1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony NW-HD5 being able to act as a external HD for the Sony PSP

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by recsnmisc, Jun 22, 2005.

1. recsnmisc

recsnmisc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe this is a little over-the-top but...this would rock!!

It would be really cool if the Sony NW-HD5 would be able to act as a external HD for the Sony PSP. Imagine much content you could be able to experience on your PSP without needing to use the Memory Stick Pro Duo (I'm not thinking music - I have the player itself for it - but pictures and movies).

I don't know how many of you actually own a PSP but I'm sure you'll find this idea interesting too. Current Memory Stick Pro Duo biggest size is 2GB (hard to find and at prohibitive prices) and I have the 1GB one. (20 GB would be almost 10x the space, and would probably mean 40 full movies at good+ quality ~= 450 megs per movie, and/or thousands and thousands of pictures).

The NW-HD5 is small enough to be a great companion for the PSP, it wouldnt be much trouble carrying it around with be PSP when you wanted to.

Plus both are Sony products, both have usb ports so no huge compatibility problems, and my feeling is a simple firmware update would make this possible.

Comments welcome!

2. JuJu

JuJu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But Sony want people to start using UMD as a movie format, it's not really in their interests to allow you to carry a lot full movies for no (or next to no) cost.

3. recsnmisc

recsnmisc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmm...dont think so. If Sony wanted the UMDs to be the only video to be used on the PSP, they wouldnt have made it mp4 able (actually they encourage this, as they made available software for converting all kinds of video content - Sony Image Converter 2). Its only a matter of storage capacity...Memory Stick Pro Duo will get bigger and bigger so I think this is a feature that could easily be made possible.

I found this -> Cowon iAudio X5 + PSP
    http://portablevideo.engadget.com/entry/1234000253044889/

This is halfway there...not proper "external HD". This seem to allow you to swap content between the DAP and the Memory Stick on the PSP.
    I want the PSP to read direclty from the NW-HD5.

Comments welcome!

4. recsnmisc

recsnmisc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Emailed Sony about this idea...
    Here's the reply:

Dear Mr XXXX

Thank you for your recent e-mail.

At the current time I am unaware of any plans to make the NW-HD5 an external
    hard drive for the PSP . However I have logged your case with us as a
    suggestion as such, this will automatically get fed back to the products
    designers. Whilst they will not look to contact you directly as a result of
    this, you can be sure that at least your view on this will be recognised.

I hope this is of assistance.

With regards

XXXXX
    For and on behalf of
    Sony United Kingdom Limited

Well, they were nice enough to reply. Maybe theyll like the idea and make it happen. Email them too.
    Cheers!