Sony NS730p & NS930V - Any good with DVDr

holtehero

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Considering buying a Sony NS730p or NS930V and wonder what they are like at reading DVDr's

I use both Princo based disks and also disks using Ritek G04 dye and wondered if anyone had experience of using Sony machines with DVDr's

I have also read about layer changes being quite slow, does this have a real affect on viewing experience?

Or should i wait for either Pioneer or Toshiba to release comparable players

Thanks in advance

HH

I have a Sony 900v and it reads my Bulkpaq dvd'rs and datawrite dvdrw's no problem.The ones you mention are newer models.

I used to have the 905, and now I have the 930. I have had no problems playing any discs whatsoever - DVD+R, DVD-R, VCD, SVCD, VCD 2.0, CDRs etc. The DVD-Rs I currently use are princo because they are cheap. The layer change is something you can learn to live with, but some discs have badly placed layer changes interrrupting the film. Superbit titles don't do it (no layer change delay) so I think it's possibly a conspiracy to sell Superbit discs considering Superbit titles are Columbia Tristar (a Sony Pictures Company).

Thanks thats good to hear, looks like i will be buying one of these this weekend then :)

I would highly recommend the '930', replaced my old(but classic:( ) Pioneer 717 with it.

SUPERB picture, good CD play back, and haven't had any problems with any discs as yet.

The only things that let it down are:-

The layer change, no faster than my 4 and half year old machine. but still only 2 seconds tops!!! i'll survive!!

And you can't suffle your MP3 tracks, more annoyed by this, how hard could it be to incorperate that option!!:mad:

But for the money and if your not bothered about the MINOR flaws, then buy away. RECOMMENDED :smashin:

Originally posted by Gizmo 76
can't suffle your MP3 tracks, more annoyed by this, how hard could it be to incorperate that option!!:mad:

How annoying is that:mad: Mine is waiting for me when i get home. Are you sure you haven't missed option? Are all Sony players like this?

Originally posted by kwangomango
How annoying is that:mad: Mine is waiting for me when i get home. Are you sure you haven't missed option? Are all Sony players like this?

Please find this option!! I've check everyway of doing it(hopefully i haven't though;)), through the menu's, with the buttons on the remote, but alas no way to shuffle. Grrrrr!!! The manual even tells you how it plays MP3 in the order that the folders are arranged on the CD, will just have record MP3 CD's with the tracks already shuffled and situated in 1 folder.

Kwangomango(cool alias!!) i hope you find the mystery hidden option, but for your DVD viewing pleasure it's still a Great player.:smashin:

The layer change, no faster than my 4 and half year old machine. but still only 2 seconds tops!!! i'll survive!!

That would put me off it straight away.

Originally posted by dtsrules
That would put me off it straight away.

Didn't know about the slow layer change before i brought it!!, but the increase in picture quality makes my upgrade well worth it in my opinion as the player cost just under £240!!

I know you can get a Pionner 656 for £300, but this lacks the PAL progessive output that i wanted for future use.

How quick are the layer changes on the latest Pioneer DVD players???

I Know the Denon players have a buffer, so no layer change!!. Also the XBox must have one as well because i've never noticed one on that either(picture quality nowhere near as good though!!).

I Know the Denon players have a buffer, so no layer change!!.

The latest one does have a layer change, not sure about the more expensive ones.

As for pioneers layer change i can only speak for the 656 but i have honestly never noticed one more than ¼ of a second, apart from From Hell which has a terrible layer change and lasts almost a second.

I was looking at getting a prog scan player to go with my new panny pd30 but i have been told i will have to spend more than i paid for my 656 to get any increase in picture quality.

Originally posted by dtsrules
I was looking at getting a prog scan player to go with my new panny pd30 but i have been told i will have to spend more than i paid for my 656 to get any increase in picture quality.

As far as i know you would noticed increase with progressive over interlaced whatever the machine??!! Only what i've read though!

I only own a naff 28inch widescreen at the mo. After i've finished upgrading all my speakers(Fronts & Sub left!), then maybe TV will be replaced.

Do you not notice the difference with your Region 1 discs in progressive(or is your machine not multi-region?)??

In progressive mode, has anyone else noticed ringing+ghosting in the avia sharpness test? Not only are there white lines round the black ones, but they have another shadow beside the white line (ghosting). I found that putting the player in SOFT mode sorts it out and doesn't decrease resolution, but it would be nice to know for sure if it's the DVD player or the screen which is causing this.

Have mine connected via component to a Loewe set. I didn't notice any ringing or ghosting on the Avia sharpness test. I tried all of the DVE settings but not much difference. I have the sets sharpness as low as it will go so maybe this is why. I'll have a quick play over the weekend to make sure there are no problems.

The ghosting was (is) being caused by my screen, it was the same with the Denon 2900, and various component cables that i've tried. I've got round the problem by using the "SOFT" mode on the dvd player and adjusting the sharpness on the screen so it's at the point of the ringing just starting to appear.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom