Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Sony Nw Hd3 - Playing Modes

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by RobinChappy, Mar 2, 2005.

1. RobinChappy

RobinChappy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can someone please spell out to me the methods of -

1. Playing all the tracks of 1 artist in shuffle.

2. All tracks on Shuffle (everytime i try i seem to get the same tracks!!!)

Would love to be able to listen to all Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds albums on shuffle but can't figure it out.?? :lease:

2. malheuresement

malheuresement

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This info is actually in the user guide PDF, but less than obvious.
    It is actually a little counter intuitive but works when you know what you are doing.

All tracks by one artist.
    1. Play mode = track shuffle
    2. Select "Artist" then scroll down to find Nick Cave.
    3. Press R arrow "->" to give list of albums.​
    If you press play at this point then you will play tracks in all of the albums in shuffled sequence. If you press "->" on a particular album to give track listing in that album then you will get that album randomised.

As a rule of thumb, the shuffled tracks will be all tracks downwards of the selection you made in the previous menu (does that make sense?)

To play all tracks on your HD3, ensure that track shuffle is engaged and press play on the primary "Artist" list (or any of the primary list options I should imagine (Genre, Album, Group).

So there is quite a degree of flexibility as to which tracks you shuffle, depending on which list option you choose in the first place.

3. RobinChappy

RobinChappy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks a million. That certainly makes things a lot clearer than the manual!!!

4. andy80085

andy80085

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know where i can download a copy of the manual? The one on my cd was corrupt.

5. malheuresement

malheuresement

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try here:
    HD3 manual

Then you can get it in Czech if you like!!!

6. shiveringgoat

shiveringgoat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello

is there any way of making a compilation on the NW HD3 without having to pull more tracks onto the player in a seperate folder?

I want to make a Pat Metheny 'Ballads' playlist for when I'm violating the missus from all his abums that I have already loaded onto the player and I have read the manual but am confused :eek:

Can you do this?

Many Thanks

Goat:)

7. shelteringsky

shelteringsky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    shiveringgoat, I´m looking forward doing something like that. I´ve read in this site that you can do this with "groups". You take all the albums of Pat Metheny and change the properties of the songs you want so in "group" menu you can choose "Pat Metheny Ballads". That´s what I have read but I don´t know where to change the group properties (in my library before transfering or once in the player... I don´t know. That recomendation sounds sensible but I don´t know how to do it... :confused:

If you find the answer, post it here.

8. shiveringgoat

shiveringgoat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thankyou:)

9. malheuresement

malheuresement

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you try this, you need to change the track properties in Sonic Stage. However, this kicks up a few issues in itself.
    Changing the artist and/or album properties of a given track will remove it from both/either of those groups and create new categories for them. This isn't a problem in itself unless you are going to play albums through Sonic Stage on your PC, where now that album will not be complete. This will overcome the duplication problem of having the same track numerous times within a given album on your HD3, but it does mean that you will have more than one copy of a track on your HD3, albeit in different groups.

It is an easy thing to do to return the tracks to their original groups, but throughout this you just need to keep on top of what tracks are where in Sonic Stage and on your HD3 - I suppose its a question of good housekeeping. It could be so much easier though.

What the HD3 needs is a "m3u"-style playlist facility - essentially a series of links to the tracks, not the actual tracks themselves. Maybe thats not possible with ATRAC 3+, who knows. Do other DAPs do this or do they, too, transfer duplicate tracks in new playlists?

Or maybe I'm just doing it wrong.

10. watchinthewheel

watchinthewheel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if you want a quick way to do it use bookmarks, im not sure how you set them, i think you hold a button down during playback, check the manual for sure. but basicaly this will mark the song, you can then tell the player to play just the marked songs and voila a makeshift playlist.

11. shelteringsky

shelteringsky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i don´t want bookmarking. you have to play the track to mark it... It would be useful if you didn´t have to play it at least...

What i´m looking forward is what malheuresement said: a style playlist facility; a series of links to the tracks, not the actual tracks themselves.

but i guess that´s not possible, at least with sonicstage 2.3...

what a pity... enqeueing songs while you are listening to the player, or having your own playlists depending on your mood, are (should say: would be...) both of them very useful utilities.

nobody is perfect....

12. malheuresement

malheuresement

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Probably a long shot, but does anyone know of a way to cue up a few songs on your HD3 on the fly? Or even just the next song that you want to hear?

13. mcfarfs

mcfarfs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Im afraid you can't do that, at least not to my knowledge. All you can do is browse your library until the currently playing song is finished, then hit play on the next song you want.

The two methods I use of creating playlists are bookmarking, and using the group function.

Bookmarking is perfect for on the go, as you simply bookmark the currently playing song (do this by holding the down or up arrow for a second or two...). You can bookmark up to 99 tracks, I believe. The problem with this method is it only allows creation of one "playlist".

The other method of creating/listening to playlists is using the group function. This can only be done via SonicStage, and as your songs all appear in one group in a huge list, it takes time to find songs you like etc. to add the group. The songs are actually saved in the groups, so it is not possible to have a particular song in more than one "playlist", or group, without duplicating it.

So when I plug my HD3 into the computer and view it on SonicStage, I have two groups: "My Music I", and "My Music II". This is because you cannot have more than 999 songs in any one group. When you transfer music to the player, it is placed in a group of the same name as the album in question. I move all my music into the same groups because it seems stupid to have them under each album to me - thats exactly the same as viewing through "album" on the player.

Hope this helps, Chris. :)

14. Diyolddog

Diyolddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is there any way of increasing the volume. I am told there is a volume supressor built into the NW-HD3. Help ?

15. malheuresement

malheuresement

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  16. Diyolddog

Diyolddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0