sony nw-hd3 and background hiss

It depends who you speak to. Some people say yes, some poeple say no. You need to make a decision on whether to so it or not. I have spoken to many owners, and it would appear the 'hissers' are in the minority.

but can this mean that some nw-hd3s have the hiss and others no?
only some are defective who knows thing it says the sony...

Some players do as read on these forums personally I preffered the NW-HD1 as its got better build quality and with a nice cradle...My does not have any hiss at all :)

giannetto said:
no hiss in NW-HD1 OR NW-HD3?

SuperSaiyan4 said:
Some players do as read on these forums personally I preffered the NW-HD1 as its got better build quality and with a nice cradle...My does not have any hiss at all :)

My NW-HD1 has a pretty nasty noise level (even with the volume turned down to zero), kind of resembling the background noise from an old fashion tape walkman. As much as I love my HD1, I have never had a digital player with so much background noise. I definitely don't think it is acceptable.

The funny thing is that the hiss is only audible with my EX71 earbud phones. With the stock phones and my closed headphones the noise is still there if you *really* listen for it, but it is certainly very soft. The EX71's on the pother hand present me with a veritable wall of noise in the background.

And no, the 71's are not broken - they sound completely clear with my other players, such as my Sony MiniDisc Walkman and my Discman.

I have now sent in my HD1 to Sony for a warranty repair / exchange - It'll be interesting to see what they can do to fix it and what they will say. BTW I also asked them to lift the firmware while they are at it...

Tom

The other problem is the sound levels are capped this can be uncapped by following another posts guide through taking the sound capp off but I dont know what I have done but I turned the cap off buy my tracks dont play anymore :(

My NW-HD1 has a pretty nasty noise level (even with the volume turned down to zero), kind of resembling the background noise from an old fashion tape walkman
Ditto on my HD3 but it was only when the songs were playing - I sent it back. I'm now a happy Karma owner.

darrens said:
Ditto on my HD3 but it was only when the songs were playing - I sent it back. I'm now a happy Karma owner.

Okay, but seriously - has nobody so far been able to get rid of that background hiss without switching to a different brand? I really like my HD1 and I really want to stick to it. I can't believe that a high-end Sony digital player can have such a noise backdrop without the unit being faulty. Surely it must be repairable?

BTW, those of you who report that your units are completely silent between tracks, have you tried using more sensitive phones such as the EX71 or Shure E2? My HD1 had a wall of noise with the EX71 earbuds but (almost) nothing with my closed headphones.

Tom

I got a HD3 and theres no hiss at all, eventhough i use the supplied cheap earphones

I get hiss through quite a wide range of phones if I'm paying attention... the Shure E3c, E5c, even the Qualia 010, etc. It's not unbearably bad I think, I hardly notice it when I'm travelling. I have a few minor problems with the sound, but nothing I can't put out of my mind when listening. The bigger problem is the way the NW-HD3 works... The operating system is seriously behind the competition.

rogerio.arndt said:
I got a HD3 and theres no hiss at all, eventhough i use the supplied cheap earphones

Hello,

Well, I would be surprised if you could hear any background hiss with the stock earphones, those are really pretty unsensitive and wouldn't even pick up tape hiss from a cassette walkman.

In any way, you guys have convinced me that my player indeed must be defective in case the service center says that my unit is up to specs. Thanks!

Tom

I hear hiss on my HD3 using Sony MDR-ED21LP headphones. The hiss is only really noticeable on quiet portions of songs and in between tracks, so if you're listening to it a noisy environment anyway it probably wouldn't bother you. Personally it annoys me enough to change the player, which is a shame as in every other aspect it's great. I haven't heard hiss on my music since I kicked audio cassettes and I'm not ready to effectively take a step backwards.

Finally got my E2c's all I can say is wow what a difference they make, especially with the foam pads. But I still can't hear any hiss, so guess it must be on a unit by unit basis.

I'm sorry if I've missed anyone comment on this but....

Has anyone experienced the hiss on one unit and then used another unit and not heard anything?

I have a HD3 and I would say I can hear something at very low volumes and between songs. After this I tried my old Sony NW-MS70D (flash based atrac device) and found that was the same and could hear the same thing.

I will try and go to my local Sony Centre and see if they have a unit available for trial and see if its a widespread problem or just my unit playing up. But was just curious if anyone had done the same?

lockers said:
I'm sorry if I've missed anyone comment on this but....

Has anyone experienced the hiss on one unit and then used another unit and not heard anything?

I have a HD3 and I would say I can hear something at very low volumes and between songs. After this I tried my old Sony NW-MS70D (flash based atrac device) and found that was the same and could hear the same thing.

I will try and go to my local Sony Centre and see if they have a unit available for trial and see if its a widespread problem or just my unit playing up. But was just curious if anyone had done the same?

i bought 2 hd1s and have concluded all hd1/hd3 hiss at low volumes. to check lower the volume to zero with a track playing and u will hear a hiss for sure even on the original earphones. ALL HD1S HISS. make no mistake, the fact that the music drowns out this hiss is fine, but they ALL hiss.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom