1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony NW-HD3 Sensible ways to manage your music files??!!

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by shiveringgoat, Mar 21, 2005.

1. shiveringgoat

shiveringgoat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ladies & Gentlemen?

I have owned the NW-HD3 for around 3 months now and am very happy with it, especially as Sonicstage 3 seems to be a lot more stable.
    However, I upgraded to Sonicstage 3 last week and it wiped off everything from my player of course. There was a mixture of MP3's and Atrac converted music on it, unfortunately I did not back up everything:( so I'm starting again!...HOWEVER this is positive as I now fully understand that you must have consistency with artists etc when you title tracks or else Sonicstage puts them all over the place...and I intend to build lots of simple folders with all my artists/tracks in on my PC/burn to DVD for long term back up storage.

I have around 600 CD's that I want to get on there at a good quality bit rate...using ATRAC 256 which sounds good there is not enough space on the 20GB NW-HD3

My main question is this, ATRAC ripped at anything less than 256 sounds to me too 'metalic' and 'unmusical' BUT I cannot really hear the difference between a CD ripped to MP3 at 192 kps or a CD ripped with Atrac at 256...what I do know is that with MP3 it takes up far less room than Atrac and then I can back up all my MP3's easily on a couple of blank DVD's?...which will be easy to keep and use if my player crashes or I want to upgrade to a 40GB model when hopefully Sony release one...or in the unlikely chance of getting another brand other than Sony.

So what does everyone else think/use? - I must admit ATRAC is great for DJ mix CD's or classical music that is continuous as you don't hear a slight gap when it moves to the next track which you do with MP3, so for me its keeping with MP3 as its a medium that is transferable ....am I missing something here? what does everyone else thinks works best?

Best

Goat:)

2. sacd

sacd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have had exactly the same problem. If only they had an atrac 196!
    I use atrac 256 for dj mix cd's and mp3 for the rest.
    Actually I have found that if I use the vaio transfer utility I can keep a better idea of what is actually being transfered to the player. So I only use SS3 library for the dj mix cd's.

3. shiveringgoat

shiveringgoat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree - why does it jump from 132 to 256 and nothing inbetween? :confused:

Goat:)

4. sacd

sacd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I don't know why, ATRAC 132 does NOT cut the mustard as far as I am concerned and 256 is far too space hungry. My problem is that 90 percent of my MP3's are 320! So space really is an issue.