1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony NW-HD3 & HD1

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Simmo81, Dec 10, 2004.

1. Simmo81

Simmo81

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Right so Sony look to have things sorted with the release of the NwHD3, follow up to the HD1, not being out long. At least the new one has mp3 playback - thinking of getting one, not released in UK till 20th December, got no chance of getting one before Xmas then! Doubt any high street will know of its release as usual.

Thought the NWHD1 might go down in price with the imminent release of its successor. Well although its down from 300 to 250 on the Sony website, (The new one also 250 - available in four colours - me likes the red one and blacks not bad either) Anyway, Dixons and Argos had it a 230 last week, went in today and its back up to the 300 what the fudge! Thats more than straight from Sony which is ridiculous. Comet had listed it at the new 230 on web as NOT online special, but now its up to £250 online ONLY. £300 in stores.

Yet go to amazon and get the NW1 for £200 new, or preorder a NW3 for £220. Although Silver is the only one featured so far. No what the hell is going on? How much should the shops be selling this at? Surely the NW1 has to go down NOT up in price to get rid of it before the new NW3 is out at the most £250, havent got a clue what is going on.

Anyway end of rant - the NW3 IS AN iPOD BEATER :thumbsup:

2. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    So you've used it then?

3. Simmo81

Simmo81

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    That was meant to say potential iPOD beater.

Seen as though I havent used the new HD3 I cant say for definite.
    BUT
    Seen as though the reviews I have read are VERY complimentary about the new Sony, and this is from the same people who gave the HD1 such a hard time, then I have every faith that it will be an iPOD beater.

Dont get me wrong there is very little wrong with the iPod, but Sonys machine sounds like it is going to be better.

I'll report back when I get one, whenever that may be. With the release so near to xmas I very much doubt I'll get hold of one before then.

4. SeaneyC

SeaneyC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    The Sony definately has the potential to beat the iPOD. Battery life is one of the main points for me, when i want music the most is when i travel, and 6 or 7 hours just doesn't cut it with the iPOD. IMHO the styling is also much nicer than the iPOD, but then again i do quite like the look of the red one (no accounting for taste is there) and the dock seems to be better than the iPOD one, which i've never liked. It is also a few grams lighter and smaller, and although this isn't a huge point, it's just another reason for me to like this unit. Word is that the HD3 won't come with a dock though, which is a bit of a letdown. Will also now support removable hard drive features too, which also brings it up to spec with the iPOD. I think sony could do really well with this unit, they just need to push it in the right areas.

5. Simmo81

Simmo81

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Yeah, no dock with the HD3, dont know if one will be made available as an extra. Is it really necessay anyway?

Just plug in USB lead or AC Adapter for chargiing, not a problem, surely?

The Red one is the one for me, sounds like I best pre-order the thing if Red is gonna be popular. Mind you pink is hardly gonna sell well is it?

Silver is ust NORMAL, Black might do well, Dont know why the blue isnt being released over here though.

The RED one looks like a Ferrari of mp3 players, just needs a Ferrari logo and sorted!

6. SeaneyC

SeaneyC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    I just like the idea of docks, especially as i have quite a few items that sync to my PC. Having said this, i don't actually have a dock for either of my digital cameras, phone, or mp3 player. Fortunately they all use a mini USB connector, so i just plug that into whatever i want to use at the time. Seems like this sony will just be another!

7. IanW

IanW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    I was really lucky on this. My wife had bought me a HD1 for Xmas and paid £270 from House of Fraser. This was not a bad price at the time, but we went into House of Fraser the other day and saw it for £230 :eek: :mad: Spoke to the staff and they said that as the box had not been opened that we could bring it back and they would refund the difference. :smashin: :clap: So I now have the same unit but for £230!

Roll on Xmas, I have a lot of CDs to transfer. :devil:

Just as a side thought, I am really not interested in all the MP3 stuff, as you will see from the stuff on my www, my only concern in life is quality so I will be using ATRAC regardless.

Ian.

8. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
    *Cough* Apple Lossless.... *Cough*

9. SeaneyC

SeaneyC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    The Sony also sounds better than the iPOD apparantly, not that i've compared the 2 myself.

10. IanW

IanW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    Radiohead,

Fair comment, but I wanted to be different. I am not suggesting that ATRAC is better than AAC just that ATRAC is better than MP3. :cool:

Ian.

11. namastebuzz

namastebuzz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    The HD-1 is available for £199 online or £220 at John Lewis. I bought mine online then, the day after receipt, discovered the HD-3 coming out! Promptly returned the HD-1 for a refund and await the HD-3 being available. I just prefer the look of the newer model, its mp3-ness and coz it's the latest model.

12. Simmo81

Simmo81

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Ive just checked John Lewis' website and its £249.99 on there.

Thought you just said it was £199.99?

13. probedb

probedb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    The problem with the Sony as far as I'm aware is that you can't copy music off it, say take your music to work which is ridiculous !

14. G a f f e r

G a f f e r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +479
    Having compared apple losslesss to ATRAC, lossless is much better SQ. (but the difference is less noticeable with the standard supplied headphones).
    The SONY does look good though :)

15. Jaffa

Jaffa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just seen that Amazom are selling these for £219. Going to order mine now! Hopefully have it for xmas

J

16. bluetoffee

bluetoffee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have 1 Silver Sony NW-HD3 for sale and can deliver it for Christmas if prompt payment is made by PayPal or to a Bank Account! It is boxed and sealed.

Just bought it as a present, but someone else has already bought them an iPod! I'll have to get my thinking cap on for present ideas again.

If anyone wants to buy it just send me an email to bluetoffee247@hotmail.co.uk with a decent offer and I'll let you know. I'll charge £10 for Royal Mail special Delivery P&P.

17. satchmo

satchmo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi - new guy here ! Very interested in the Sony HD3 but not having had an mp3 player before, not sure how to compare it. The HD3 is compatible with mp3 files and ATRAC - but what is ATRAC ? It can also store visual & data files which means I can do away with my stick drive ?

Is the HD3 out yet - Mr Blue Toffee seems to have one - didn't say where he got though.

Cheers - Satchmo

18. bluetoffee

bluetoffee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HD3 is in the shops on Monday. My HD3 is UK (there are some imports around) and has a standard Sony warranty.

I have had a friend contact me about it, so am probably going to sell it to him.

19. satchmo

satchmo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Blue Toffee,

Thanks for the reply. Can I ask how much you paid for yours or is that a little too personal. Its only for my own price comparisons. If the shop price is too high pre-Christmas then I may have to wait till January or lower my expectations and go for a more basic model.

Cheers - Satchmo. :blush:

20. IanW

IanW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    bluetoffee,

I think that you need to read the trading rules for the forum. Anything for sale must have a price displayed.

Ian.

21. bluetoffee

bluetoffee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah, didn't realise that - I will display a price next time. It's no longer for sale....

I can't say how much I paid for it unfortunately....