1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony NW-HD3 Car Kit

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by fishyhamster, Feb 8, 2005.

1. fishyhamster

fishyhamster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone found a reasonably cheap car kit for the Sony NW-HD3?

Looking for a wired solution, ie not a cassete adapter or FM transmitter.

Can it just plug into a standard Sony head unit in the same way as a CD multi changer? What leads are required?

How about a lead that will allow it to output to a non-sony head unit? obviously this would probably not let you control the player from the head unit, but if it is cheaper...

Thanks.

2. Hasselhoffia

Hasselhoffia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Connects2 do a NW-HD1 car kit (bottom of the page) that allows you to control the unit from a Sony headunit or steering wheel controls, or other head units if you get a adapter. Not that cheap though, but if you do a search for 'NW-HD1 car kit' on Ebay.co.uk you'll find a couple of sellers.

3. namastebuzz

namastebuzz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Auto Entertainment do an HD1 kit here for £59.98 which interfaces with a sony head unit and s/wheel controls. I think ones for other head units are in the pipeline too. You'd need to double check for HD3 compatibility too but I'd imagine it'd work.

4. bek

bek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just in case anyone is interested, I have been looking for a cradle for using my HD3 in my car. I have tried all of the mobile phone outlets and the internet, not finding anything that I like or that fits properly. I went into the Sony Centre to see if they had any suggestions, and the guy in the shop told me he had received an email from Sony UK that week, saying they were lauching a dash mountable cradle very soon. Yay. Keep your eyes on the Sony UK website!

5. degringo

degringo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you just want to pipe the sound through your stereo and don't want to be able to control the HD* via the stereo get one of connects 2 Aux adaptors...

6. magician

magician
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I can confirm that the HD1 kit does work with the HD3 as I have one.

I know i've said this in another thread :boring: but i didn't have much luck ordering from autoentertainment through their website, but a quick phone call to chase them and my kit arrived three days later.

Magic

7. degringo

degringo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any chance of some photos of the HD1 carkit and a brief description of what exactly you get and finally which stereos it is compatible with.

Cheers :clap:

8. magician

magician
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Ok, here you go.

Sorry the quality on these pics is so bad. I took them with my pitiful camera phone, in the dark with the help of my glove-box light!

The package comes with all you'll need bar the HD1/3, a compatible head unit and maybe some cable ties and Velcro. i.e.. - Remote jack to PS2 (keyboard style) jack which plugs into the really naf silver box, a quite chunky phono cable and a uni-link lead both of which go from the silver box into the head unit.

The silver box does all the magic. It turns the player on when you choose the source on the head unit, and more importantly stops it when you change sources. The HD3 then turns itself off after 30 seconds or so. To see the tags on the screen of the head unit you'll need a CD txt compatible head unit.

I'm happy to answer any other questions.

Magic

Attached Files:

9. degringo

degringo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    CHeers magician, Where did you get this kit from?

10. degringo

degringo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the following info regarding the HD1 car kit that will fit the HD3 from a very friendly and helpful man at http://www.autoentertainment.net

To get a full carkit for ANY vehicle that will enable you to charge the HD3 and control it from the factory fitted stereo you need the following parts.

Connects2 NW-HD1 Sony Adaptor £59.98 Part Number CTAH1001
    Vehicle specific - Sony CD Adaptor approx £59.98 see site for part number
    Car Cradle approx £20.00ring them as not listed on site

to get the right Sony CD Adaptors for your car see http://www.autoentertainment.net/eShopHome.asp?CID=10

I hope that this provide everyone with the right amount of information :thumbsup:

11. magician

magician
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I got my kit from them deringo.

Just noticed that md hd3 looks like it has a blue screen in the pictures above. Before anyone starts looking for the entry in the service menu that changes the backlight colour :nono: it must have been the whitebalance on my phone. Its really white.

Still waiting for my cradle so can't let you know what that's like. Would be interested in the fitting options if anyone has one? Is it hinged for example?

magic

12. yelloboy

yelloboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, does the mp3 player power from the headunit via the cables or does it still need its own battery power??

Does the kit come with the cables that attaches to your head unit or did you need to get some kind of converter. I have a had unit that is very similar to yours (except mine is minidisc) so they probably have the same connectors.

