Sony NS930V and getting the best from it

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by dUnKle, Sep 4, 2004.

1. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,455
    Have the above player connected via component out to an Hitachi 5200 plasma screen - the picture is great and so is the sound - or I should say WAS

Someone has been messing about with the various settings and it now looks awful - so bad in fact that when watching The Punisher R1 DVD I was getting some strobbing light and dark moments (similar to old style macrovision)

I have set them back to factory settings but it still seems a bit off

Can anyone give me some idea what settings to use for best picture and sound (some of the menus for sound are rather strange, such as wide for audio)

I have also noticed some problems with the player in prog scan mode - when in prog scan mode some scenes (mostly stuff like titles moving verticly up the screen) seem to jerk

Would be most grateful

Also I have a Toshiba 510 DVD player sat doing nothing - which is "supposed" to be the best player ?

2. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,455
    anyone ?

3. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,455
    please ?

4. z5461313

z5461313

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +177
    Does the plasma accept progressive scan and do you have the progressive scan button switched on on the dvd player?

5. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,455
    It does accept prog scan but is an alis panel and thus and have it switched off

6. manc

manc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had one of these players and had none of these problems out of the box with a hitachi 42pma400e plasma, was a good quality player. Not really much help but my experience :)

7. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,455
    thanks

guess ill just need to mess about a bit

8. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,455
    After getting a new Denon amp that does upscaling I have gone back to this Sony from the Oppo

The basic picture is just so much better and even after all this time its still best player I have owned

However does anyone have any custom settings that get even more out of it ?

9. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,455
    Is there anyone out there still using (or still remember) this player and have any custom and enhanced picture settings ?

10. Geoff_D

Geoff_D
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,702
    Do you still have the Hitachi plasma? Forget about the 'interlaced' ALiS panel. I run 480p/576p into my 32" Sony plasma (which is 852x1024 ALiS) and the difference between prog and interlaced is night and day. The two biggest areas of improvement were in terms of fine detail and the smoothness of motion. What previously looked indistinct and pallid now leapt into focus, looking much more smooth and filmic as a result.

I can't agree about the 930 player though, as I had one for a few weeks but took it back because its efforts at deinterlacing were just awful. Lovely PQ in general, but the processing really struggled on anything with lots of horizontal lines (like blinds on a window, or - horror of horrors - the opening crawls on the Star Wars movies), causing lots of jaggies and jitter.

It also had trouble recognising the 'flags' of video material during a film-based movie irrespective of the deinterlacing mode (Auto/Video). The Sony even produced artefacts related to these incorrect flags in the interlaced mode! It simply wasn't good enough.

The player I had before the Sony (Pioneer 470) and the player I have now (Panny S97) show no sign of any deinterlacing issues with my set and look awesome through progressive.