SONY NS730 palprog scan

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by David M, Aug 28, 2003.

1. David M

David M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just bought a Sony NS730 from Techtronics for £140 I have tested it with my Panasonic TX-32pd30 and the non prog picture is far improved to my very old Toshiba SD-100. Incidentally I am also using the Supra AV3 cables which are as good as what HiFi says (from HiFibitz £55). Switch to prog scan and there is a slight improvement but not jaw dropping. I guess I have been reading too much hype.

Anyway the reason I am posting this is that when I play a R2 disk in PAL prog scan mode a semi translucent grey border appears down the rhs of my TV. It is about 1.5 inches wide and is concave in shape, the rest of the picture is normal. When I turn prog scan off the picture is clear. I initially thought it must be the mod, however, the Sony comes with PAL prog scan as standard the mod gives it NTSC prog (as far as I can gather).

Has anybody else experienced this fault with the NS 730, if so was it with the same TV. Techtronics has asked me to test the DVD with another PAL prog TV, however, I don't happen to have a spare one lying around!!!!

PS Has anybody tested the new Pioneer AX3 or Sony 3000 AV receivers (same price) can't decide between the two, they both look great.

2. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    What screen are you using? *edit* umm sorry I must be blind. Can the Panny accept a 576p (PAL progressive) signal?

3. kwangomango

kwangomango

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
  4. David M

David M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys after reading the link to the TV area of the forum it is evident that there is a glitch with the PD30 when using PAL prog scan on certain DVD's. The Sony NS730 must be one of them.

Most of my discs are R1 so it isn't the end of the world, but it won't stop me harassing Panasonic for some compensation.

5. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Perhaps the TV can be adjusted in service mode to display 576p properly - whether this will nock it out of adjustment for other modes of display is another question.