1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony NW-HD1 Volume

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by BBXepha, Dec 2, 2004.

1. BBXepha

BBXepha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Folks

My Ipod finally died so I picked up a Sony Network Walkman NW-HD1, the only problem is that when travelling around London the traffic and train noise totally drowns out the player. The volume is very poor, for music I don't mind too much but with audiobooks it can be a real pain.

My Ipod I used the euPod volume boost which solved the problem there but can't find an answer for the NW-HD1... is it possible to edit the source Atrac files and increase the volume?

I've been googling like mad on this one and am hoping I can stick with the sony and pass the iPod on to the missus when it gets back from warranty repair... but at the moment it looks like the wife will get my shiny new toy.

Any help greatly appreciated!

2. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Swap your phones. Invest in a Shure E2c, or for something cheap, the Sony MDR-EX71SL. Isolating phones will allow you to hear more.

The E2c can be picked up for around £70 at shops in Tottenham Court Road. Most branches of Dixons sell the EX71SL for £35. The EX offers roughly half the noise blocking capability of the E2c but is still effective. You can get the E2c a lot cheaper from the US, if you're prepared to wait.

3. BBXepha

BBXepha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply. I use MDR-EX71 phones at the moment, maybe I am just expecting too much out of it. I could go for an in line amp but that kinda defeats the object of going ultra portable. I'll check out the E2c and see if I get much improvement...

Currently I am experimenting with applying gain to the source MP3 files in the hope that when the sony software concerts it won't normalise them to the current volume.

I've turned off the AVSL(sp) option so it isn't trying to mess around with the files during play back.

4. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    The Shure E series phones (and the Etymotics) do make a major difference for isolation (and in the case of the E3c and E5c, the volume per milliwatt as well) and are worth a punt although they're not quite as nicely designed as the EX71SL. I love the little case for the 71's and in contrast it's a pain finding somewhere for the Shures and Etymotics to dangle.

5. BBXepha

BBXepha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Upping the gain on the source MP3 files helped a lot, not a good idea on music files (as I had to go high enough to introduce clipping) but then again music I can live with but missing chunks of an audio book can be a pain.

Looks like I have a temp solution atleast, definately need to upgrade the headphones.

Thanks again for the help!

6. Spiderben

Spiderben

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Volume reduction is done by manufacturer for european market. It can however be restored to the original Japanese loudness!. See http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=184051