1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony NS700 to NS900 upgrade

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by micks_address, Feb 20, 2002.

1. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    Hi folks,

Need some quick input on this if possible. I bought an NS700 before christmas and I'm reasonably happy with it. After reading all the reviews of the NS900 in magazines and posts on newsgroups I was kinda sorry i didn't go for the NS900. I contacted my dealer yesterday and he agreed to let me upgrade to the NS900.

He's giving me the value of my NS700 minus 10% so I have to pay 180 IEP to upgrade to the NS900.

Is it worth the upgrade?. The picture on the NS700 seems reasonably good to me but if the NS900 is much better I'll go for that.

My tv is a Sony KV32 FQ - 32" widescreen. Any thoughts on if I'll notice a marked improvement with the NS900.

Might be doing the exchange as early as this evening so any advice would be much appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Michael

2. GarethH

GarethH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'd say upgrade. You get SVCD compatibility with the 900 i think. With your kick ass TV you should have a better DVD Player.

Just my view though, so if your not happy with upgrading, don't blame me :D

3. Craig_Nike

Craig_Nike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I personally dont think you'll see a difference in the picture.

I haven't compared them side by side, but I dont think it will be noticable. The Sony 7 series DVD players are all top quality.

4. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    Thanks for the advice guys,
    Anyone else think its worth the upgrade or am i just throwing good money away?. Not too bothered about the superior audio quality of the 900 - won't be using it much for listening to music. Is it worth the upgrade for the picture alone?

Any input appreciated,
    Thanks,
    Mick

5. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286
    From the spec sheet I don't see too much reason to upgrade to the NS900. There also seem to have been a lot of problems reported with weird Scart AV switching behaviour on the NS900 which never seem to have been completely resolved.

There again I'm due to take delivery of an NS700V tomorrow sometime (didn't see the point in paying the extra for the NS900V), so I could be somewhat in 'rampantly biased mode' at the moment.

What do you think of the NS700 then? I have to admit it was a bit pricey for what you get (no mp3 is a real bummer however SACD is an interesting proposition) but I am definitely a Sony AV fan so I bought it in preference to the cheaper brand name competition. Does it give progressive output on R1 discs? (no one seems to know, so far).

Gav

6. konghh

konghh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  7. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    Well I decided to upgrade my player. I'm taking it out to the Sony Centre this evening and getting it changed. Hopefully I'll notice some improvement over the NS700 (which isn't that bad - i'm probably daft!).

I ordered a region free hacking remote from dvdchips as well in the uk. Hopefully that'll work ok as well. Anyone used one before?

Thanks,
    Mick

8. andyp

andyp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Mick, get your Sony dealer to multiregion hack it, I did, no charge, no problem. No RCE though.

Andy P.

9. konghh

konghh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And Mick. Don't forget to post back your comparision of the 700V and the 900V. Both video and audio. I would very much like to read them. I would have opted for the 900V myself but for the fact that it sales for Sterling Pound 700 equivalent and the 700V is 270 here. Really ridiculous.

10. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    Ok, I picked up the ns900 last night and I'm afraid the report is not good. First thing it shows the weird av switching problem on rgb output. In the setup menu's of the player it switches from av1 to av2 freqently and on a region free ntsc disc it does the same.

Other thing I've noticed is that the rgb output is way darker than the output of the ns700 almost too dark. Upshot is that I'm going back to the dealer tomorrow with the player.

And to think I had a perfectly good ns700 player that I returned (doh!). If I can I'm going to try and demo the ns900 in the shop tomorrow beside the ns900 to show the differences to the retailer.

I have to say though that the picture quality does seem amazing. Its little comfort though.

I've noticed as well that the sony.co.uk and .ie web sites don't show this player in the products listing any more. Its a bit ominous to say the least. I'll let you know what happens tommorow but I'd say I could be back with the ns700 again.

Cheers,
    Mick

11. konghh

konghh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On my DVP700V, I find the dark area of the picture being too dark. In another word, I cann't really see any detail in the dark area that I could with a friend's higher end Toshiba. Does the 900V improves on that?

12. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286
    I can't believe they never sorted out that AV switching problem. I was set to buy the NS900 but after reading about the problems here I went for the NS700 instead.

On the issue of darkness, definitely the RGB out of the NS700 is 'brighter' than that of the older Sony 715 which it replaced ... I had to whack up the contrast of the digibox which was passed through the 715, in order to compensate but I set it back to 'normal' now with the NS700.

Gav

13. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    I'd say the problem with the player I have is that it could have been in stock for a few months with the retailer. I mentioned to him about the problems as reported with av switching before I bought the player and he hadn't heard of any and that he'd sold a few players and would have expected to have heard if there were problems.

As for the detail on dark colours - well I'd say yes maybe there is more detail there. The picture certainly looks shaper but this may be down to the fact that the brightness on the rgb is way lower than the ns700.

