1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SONY NS999ES. (With Pal Progessive)!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Cambo, Dec 29, 2002.

1. Cambo

Cambo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm dying to know.. Has anyone tried out the new Sony NS999ES yet? If so, what are your thoughts/impressions?

I've a Sony VW11HT PJ and want a player with Pal & NTSC progressive.
    The Arcam is out of my buget and there are mixed reviews about the Denons. Could the NS999ES be the answer...

avland.co.uk have it for £899, but as plenty of sites in the US have it for $899, I'm sure the stirling price should drop soon.

This player must be new out here, as I've not seen it on the forums here and at present, av-land appear to be the only retailers selling it in the UK?

2. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    Hi,

You could save yourself a few bob by going for the Philips 963SA which is easily hackable for MR and PAL PS. I know they have been in short supply recently, but I'm sure the new year will see more stock. Those Hungarians will have work a bit faster :) The 963SA has the latest Faroudja de-interlacing chip and no chroma bug so you should get a stonking picture from your Sony pj. Good luck :)

Steve

3. Cambo

Cambo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Steve.
    I,ve not considered philips before, but will look in to it. Just considered it a bit of a bland brand I suppose!
    Cheers for the quick reply.
    Cameron.

4. garyc

garyc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    its my undestanding its not out yet, avland have had it on their site for a month or so. I did see it at the september london hifi show and it looked top stuff, was hoping it would be out by now - can't wait much longer may have to go for the arcam dv88.

Gary

5. dejongj

dejongj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cambo,

You may want to check out the Limit 9900SE as sold by Richer sounds. If you can get over the fact that you don't know who made it, you get a stonking good player. Mine was PAL/NTSC progressive and multi-region out of the box.

Another post stated that it has the same chipset as the Arcam. It looks fantastic and the price is a mere £199 and available now.

I was pleasantly surprised buy such a good looking quality product with a superb picture and sound from a Manufacturer I have never heard of...

Cheers,

Jean-Paul

6. Cambo

Cambo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Bought the Pioneer 757Ai. Damm good player.

7. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    Hi Cambo,

Good choice - I've got one of those too!:smashin:

Steve

8. Audionyx

Audionyx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Returning to the issue of the 999ES - It has been available in the States and has had a mixed response. Apparently bad shimmering issues and lousy layer changes have been experienced.

I phoned Sony before then end of last year and was given the usual "We don't comment on un-anounced products" After a little persuasion I was informed that it would be available from March.

Obviously tech issues have dogged this player and I doubt it will ever reach the UK until such problems have been resolved.

Secrets of home theatre site gave this player a bad review and warned to avoid as it was a step backwards from the 9000Es

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/main.html

Shame really as it looks a smart piece of kit!

Darren