe

Catastrophe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sorry if the question is noobish.....but what cables do u need and where u connect to on HiFi or car?

2. Hrochnick

Hrochnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    There seem to be three possible solution, the first is that some modern cars have a direct input where you plug your player straight in via a 3.5mm jack - this is obviously the best sounding and easiest solution but not many cars have it. The other two options will not sound as good but you're in a car travelling at speed with all the noice that that entails so how good can it be? I wouldn't worry about it, personnaly. The second method is via a tape connector - you plug your player into a special tape (which are cheap and easily available) which goes into the tape deck but if you only have a cd player in the car that method is no good for you. I use the third method which is by fm transmitter, these are harder to come by because, I think, they are actually illegal in the UK (though I can't think why). This is the method I use and it works fine for me. The only problem being the difficulty of finding a clear frequency range in London - not easy - and if on a long journey I find I have to re-tune to periodically to maintain a clear signal. Works well enough for me and I like it.

3. KeanosMagicHat

KeanosMagicHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +554
    Cable for HIFI connection.

http://www.audiovisualonline.co.uk/...gold-pga3405-5m-3.5mm-jack-2-rca/display.html

Excellent cable for good sound quality (I have one myself).

Car FM Transmitter

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0001F22PA/104-5679802-3879157?v=glance

I bought one of these on EBay from a guy in the states.

Technically you are not supposed to use them in the UK as (believe it or not) you can be prosecuted as a pirate radio station even though it is unlikey people would even pick up the broadcast in the next car in a traffic jam.

Good unit though.

A better solution for the car, if you can find a head unit with a jack socket on the front panel, would be a direct cable to cable connection for the best sound possible.