1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony NW-HD3 freezes up/crashes?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by spimsjc, Mar 2, 2005.

1. spimsjc

spimsjc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I've had my nw-hd3 for a week now. Everything is working well and I'm very happy. However the unit has frozen up a couple of times. The only way to get it working again was to turn the unit off by switching the built-in battery off. When I turn the battery back on the unit unfreezes.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Just wondering if it is a common problem!

Thanks!

Steve

2. c21stblade

c21stblade
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi
    I've had my HD3 for about 3 months now and have never had any problems at all. i am very happy with it. some people think that the volume is a drawback but i must admit iv never had a problem with it, i have done the hack on it tho to get rid of the limitter and i do reckon theres a noticeable improvement.
    hope you get it sorted out soon.
    c21stblade
    :hiya:

3. Royal

Royal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Send it back to the manufacturers to be honest, may be an inconvenience but you have a right to have a perfect HD3, I did this with my HD1 and they had the kindness to upgrade it to a HD3 free of charge :)

4. klc

klc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I had similar problems. I got my NW HD3 almost as soon as it came out (Christmas present) It worked fine for the first 2 months, then I left it off for a while, and when I came to turning it back on, the splash screen with the logo and 'walkman' came up, then the unit switched itself off before it reached the menu screen. I tried switching the internal battery off for various amounts of time, plugging it in to charge, plugging it into the computer, and nothing worked, finally I gave up and left it until I had time to take it back.

Last weekend I took it back to the shop where it was bought and they gave me the option of either getting an immediate replacement one (which would mean losing ALL my songs), or sending the one I have back to Sony to get it fixed (and the songs would be saved). I decided on the latter, as it should take around 28 days, and at least if I send it back they may be able to fix the component that is breaking or is faulty, with a new one you may just get the same problem again.

I think its quite a common problem and something Sony may have overlooked. My advice to you would be to take it back to the shop where it was bought, and see if they will send it back to Sony for you to get the problem sorted. The problem with yours doesn't seem as severe as mine, but as the person above said, you are entitled to have a perfect unit, so I would say take it back and either get a replacement or get it fixed.

I hope this helps.

K.C

5. combustion

combustion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think your issue is with the lithium battery (since you said you hadnt used it in months) they say the worst thing to do to those batteries is to let them run out completely.

6. klc

klc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry I may have written it wrong, I meant to say I had the Mp3 player for about 2 months (and was using it often) and then I didn't use it for a few days, then when I tried it wouldn't work. I don't think the problem was the battery as I didn't let it run down to nothing, it had plenty of charge. Also, it switched on fine, it just wouldn't load past the splash screen. Apparently someone said it might be a database problem, but I don't know. I will find out in a week or two anyway and i'll post here when I do know :)

K.C

7. TommoK

TommoK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had a similar problem recently - freezes and occasionally get NO DATABASE FOUND message but when I switch it off for a while or connect it to the PC, it seems to find everything again. It is often caused when scrolling through the Artist Menu which can be VERY slow or just freezes it.

I've been putting off taking back to the shop because I have over 7000 tracks on there and most are deleted from MY LIBRARY (as I had no space left on my PC hard drive). I backed up most of my tracks from MY LIBRARY to disc before deleting them but even so it will be a mission to get them all transferred back onto a new player.

If anyone has any tips I'd also be most grateful.

8. Fmcdougal

Fmcdougal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got the same problem as klc already described. So i think i've to go to the shop were i bought it! :(

Tomorrow i will make a phonecall.....

9. petals

petals

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had two HD3's - the first was a motn old when it started to switch itself off and the second wouldn't switch off, only lasted a week. When the second problem happened a week later, I thought it time to re-think my option.

I have since bought an ipod.

Tommok - isn't it possible to transfer the music from your HD3 back to your PC then you could go and get a replacement rather than being without your unit for a month?

10. Marco68

Marco68

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had the same problem. The set switched off after the welcomescreen.
    Since I went on holiday I didn't want to return it for repair.
    So I opend the HD3 and found the flatcable from the HDD to the mainboard
    was insert poorly in the connector on the mainboard. (under the display).
    I inserted it correctly and the unit played fine since then.

Took me about 15 mins to correct the problem.

11. Fmcdougal

Fmcdougal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They asked me to bring it back to the store or Sony city. I will do that. They told me there is something wrong with the software, so i'm not going to open the HD3 by myself. I hope i don't have to wait a very long time.

12. TommoK

TommoK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I deleted nearly all of the tracks from My Library on my PC (to free up space on my nearly full PC hard drive) so it is not possible to transfer those tracks back from the NW-HD3 to the library - you have to have a copy saved in MY Library apparently.

Anyway I went into the shop and was told that because I have had the machine for over 28 days, it has to go back to Sony for repair - they will not replace it in the shop.

As this guarantee lasts for up to a year I decided to see if I could resolve the problem. I reformatted the player ('format' in menu screen) and so wiped all my music but since putting most of it back on, I have had no problems yet (touches some wood for luck). Maybe one of the files I previously transferred corrupted it? I'm just hoping it continues to work if not I'll bite the bullet and send it off for repair.

13. klc

klc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right, well I said I would post when I got my HD3 back, so here I am again! This morning I got a phone call from Currys (The shop where I bought it) saying that it had arrived back from Sony. I rushed to the shop to pick it up, and guess what?
    Its fixed! :thumbsup: All of my songs have been kept on there, and they all play perfectly. The problem has been fully fixed and hopefully will not happen again.
    All it says on my 'despatch note' is:

Fault: Power problem (110) will not turn on.
    Power section repaired. All systems checked & tested and working to full specification.

Excellent. I am now off to test it out for a while. I will post back again if I experience further problems, but for now I am a very happy bunny. :clap:

14. 24db

24db

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anybody know what System Error 232 means? It came up on my HD3 this morning, but it seems to be ok now. I'm just waiting for my local Sony centre to get back to me (I bought it on Amazon).

A mate of mine has also had a problem with his, it just stops on the Sony welcome page.

15. robpok

robpok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This just happened to me (Googled the problem and this thread came up), I was listening to music when it started beeping and then turned off (it came up with an error message but dissapeared as soon as I started to look at the screen). Now when I turn it on, it comes up with the intro screen, and then turns off before reaching the menu. I guess I'm in for a 28 day wait whilst I send it back to Sony, as I've deleted my entire 20gb library from my PC, and there is no way I'm encoding all those CDs again! :mad:

16. robpok

robpok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Another thing - probably a stupid question, but - Does it cost anything to send the unit back to Sony? Or is it all covered by the warrenty?

17. klc

klc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For me, it didnt cost to send it back, as it was covered by the warrenty. It also only took about 18/19 days for it to arrive back, not as long a wait as I expected :) Hope yours gets fixed soon :smashin: