1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony nw-hd5 battery-how to increase playtime when on line-out?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by outerspace, Oct 4, 2005.

1. outerspace

outerspace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any suggestions?

2. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What are getting out of the battery currently?

3. braehead

braehead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can't say I've any problems with that. Left it on overnight the other weekend, must have been going for a good 20hrs solid and still had plenty of life left. Couldn't have done that with my old i-pod :thumbsup:

4. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, I'm getting some pretty impressive line out/battery times, too. Had it running for about 8 hours through the hifi, and it still had juice a-plenty to last for several 2-hour commutes and still more hours' in-office listening!

5. KiNeL

KiNeL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Can't imagine why using Line Out would be significantly different to the Headphone O/P.

The power required to drive either is a mere fraction of what the HD5 consumes in general.

6. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Plug it into the AC adaptor.

I don't have problems with Line Out runtime.

7. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Perhaps he's using a bitrate where the word "quality" is actually relevant. If you want to eke out more battery life, lower your bitrate.

8. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use 256 and its still adequate. But yes he hasn't given us much detail to work with.

9. lariva

lariva
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What is the difference betweem variable bitrate, and constant bitrate? I mean in terms of batterytime...?

10. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Variable might have slightly more runtime because the bitrate isn't always high. It only goes high if it needs to so the average bitrate is less so supposedly more runtime.

11. PollMak

PollMak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is precisely one of the main reasons, why I bought a NW5 Walkman over a iPod, it has the best battery life. After all you want the player plugged into your ears and not into a charge point.
    Of course, the sound is great and the size fantastic.

Oh yes: my Red NW5 has no button cracks. :thumbsup:

12. outerspace

outerspace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes,I prefer variable bitrate 192 and up, and it is in corelation with battery life but someone said that quick search with Google can solve it and increase battery life when on line-out.By the way,NW5 sounds GREAT on hi-fi and on my Sony V250 headphones.
    I recomend it for everyone who enjoy music!

13. johann1979

johann1979
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I find that it most definitely runs longer on line out than with headphones - I listen to it at work on line out and played it non stop for 9 hours (after a full charge), I then forgot it on just to discover it still happily playing 15 hours later when I got back to work. It then had enough life to do another 9 hours and still lasted my journey home. My files are encoded at various bitrates, but mostly varying between 132kbps and 320kbps - so it should really have lasted less than 30 hours in total.

I might be totally wrong but I think it has to do with the fact that it is insn't actually driving any headphones directly and that the stereo obviously relies on it's own amp. It is the only explanation I can think of.