Thanks in advance.

13. magician

magician
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The hd3 doesn't take any power from the headunit, so until there is a cigarette charger you'll have to keep your battery topped up at home.

The kit had all i needed to connect to the headunit. As long as it's capable of supporting a uni-link changer you'll be ok.

Otherwise, as degringo says, you can get converters for most factory fitted car stereos to allow them to control sony changer kit. Warning - you may end up with a cable loom so long you'll struggle to push your headunit back into place!

Magic

14. JYD

JYD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi , sorry to be a cheeky sod but you seem to be knowledgable about these things and I am a complete novice! Im sure you could help me with some questions if thats OK? Would appreciate it.

I have bought a NWHD1 from Ebay and it appears that it is an American version.

1) I cant charge the thing due to voltage differences - what do I need to buy to be able to charges from the mains?
    2) Is there anything else that I need to be aware of as this is an American version?

Sony Car Kits: I would like the same one you have.
    2) It isnt a transmitter is it? Does the MP3 player just feed straight into your head unit?
    3) Are they difficult to fit - could a normal car audio place fit it?
    4) Does the NWHD1 sit in a cradle , similar to a mobile phone?

If you can help then I thank you in advance.

Regards

Marc. :lease: http://www.avforums.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=1526080#
    please

15. JYD

JYD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Forgot another question!

Does you have to have a Sony car stereo or will most work. Mine is a standard Merc stereo - any ideas?

16. magician

magician
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'd guess the best solution would be to buy a UK adaptor. I don't know the model number for the HD1's adaptor, perhaps someone else could help you with that. The HD3's is model number AC-ES608K. Try http://www.seme.co.uk/ for spare parts. Or you could use a USA to UK converter or multi adaptor with the correct voltage and Amp output. Try maplin or possibly argos for one of those.

Dunno, mines an EU model

It's not a transmitter; it plugs into the phono-in and cd changer control on the back of the head unit

They are not difficult to fit, unless you have a merc! There are converters available for most factory fitted stereos but a quick Google suggests that Mercedes aren't very keen on them :nono: . Try a Mercedes owners forum and see if anyone has found a changer adaptor, otherwise you'll need a Sony head unit.

There is a cradle available from http://www.autoentertainment.net, although it's not listed on their site. I haven't got one so at the moment I throw my hd3 on the passenger seat but it tends to fly off into the foot well under braking. :mad:

I hope you get it sorted. It's great having all that music on the road.

Does anyone know of a cigarette adaptor for the HD3?

Magic

17. cykalan

cykalan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    how about a cigarette to usb adaptor?? I've seen plenty of those around. That said, only possible if you carry the USB mini - HD3 connector with you all the time...

18. Blown383

Blown383

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im wondering what Sony Head Units would work with the adaptor kit from audio entertainment?

-B

19. Blown383

Blown383

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  20. magician

magician
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I think it'll work with all current changer controlling sony head units, but that is just an assumption.

You'd be better asking either connects2 or autoentertainment for a list of compatible or incompatible head units.

magic

21. jay.dee

jay.dee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Magician,

What's it like changing tracks - is it quick?
    Do you get the full mp3 tag?
    Also the SonicStage software, is it more a hindrance than conveinience?

The company who make this, http://www.connects2.com also make a Ipod version - anyone had any experience with this?

Thanks
    Jay

22. magician

magician
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Jay,

Track changes are just as quick as changing directly on the hd3. There is a small delay if the disk needs to spin-up but not longer than 2 seconds or so.

You get the artist and track name displayed on the screen.

Of courese SonicStage is more a hinderance than conveinience but version 3.1 is much better than past efforts. It's no pleasure to use, but pick enought at transferring tracks.

Magic

23. Kaledii

Kaledii

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Refering to the Sony in=car adaptor, can you confirm whether or not you can search and select the album from the head unit, or must this be done from the player?

24. magician

magician
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Kaledii,

You can only skip through albums via the head unit. Jumping to a particular album must be done on the hd3.

magic

25. lammy

lammy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    just wondering if it has to be a sony cd player to work? or can it work on alpine or jvc etc? hope ya can help