Sony NW-A3000 thoughts?

FunkyT

Standard Member
Reaction score
Has anyone got experience of this unit? A true iPod killer perhaps?

do a search of this forumthere are loads of threads about it, but the 35hr battery life and tactile feel this has does it for me.

I've had this for a while now and although it does what it says on the tin, it does not sound as good as my old iriver H140 (now sold).

The pack in headphones are shiny and thats it, i am using the ETYMOTIC EPR4's (~£140) with the unit. It is very easy to loose all your data on the unit when syncing to the connect software, which i won't go into now try a website called atraclife. Once your music in on the unit it cant go wrong, battary life is awsome, user interface is east to use, the artist link function is a nice idea.

If all you want to do is mp3 then this is a good choice, but please don't even try the pack in headphones. I am considering selling it now but i cant find a iriver good enough to replace it.

I had an HD3 which got nicked. I replaced it with the silver A3000.

First impression was that it was superb, looks fantastic, the year shuffle thing is ace, the sound good and the battery lasts for ages. Then gradually, I realised that actually, I don't like it that much.

I can't explain why, there's just something about it that's not quite right.

It's probably because I mainly use it in my car, with a tape / headphone socket attachment and as it's rounded, it doesn't sit right, meaning I have to fiddle with it to use it.

Or maybe not, I really don't know.

Anyway, I've bought an upgraded HD5 (for some reason the HD3s on there were more than hd5s) from ebay and I now use that. The A3000 will be sold when I get round to it.

All in all, it's a good player, but not for me.

If you're determined to buy a Sony, hunt out the HD5. It's a better machine than the NW-A3000.

The screen sucks (The HD5's is razor-sharp in comparison), it's bulky, and it doesn't support the superior Sony Minidisc remotes (one of the reasons of getting a Sony over an iPod). There are various other things I can mention but I don't understand why Sony didn't work on honing the HD5 instead of bringing out the A-series. It's very pretty but that's about all that's going for the A3000.

You do lose the ability to EQ in MP3, but I guess if you're buying a Sony you've probably been sold into the ATRAC thing. If you do want a great-to-use digital audio jukebox though, I'd still recommend the iPod over the HD5 or the NW-A3000. The only thing on the market that's anywhere near an iPod-Killer is the Creative Zen Vision M and even that doesn't quite cut it.

Thanks very much for the helpful replies!

I'm lucky that I've been bought an NW-A3000 - just wanted to see how it compared to an iPod :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom