1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony NW-HD1

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by danzig66, Nov 16, 2004.

1. danzig66

danzig66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone heard one of these? Sony NW-HD1
    Battery life does seem to be around the 30 hour mark according to the reviews. Pity mp3 and wma support isn't native and has to be converted to atrac, but it still seems like a good player. Was hoping to persuade a friend to pick one up in the US where they seem to be around £120 less than the RRP here!

2. danzig66

danzig66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. max_keller

max_keller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does this player have native mp3 playback?

4. danzig66

danzig66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No - there's no native mp3 or wma support unfortunately. You have to use the supplied SonicStage software to convert your mp3s to a proprietary file format (Sony's atrac in this case) a la the iPod. SonicStage doesn't appear to have a good reputation from reviews I have read and it incorporates some form of DRM (Digital Rights Management) in it, which puts restrictions on how you can use your music files. I've never used it though, so I'm not sure exactly how this works

5. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    Basically you just point sonicstage at your mp3s, tell it what quality atrac you want and when you transfer your music across to the HD1 it converts it on the fly..

I've done 15GB of MP3 onto my vaio pocket no probs.. sonic stage is a bit clunky but once its done who cares.. I have mainly 192bps mp3s and converted them to ATRAC 132 and I cannot tell the difference.

Matt

6. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    The sony is a lovely bit of kit. It's tiny and extremely well built, it also sounds a bit better than the ipod as well. You can get it for around £250 from Richersounds.

Unfortunately it's not for me and an Ipod is wanted as present by someone and that's what I have to get. But if it was for myself it'd be the Sony.

7. Gorshin

Gorshin
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Is it possible to increase the volume of tracks????? My brother just got it and its too quiet! Any advise please?

8. danzig66

danzig66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Actually, I think I've had a change of heart - the Creative Zen Touch looks better value for money. 20Gb, 24 hour battery life, native support for mp3 and wma and crucially only £170 (from Amazon). The reviews seem very positive too

9. Kallyb

Kallyb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    does anyone know how much the Sony NW-HD 1Kit will cost in thailand as i am visiting there in january. how many thai bahts will it cost or approximatly how much british punds?

10. Steve Rollings

Steve Rollings

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sony are going to make a firmware update available so the NW-HD1 can play MP3 , it will cost about £10 in Japan, that makes it about £50 here in the UK.

11. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
  12. Chanser

Chanser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +289
    The Sony VGF-AP1(L) will have mp3 support too via firmware upgrade :D.May get a 40GB version just over £250 :).

13. johnaalex

johnaalex
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,317
    I did a quick check on: http://www.pantipprice.com/index.asp, but the Sony NW-HD is not shown there, so maybe it is a bit too soon after the product's launch. It is worth keeping a check on this site as the prices are usually good, shipping is free and the current rate rate of about 75 baht to the pound is also good.

14. Alan_W

Alan_W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +189
    The HD1 is now £220 from John Lewis, but the new one seems better as regards MP3 compatability, upgraded software and more flexible charging and costs the same.

I have just bought a HD1, is still unopened so I think it needs to go back :smashin:

15. G a f f e r

G a f f e r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +467
    nowhere near as good as iPod sound quality when in AAC lossless mode though....

it's a shame Sony persists with Atrac and has no equivalent compressionless format available.....ah well! :(

16. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    The HD1 has PCM mode. Not lossless but uncompressed (i.e. a huge waste of space). The onboard amp on the iPod is better when connected to external equipment such as headphone amps. For uncritical listening, I can't fault the HD1's sound: Nice, smooth and dynamic despite the limited output, even with somewhat graty anaemic phones like the Etymotic ER-4P.

17. namastebuzz

namastebuzz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Got one from Jack in the Box

for £199 inc postage. Very good service too.

Good bit of kit if you're just transferring music from CDs and don't have loads of MP3s.

The remote from Sony Minidisc walkmen works with it also.

18. GJC

GJC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    I might get the new Sony on 20th Dec. has anyone located specs regarding the onboard Amp? I would get one if its as good as my old Iriver Ihp-120.

I love my portable minidisc recorder but the output on them is rubbish and doesnt do my E2C's any justice.

19. fozzmando

fozzmando

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the NW-HD1 and happen to be looking for some help transferring songs. I have put an album onto the player, but they don't appear to be in the right order. Can I edit the order on the player or do I have to do it on the computer?

20. Kallyb

Kallyb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You guys have been helpfull, but i stil dont know how much it will cost me. the sony ND H1 is pricey here, how many thai bahts will they be, and also how many thai bahts will the ipod mini be?

21. Alan_W

Alan_W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +189
    Does anyone have any info on the firmware upgrade Sony have anounced to enable the HD1 to play MP3s?

22. madkat

madkat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you live in the UK

CALL THIS NUMBER to get through to Customer Services and REGISTER YOUR INTEREST!!! The more people who say they want it, the more likely they are to release/perform firmware updates here!!!