Sony NW-HD3 sound problem

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by bek, Mar 1, 2005.

1. bek

bek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use an FM transmitter in my car but I have to turn my car stereo up really loud for the sound to be adequate volume.

I have tried it in headphone and line out mode, both sound identical.

Then I did the volume fix and tried it again, the sound is horrific(!!!) SOOOO distorted that you just couldn't listen to it. Same with headphones, not just through the transmitter.

BTW, I have turned the volume restriction back on, as it was unbearable with it off.

Incidentally, when I plug the hd3 into my hifi, I have to keep it in headphone mode or it is distorted.

And I am using better earphones than the supplied ones, before anyone tells me its that!!

Anybody understand what is going on?
    Please help!! I'm confused! :lease:

2. watchinthewheel

watchinthewheel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it sounds to me like you have a faulty hd3. did you accidentaly change any other setting in the service menu when you turned the volume limiter off? tht can cause a lot of problems that are pretty much unfixable by anyone other than sony themselves. if you have done that your in trouble, if you havent though i would take it back to wherever you got it from for a refund, it shouldnt be doing that with or without the volume limiter. finaly the headphone and lineout shouldnt sound the same at all, perhaps there is a setting for headphones that has been switched to line out. If you turn line out on, on my hd3 you get terrible sounds when playing music. other than those suggestions sorry i cant help, never seen this problem before.

3. bek

bek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I definitely didn't change any settings other than the SP on/off one. The headphone and line out only sound the same when they go through my FM transmitter. It's weird. I'm going to try the various combinations again and see if I missed anything the first time.

When you say
    do you mean through the headphones? or all the time?

Thanks for your help.

4. watchinthewheel

watchinthewheel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i mean whenever i turn line out on and try and play music through any output, speakers or headphones it sounds dreadfull, really loud staticy sounds over the music.

the problems with the transmitter could be any number of things and tbh i dont know enough about them to help you with that.

the sounds issues with the volume limiter is odd though, mine works fine and i havent read of anyone having a problem with that fix. The only thing i can think of is perhaps your mp3s are in an odd format or too low a bitrate for the volume? im clutching at strwas with that though im really not sure. what i can say without doubt is that it shouldnt be happeneing and perhaps its a fault with your unit?

sorry i couldnt be more help.

5. DotNet

DotNet
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If they do, then FM transmitter is definitely your problem.
    Since headphone out and line out provide significantly different voltage (line out is higher), your FM transmitter is simply not capable of delivering enough...

6. c21stblade

c21stblade
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    my advice would be to take it in and act dumb
    pretend u aint done anythin and they mite sort it out for ya for free
    glad i didnt mess it up- was quite worried about doing!