1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony NW-HD3 - Removing the ferrite rings.

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by webchimp, Mar 25, 2005.

1. webchimp

webchimp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Sony NW-HD3, I was wondering if removing the ferrite rings from the "walkman" end of the power and USB cables would cause any problems?

2. watchinthewheel

watchinthewheel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what exactly do those thing do? i have always wondered, they dont seem to actualy be attached to the wire.

3. Hasselhoffia

Hasselhoffia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Probably not. Usually they are used to reduce interference on the wire but I'm betting that Sony are overengineering and you can get away without them. Wondering why you need to remove them though?

4. webchimp

webchimp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I've removed them and so far, no ill effects.

They are used to reduce interference on unsheilded cables, something to do with modifying inductance, but I'm no physicist and couldn't explain how it works.

The only reason I wanted to remove them is that they are quite bulky and heavy. The connector is otherwise quite compact and lightweight and it's much neater without them. I have enough cable clutter on my desk as it is. :)

5. mcfarfs

mcfarfs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Sorry, what are the ferrite rings?

6. Hasselhoffia

Hasselhoffia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well to be technically correct, we are talking about ferrite filters. They are the black plastic tubes clamped over the power wire, with the wire looped around it several times. In the plastic tubes is a magnetic cylinder that helps reduce interference.