1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SONY NS930V - Picture Problem

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Gizmo 76, Aug 28, 2003.

1. Gizmo 76

Gizmo 76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +522
    Hi all,

Had my Sony DVD player for about 3 weeks, just upgraded all my speakers this week, sat down to watch my first film with the new setup. I put 'Toy Story 2' in, about 2 thirds though the film i noticed that the picture at the top of the screen was scew-whiff(is that a word!!). Only noticed because it the first widescreen film i've watched that filled the screen(1.78:1), Happens on both NTSC and PAL, NTSC is more noticable but i assume this because of the way it expands the picture to fill the screen.

The Picture does this at top of the screen:-

| |
    < <
    | |

Instead of being like this:-

| |
    | |
    | |

It's probably nothing major gone wrong with the player, just the geometry of the screen needs setting up properly, like PC monitor with all their different settings to straighten the picture.

Has anyone else come across this problem?? or there a manufacturer's setup menu for this sort of stuff??

Thanxs in advance for any help

p.s. Will be phoning Techtronics first thing in the morning!!!:mad:

2. kwangomango

kwangomango

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Have you tried connecting another source other than the DVD player? It really is a good idea to eliminate all other possibilities before you suggest to the supplier that the unit you bought is faulty.

3. Gizmo 76

Gizmo 76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +522
    Tried all that, different SCART lead, tried my old player and picture was fine. Can't try another output as i don't use s-video lead or have any component connection points!!! Tried running the SCART lead as RGB, Compositive, and S-Video, all with the same results!

So i know the problem is coming from the player, here's couple of pics to explain better than my crude line drawing:blush:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    That looks familiar - my old Sony CRT was exactly the same with NTSC dvd's - but it didn't do it with PAL ones! I tried different DVD players at the time (My main one was a Sony 905, I had others too) and I think it didn't make any difference but I cant' remember for sure. I also tried adjusting the TV in service mode, but I was unable to fix it. I still think it's a TV issue. Good luck!

5. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,961
    i noticed this exact same fault on my 905 yesterday on R1 Still Crazy...

Top 1cm of the screen is wonky....as usual checked all cables and connections..will investigate further when i finish work for the week.

6. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    Could this be a macrovision effect? Could you try a dvd without macrovision or a vcd/svcd if you have one? Sony being the owner of various film and tv comparies has a very strong macrovision altered sync compared to other brands. A software flag on the dvd disc indicates for the macrovision signal to be switched on and dvd players generate the macrovision signal themselves.

7. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,961
    macrovision is disabled on my player

8. Gizmo 76

Gizmo 76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +522
    Pretty sure it's not a TV problem as it never done it with my old 717 or with my Xbox.

I will hook up another TV when i get home and try that, will also test out a DVD without marcovision if anyone could let me know a couple of films?

Mine is multiregion and i'm pretty sure macrovision is off, i'll swing it through my VCR to see it the pictures goes flicky!!

If none of this solves it, i will phone up the good old techincal(can you hold please!!!) support line later.

9. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,961
    good luck with techtronics

10. Gizmo 76

Gizmo 76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +522
    Thanks, :laugh:.

Never had a problem with them yet, i know others have, i always phone the london branch and talk to 'Akin', well anyways i'll let you all know how it goes later.

11. Gizmo 76

Gizmo 76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +522
    Latest News

Rang Techtronics, london branch shut until the 8th September, Main branch, you get to listen to Cher for a couple of minutes then your put through to an answer machine.

So i've left a message on their support forum, see what comes of this!?!

I'm pretty sure it's a macrovision related issue, when you stop the disc from playing, it sorts out the picture for a split second before turning off.

Unless Techtronics can come up with some sort of firmware upgrade, i will have to exchange for different player or arrange a refund!!!!!!!

:mad:

12. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    perhaps play a dvd that is known not to use macro vision?

13. Gizmo 76

Gizmo 76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +522
    so from now on i'll only buy films without macrovision!!!!!!, no i will get this sorted as i've just paid out for new speakers for my system and not letting DVD player let down my setup.

:suicide:

14. ted26

ted26

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    :laugh: i think cybersoga was trying to help you find the fault and not telling you to buy non macro dvds :)

15. Gizmo 76

Gizmo 76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +522
    Yeah i know!! no offense intended cybersoga:smashin: , just a bit annoyed by the problem.

Posted a message on their technical support forum and had one relpy so far, "to ask me to try a different player as the problem is more than likely TV related". Done this is satisfy their request, but as i already knew the problem is related with this player. I made a reply and am eagerly awaiting the next response!!

16. Gizmo 76

Gizmo 76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +522
    STORY UPDATE

I've owned a Sony 930 for about 3 weeks now, a week ago i discovered that it displays full screen(1.78:1 & 1.85:1) NTSC signals with a distorted top edge, haven't noticed before as majority of films i watch are 2.35:1 picture ration, screenshot below:-
    [​IMG]

Now i could return this to techtronics from which i purchased, but they are going to charge me £23.50 for carriage :mad: I'm a frequent buyer and have always recommended this company not anymore!!!! :mad:

So i phoned up Sony and they said to take it to one of their 'Sony repair centres', with my receipt and get it repaired for free, BUT my player has been mulit-region modified so if the problem relates to the software upgrade i'm not covered!!!! :? So what i need to do is test it before tomorrow afternoon with a Region 2 disc which has a NTSC picture signal on, do any of you peoples know of any????

Also has anyone who owns this player come across this fault?? happens on different TVs, with both the SCART and Phono connection method(don't own component equipment!!

Cheers for any help

Giz.

17. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Are films from Japan region 2 NTSC, just a half thought.

18. Gizmo 76

Gizmo 76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +522
    All my Japan Region 2 films(BR, The Eye, Ring) are all in the PAL format, maybe there are some that are??

19. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Japan uses NTSC, not PAL.

Steve

20. Gizmo 76

Gizmo 76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +522
    I haven't got any imported ones, i was just saying the the region 2 japan films from this country are PAL.

The only NTSC film(series) that i've found so far is 'Sex in the city' which is for some reason NTSC, but i don't and i don't know anyone who does own this.

21. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    Gizmo,
    I had a near identical problem a couple of years back. It wasn't the DVD player, hate to say it but it was the TV set (Panasonic's first 36" model), it just didn't like the signal it was receiving. Ended up having to get the set changed to a newer model (PF10) in order to cure the bendy bit at the top.

The fact that the player works ok on another set pretty much says it all. Hope I'm wrong but if not then might be worth trying another player.

All in all, a pretty frustrating time for you. Hope it works out one way or another.
    Paul

22. Gizmo 76

Gizmo 76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +522
    Cheers for your comments Paul.

I've tried the player on a couple of different TVs and it produces the same image problems and i've used different DVD player on my TV as well, and these all work fine. So it's related to the player for sure, it's being sent back next week so hopefully when i receive a new one the problem will be solved:rolleyes: .

23. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    My apologies Gizmo, I mistakenly thought you had said that it had worked ok on other tv's. As you say, player for sure then. Must admit I was surprised that it was a Sony tv that was having a problem with a Sony player.

Hopefully all will be well in the end, like I said, these things can be a real hassle factor when they occur.
    Best,
    Paul

24. Gizmo 76

Gizmo 76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +522
    Hassle it has been indeed. I've even had problems with the company purchased it from as well on top of this(as reported in another thread around this section!!).

Oh well, hopefully we'll be sorted soon, as i've just got my Sub and Amp left to upgrade:smashin: