Sony Nvxp1

Discussion in 'ICE, Sat Navs & Dash Cams Forum' started by compolitus, Mar 9, 2006.

1. compolitus

compolitus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Any comments on Sony NVXP1 would be appreciated. I have TomTom GO 300 and would like a comparison.

Thanks

2. deniewibly

deniewibly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    No comparison, the Sony is a crock of s**t. It has no internal battery so has to be constantly powered from your car power. The new Sony units are very good though, I have the U70. The TomTom300 beats the old sony hands down.

3. compolitus

compolitus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2

Thanks for that .

I can get a new one for £150.00 is that good value ?

4. AntF

AntF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I used one of the Navman icn650 versions of this device last year driving through France and found it excellent. If you can get it for £150 it is a real bargain, IMHO.

I disagree with the issue of the lack of battery - I had a TomTom Go 700 for a short while and thought it would be better because it wouldn't need to always be plugged in when in the car. This is not really how it works in real life - (depending on how you use the thing). The problem is the battery will discharge even when the device is off - it seems to be in a sleep mode. So, if you have not used it for a week the battery will probably be flat and you will need to plug it in in the car (or at home). I found the Navman interface from the map graphics to the menus and preference possibilities far superior to any other device I have seen - in fact I think the TomTom maps look quite tatty compared to the Navman/Sony.

Only real gripes are the fairly large size and the lack of Macintosh support offered by either Navman or Sony.