Sony (not so) Smart TV

Tony Norton

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

further to my Sony KDC-40HX803 woes.

I hardwired the TV, via e-net cable to my Virgin Super Router, ensuring that it was the only device so connected.

I downloaded, via a laptop and USB stick exactly as per Sony Instructions, the necessary file to update the firmware, only to find that the TV already had the latest.

I then setup the network connection and everything was reported as O.K. and I was connected to the internet. So says the TV.

However, when I try to connect to i-player, or any other of the internet options all I get is "a network error has occurred".

Just what is my, far from smart, in fact "incredibly stupid", TV playing at? Is it actually me who is "incredibly stupid"?

I am reluctant to buy a Sony UWA-BR100 wireless internet USB stick for fear that I get the same result as when hardwired. My hardwired desktop PC connects to all the internet TV options without any problem, but why watch TV on a 23" screen when I have a 40" one in my lounge!

If I'm not doing the right thing could somebody please, pretty please, point me in the right direction.

Cheers

Tony N

Further info on the above.

In today's "Weekend" magazine there is a half page article on "TV on Demand". Under a sub-heading "How it Works" is says: -

"The free (my italics) services BBC iPlayer (www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer), ITV Player ....etc.etc... give you from seven to 30 days to watch programmes that have already aired. You can access them on a computer and some phones, and via your TV set through providers such as Sky, Virgin TV, BT TV and YouView."

Does this imply that, although your TV may be a, so-called, Smart TV, you have to subscribe to one of the aforementioned suppliers to be able to get the, again so-called, free services? If so, as a 'freeview only' man it seems I would be throwing money down the drain if I purchased a Sony UWA-BR100 wireless internet USB.

Am I right?

Tony N

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
The article just means that the boxes from these providers offer their own apps similar to the ones built into the TV.
I wouldn't get a USB WiFi stick yet as if it doesn't work when hard wired I can't imagine it would work over WiFi. As to why the app isn't working I am clueless. The only thing I could suggest is to do a factory reset (right down your picture settings first as these will be wiped) once you've done the reset the TV should guide you through the first time set up process, it should connect to the internet again and possibly search via the internet for updated firmware, I would then try the apps again. Have you tried the others or just BBC iPlayer?

As above, factory reset..... and don't buy the Wifi dongle.

You could also try a manual firmware update.

Homeplugs if you need to move the tv where you can't have a ethernet cable are a better and cheaper option.

Somewhere in the menus is the option to "refresh Internet content".

It might save the hassle of a full reset.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom