1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony Nw-hd3

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by francoOZ, Aug 9, 2005.

1. francoOZ

francoOZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all!

ok i have a little problem, i have been recently looking for a 20gb mp3 player, and have set my sights on the sony nw-hd3. i sgtarted looking on ebay and found some really cheap prices, much cheaper than prices here in Australia. the problem is that they all reside in the United States where the voltage is 120V. i have read some reviews on amazon and one person said that it included a international AC adaptor (i,e 110-240V input). but every time i email the sellers they dont even seem to know what voltage is and it is really frustrating!!!!!!! can anyone tell me if the US version includes a 110-240V adaptor as i dont want to fry my unit on the australian 240V wall outlet.

thankyou in advance for your help, it is extremely appreciated!

2. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can't you just get a converter anyway?

3. francoOZ

francoOZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive tried looking for a transformer but they look huge, which is understandable because it has to "step-down" 240V to 120 Volts. is it actually possible to get a socket changer which changes the voltage for you?
    but yeah every american i email with the same question in the first thread replies with a "we have a 110V socket in the US".........its as if im speaking another language jsut to ask a simple yes/no question

4. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can you buy the AC adaptor from Australia? I assume all the players are '6v DC in'. So buy the aussie cable. Otherwise I would just get that huge looking transformer. Wouldnt it be helpful for other US things too, just in case?

5. Uridium

Uridium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,858
    Don't take to long choosing though as the HD3 is now discontinued that's why everyone is discounting them.

Go for one though as they are top

6. francoOZ

francoOZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thats also exactly what i tried doing, i emailed the same people asking what the output of the transformer was so i could try and buy one here but the exact same response "we use 110 volts in US"......i already have a 3v DC sony adaptor which i had to buy here........but without the correct output rating i cant try and find an aussie plug! arggggg why cant they just give me a proper answer!!!!!

7. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Email sony, The HD5 is 6v DC in, so it may be the same, but maybe not. The Input and the plug are different to any of my other sony stuff. Which is 3v for my md with a tiny plug, and i think 4 v for my very old diskman, which has very big plug.
    Maybe try to explain it to them like a baby, lol.

But for Francoooz sake, anyone with a HD3 know what their player's input voltage and current is???? it should say on the ac adaptor or unit.

8. francoOZ

francoOZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeah i think im gunna have to resort to emailing them. but seriously a person who is selling electronic equipment should be able to answer these questions, like its not rocket science....i even told them where to look on the adaptor! and still the same garbage answer!............its so frustrating cause it sounds like they just think im stupid cause im an australian.......it really gets under my skin! furthermore u'd think that sony would have all these specs on their website...........but nothing!

i was looking at the HD-5, but i just cant handle the look! but the worth thing about it is the price tag, like 480 bucks at bing lee!...........no way!....these hd3's are like 230 AUD on ebay which is a bargain! and i refuse to buy an ipod!

9. rigger123

rigger123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Just looked mine up for you, it says:

Input: AC 100-240V 50/60Hz 7W
    Output: DC 6V 800mA

10. francoOZ

francoOZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    is that the US version? and where abouts did u find it?

thanks heaps, i been searching for days, but all i could find was one review on amazon which said it was 110-240

once again a HUGE thankyou!!!!!!

11. rigger123

rigger123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    oh crap sorry no its the UK version, i found it on the plug charger. I didnt mean to get your hopes up there sorry bud. I just had my hd3 charging next to the PC and kinda jumped in ahead of myself, i can be so dense at times.

12. francoOZ

francoOZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hahahahaha thats fine mate!, actually its been a great help, since now at least i can just find a sony adaptor with a 6v output with 110-240 inputs!

i just wish that 1 american, just 1 american who has this could tell me!!!! it would make life so much easier!

rigger123 - since u have a hd3, would u reccomend it, ive used sonicstage before on my md and i know its absolute garbage, but on a hardware and firmware level whats your opinion

cheers buddy!

13. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    UM, the input is the same on the unit itself for all versions I would assume?? The only difference is the adaptor transformer that transforms from the country's voltage to the players universal 6V....im only assuming, since my player is a hd5, australian one, and its also 6v, just like the 6v hd3, the model and country is different so the voltage is the same, i suppose you can safely guess its the same for the US models too.

Sonicstage is great, if you have the US version of SS3.2.

14. rigger123

rigger123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Oh yea i think its a great piece of kit and would deffinately reccomend it to anyone! The battery lasts me at least a week (if i use it a lot i.e. 3-4 hours a day) and after fiddleing with the sound options it sounds brilliant (so good infact that i often listen to it instead of my Hi-Fi).

The unit is very easy to use (and looks really cool to boot) but i would recomend you remove the volume limiter so that you can hear the player in noisy environments (If the American version even has it that is)

The player seems very well built, i've had mine for about 6 months now and nothing has gone wrong with it, and i have no scratches on the screen (as yet lol). Infact the only bad points about it are 1) apparently the battery is non replaceable, and 2) It cant do playlists.

But just to clarify - You will certainly not be dissapointed with the player!

15. francoOZ

francoOZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    lovely!, thanks heaps for all your help! i really appreciate it!
    yeah its really hard finding a solid mp3 player, the ipod has carp battery life, and that is the mnost important aspect to me since i'll be travelling. the ipod wont even last me the flight out of sydney.......and plus sony stuff is just awesome.....its abit depressing letting my md go in place of the mp3, but u gotta do what u gotta do!. but yeah im still PO'd that i have to get it from the states, here in australia prices are way too high and the HD3 isnt even available! so its a real pain in the neck for electronic gadgets down here!

16. jw250

jw250

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    FrancoOZ,

I have the UK version HD3 and am really pleased with it. I think it looks nicer than the HD5 - the screen on the HD5 is quite a bit better tho. Sound quality is excellent although because I had a European model I had to turn off the volume limiter via an Engineers menu - found the hack and instructions on a thread here - pretty sure it doesn't happen on US models.

SonicStage works fine for me, its not as pretty as iTunes and if you are transferring mp3s from your My Music folder then you have to make sure its organised well to avoid duplications or missing tracks. Other than that, its fine. The latest version has all the mp3 options that weren't on the earlier versions so you can avoid Atrac (I think its poor compared to MP3 at a decent bitrate). Recommend upgrading the earplugs to the little Sony 'in-ear' ones, they sound awesome.

17. lchiu7

lchiu7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am not an American (a Kiwi!) but I bought a US HD-3. The power adapter says AC-ES608K and is AC120V 60Hz/7W outputting DC6V 800mA.

I just plug it into a large 240-110V transformer I use for much of my US gear. The plug on the adapter at the 6V end is the usual Sony proprietary thing so various ac adapters I had would not fit. I guess the answer is to buy a 6V 800mV adapter, cut off the cord from the US one and solder it to the 240V adapter lead (which you can get probably from your local Dick Smiths)

Larry