1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sony nw-hd3 and background hiss

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by giannetto, Feb 22, 2005.

1. giannetto

giannetto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    but true or no?
    I wanted to buy him/it but I am very undecided :(

2. mrtbag

mrtbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +395
    It depends who you speak to. Some people say yes, some poeple say no. You need to make a decision on whether to so it or not. I have spoken to many owners, and it would appear the 'hissers' are in the minority.

3. giannetto

giannetto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    but can this mean that some nw-hd3s have the hiss and others no?
    only some are defective who knows thing it says the sony...

4. SuperSaiyan4

SuperSaiyan4
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Some players do as read on these forums personally I preffered the NW-HD1 as its got better build quality and with a nice cradle...My does not have any hiss at all :)

5. RobbySpurs

RobbySpurs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,873
    No hiss here!

6. giannetto

giannetto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no hiss in NW-HD1 OR NW-HD3?

7. aljanomac

aljanomac
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No hiss present on my HD3 (or on any of my mates' ones either!)

8. mimoid

mimoid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My NW-HD1 has a pretty nasty noise level (even with the volume turned down to zero), kind of resembling the background noise from an old fashion tape walkman. As much as I love my HD1, I have never had a digital player with so much background noise. I definitely don't think it is acceptable.

The funny thing is that the hiss is only audible with my EX71 earbud phones. With the stock phones and my closed headphones the noise is still there if you *really* listen for it, but it is certainly very soft. The EX71's on the pother hand present me with a veritable wall of noise in the background.

And no, the 71's are not broken - they sound completely clear with my other players, such as my Sony MiniDisc Walkman and my Discman.

I have now sent in my HD1 to Sony for a warranty repair / exchange - It'll be interesting to see what they can do to fix it and what they will say. BTW I also asked them to lift the firmware while they are at it...

Tom

9. SuperSaiyan4

SuperSaiyan4
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    The other problem is the sound levels are capped this can be uncapped by following another posts guide through taking the sound capp off but I dont know what I have done but I turned the cap off buy my tracks dont play anymore :(

10. RobbySpurs

RobbySpurs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,873
    HD3

11. darrens

darrens
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ditto on my HD3 but it was only when the songs were playing - I sent it back. I'm now a happy Karma owner.

12. mimoid

mimoid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Okay, but seriously - has nobody so far been able to get rid of that background hiss without switching to a different brand? I really like my HD1 and I really want to stick to it. I can't believe that a high-end Sony digital player can have such a noise backdrop without the unit being faulty. Surely it must be repairable?

BTW, those of you who report that your units are completely silent between tracks, have you tried using more sensitive phones such as the EX71 or Shure E2? My HD1 had a wall of noise with the EX71 earbuds but (almost) nothing with my closed headphones.

Tom

13. tom_g

tom_g
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    i've got a HD1 and can't hear hiss. so?

14. ilindsay

ilindsay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got an HD-3 and EX-71s... no hiss whatsoever.

15. rogerio.arndt

rogerio.arndt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got a HD3 and theres no hiss at all, eventhough i use the supplied cheap earphones

16. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I get hiss through quite a wide range of phones if I'm paying attention... the Shure E3c, E5c, even the Qualia 010, etc. It's not unbearably bad I think, I hardly notice it when I'm travelling. I have a few minor problems with the sound, but nothing I can't put out of my mind when listening. The bigger problem is the way the NW-HD3 works... The operating system is seriously behind the competition.

17. mimoid

mimoid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

Well, I would be surprised if you could hear any background hiss with the stock earphones, those are really pretty unsensitive and wouldn't even pick up tape hiss from a cassette walkman.

In any way, you guys have convinced me that my player indeed must be defective in case the service center says that my unit is up to specs. Thanks!

Tom

18. thisismethen

thisismethen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have hiss but only a little bit that is only noticeable at v low volumes

19. jat316sob

jat316sob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I hear hiss on my HD3 using Sony MDR-ED21LP headphones. The hiss is only really noticeable on quiet portions of songs and in between tracks, so if you're listening to it a noisy environment anyway it probably wouldn't bother you. Personally it annoys me enough to change the player, which is a shame as in every other aspect it's great. I haven't heard hiss on my music since I kicked audio cassettes and I'm not ready to effectively take a step backwards.

20. giannetto

giannetto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    have you tried to change headphones?

21. cashback

cashback

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Mine has no hiss either :D

22. mg-paul

mg-paul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Finally got my E2c's all I can say is wow what a difference they make, especially with the foam pads. But I still can't hear any hiss, so guess it must be on a unit by unit basis.

23. dannyjames

dannyjames

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can only hear hiss on the older cds.

24. lockers

lockers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I'm sorry if I've missed anyone comment on this but....

Has anyone experienced the hiss on one unit and then used another unit and not heard anything?

I have a HD3 and I would say I can hear something at very low volumes and between songs. After this I tried my old Sony NW-MS70D (flash based atrac device) and found that was the same and could hear the same thing.

I will try and go to my local Sony Centre and see if they have a unit available for trial and see if its a widespread problem or just my unit playing up. But was just curious if anyone had done the same?

25. washout

washout

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i bought 2 hd1s and have concluded all hd1/hd3 hiss at low volumes. to check lower the volume to zero with a track playing and u will hear a hiss for sure even on the original earphones. ALL HD1S HISS. make no mistake, the fact that the music drowns out this hiss is fine, but they ALL hiss.

26. watchinthewheel

watchinthewheel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have a hd3 and have tried expensive earphones, the supplied earphones and even pc speakers and not found any hiss at all even at high volumes.

27. washout

washout

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes but follow my instructions, turn the volume to ZERO, then play a track and u will hear a hiss that only goes away as the volume is turned up. the hiss is always there it is just inaudible at normal volumes

28. watchinthewheel

watchinthewheel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just tried that and couldnt hear anything. just a normal background noise, and if its THAT quiet why does it matter anyway? if it goes away when you play anything at a regular voulme just dont turn the sound down to listen to it.

29. washout

washout

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    u are correct, it is irrelevent basically. as the volume is slowly turned up the background noise remains as the music drowns it out. but bottom line is its normal and doesnt matter anyway.

30. mimoid

mimoid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, it may matter if you listen to music with quiet passages, such as most of the classical music genre. The background hiss is evident and may even be disturbing if you are sensitive for unwanted noise.

However, I just received my HD1 back from the Sony service center to where I had sent it to be upgraded to the new firmware. At the same time, I also asked them to check the background hiss issue.

The reply was that the unit functions perfectly normally. According to the service center, the hiss is caused by the electronics generating a stray leakage, which is picked up by the DA converter (?) in the unit. (Or something like that, I am not a electronics guru, sorry).

Apparently it is the same on *every* HD1 and HD3 manufactured. If you can't hear it, is just because you either use less sensitive phones or have less sensitive ears.

I sampled two other units (a HD1 and a HD3) in the shop and they both had the same noise. Well, at least the riddle is solved. Not to my full satisfaction, but there it is. I would think that Sony deliberately refrains from specifying the signal to noise ratio on the spec sheet for this very reason.

Tom