Upshot i I'm going out to the shop tomorrow morning - going to demo a few ns900 players in the shop. If there's one that seems ok I'm going to take that. If not I'm taking back my ns700.
    Mick

14. Milhouse

Milhouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mick

I'd appreciate it if you could email JohnArcher@totaldvd.net since he is chasing Sony about the RGB switching problem. His last post on the problem was 29th January 2002 which is quite some time ago and it would be good to hear of any reply from Sony as this appears to be an ongoing problem.

In the past when this problem was first brought to Sony's (public) attention Sony stated that all new models would be fixed on the production line and all dealers would be notified to ensure current stock did not suffer from the fault. Yeah, right. And this was a Sony dealer too!

15. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    Millhouse - do you know if Sony are still producing the NS900?. Seems strange its gone from the web sites. I'll email John Archer later.
    Cheers,
    Mick

16. Milhouse

Milhouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mick - Don't know if it's been discontinued, this would seem a little odd considering it was only introduced around Oct 2001! Although the fact that is is missing from the Sony site can only lead me to believe that it has indeed been pulled, not perhaps that surprising considering the problems with it.

Having said that, I purchased a second unit which had the switching fault and the dealer corrected this to my satisfaction. As for the darkness I don't find it a problem but can fully sympathise with those who do.

Would be interested to hear back from John, particularly with regard to the NS900 going AWOL from the Sony site :)

17. brunobastille

brunobastille

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hello everybody,
    I can give you the situation about the switching issue here in France :
    on february 13th, I went to Sony France headquarter, in order to get the refund of my DVP-NS900 bught in November 2001.
    I got the refund, gave them back the unit and they told me that, if I buy another Sony product before the end of the year, I would get a discount of 150 euros.
    I asked them the question about the availability of the fixed black NS900 (units that would have been modified in the factory, without having to be repaired after the purchase in a Sony repair shop) : they told me that they always didn't know when a new serie of NS900 would be available.
    They also told me that A LOT of black NS900 that were stocked in shops had been returned back to the various Sony factories, but had never been sent back to the shops. That means that, little by little, Sony wants to limit the sale of the NS900.
    I always speak about the black version and not the silver one. It seems that, for reasons that I ignore, the silver units are suffering less issues than the black release......
    The new range products of Sony for 2002 will be in April, but no new DVD player in this new catalogue.
    Anyway, Sony will probably release a new range of DVD players in October 2002.....
    In a couple of hours, I will pick-up the Pioneer 747 (multizone) and I hope that this machine will satisfy me more than the NS900 !!!

18. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    Hi folks quick update on my ns900. I toke it back to the Sony centre yesterday and got the guy in the shop to plug it into a KV32FQ tv (same as mine) and it didn't do the av switching at all. I couldn't re create it. We both agreed that the rgb was very dark though so he gave me out a new player. Low an behold when I set it up at home I got the switching problem. My tv is about 4 months old now maybe longer depending how long it was in stock. I'd say the newer models of the tv have been modified to deal with the problem.

Anyway apart from the switching I'm very happy with the picture quality of the player. The rgb isn't as dark as the first ns900 i had but definetly darker than the ns700. I demoed a good few discs last night and some of the colour re production is stunning - colours seem stronger. Maybe this is down to the slightly darker picture I'm not sure.

The dealer was unaware of the fault and I pointed him towards the homecinemachoice web site. He's going to contact Sony technical and ask about it.

Hopefully they can apply the modification and I'll be sorted. As a separate question - is it possibe for me to use the component output of the ns900 and get an adapter fot the component leads to input them into scart 1 (rgb) on the kv32fq. Would I notice any difference in quality?

Thanks,
    Mick

19. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    In a word no. Component and RGB are two different types of constructed signal. Your best bet is a decent RGB scart to scart cable. I assume you had this thought not just for a better picture but a possible escape route for your plight.

20. konghh

konghh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am very eager to know how much better is the CD music playback on the 900V over the 700V. Your view pls.

21. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    RE: cd playback quality :- I'm afraid I couldn't say really. I used my ns700 for dvd playback primarily and it will be the same for my ns900.

Regards,
    Mick

22. brunobastille

brunobastille

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi guys,
    just a few words about the Pioneer 747 : it is faaaaarrrr better than the NS900, especially about the picture quality. It is probably due to the fact that the Pioneer uses 12bits/108Mhz chips.
    Honestly, I had not been impressed at all by the picture of the NS900 (compared to my previous Pioneer 717), but now I can say that the Pioneer 747 has a stunning picture quality.
    For SACD, even if it is still not burned-in, the 747 is a little bit better than the NS900.
    For regular CD, the 747 seems also to be sweeter than the NS900 (even when the NS900 has several hundred of hours).
    But of course, the price of the 747 is almost the double of the NS900, this is something that has to be taken in account !!!!

23. chrismoore

chrismoore

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also own the Sony KV32FQ75 and a couple of weeks ago bought the DVPNS 900V. The picture is excellent, but hen again it is my first DVD Player.
    Just saving for an amp and speakers now so I can really enjoy the films.
    You wont be dissapointed