• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Sony NEx5 or Panasonic G2.

John F

Banned
The wife is after a smaller camera than her Sony A35 to carry around but is undecided between these 2, which would you choose and why?

Johnmcl7

Distinguished Member
Is she replacing the A35 or is this an additional camera? My choice has been micro 4/3 for the better range of bodies and lenses plus the more compact setup with the two pancakes and the new power zoom. However if your wife is not going to invest in the system and is already familiar with Sony the Next could be a better choice, has she tried either camera out? It's not really an equivalent comparison as the G2 is a mini dslr design and the Nex is more compact. The equivalents would be either the Panasonic gf cameras or the Olympus E-p series.

John

Jammyb

Prominent Member
G2 + kit lens is £350
G3 + kit lens is £430

Probably worth the extra, more compact and a better sensor. Though to be honest if she's not likely to but more than one lens she might be better with a premium compact with a fast lens like the Fuji X10.

F2-2.8 zoom and a small sensor may be better than F3.5-5.6 zoom and a larger sensor. Plus a lot smaller.

twist

Distinguished Member
Easy choice for me if shes going to stick to kit lenses, NEX has the biggest sensor and has focus peaking for manual lenses which is superb, also has a few other neat features like panorama, face/smile detect and even at ISO1600 the images are clean, the LCD is excellent and tiltable. If she was in Johns position of wanting to invest heavily in 4/3rd lenses etc then Id say 4/3rd.

Available lenses so far for NEX are

18-55
55-210
16mm pancake
18-200

Last edited:

DolbyDan

Prominent Member
Problem with NEX is the lenses are huge except the 16mm pancake of course

twist

Distinguished Member
So is a Panasonic G/F/H with an equivalent lens. But yeah, NEX definitely needs some cheap, small, primes.

Jammyb

Prominent Member
You can get the GF3 with the new compact 'X' 14-42mm lens as a pairing that wil fit in a coat pocket for £500 or so.

The lens is the same size as the pancake lenses. Personally I prefer the actual 20mm f1.7 and it very rarely leaves my camera, though obviously less versatile.

Johnmcl7

Distinguished Member
So is a Panasonic G/F/H with an equivalent lens. But yeah, NEX definitely needs some cheap, small, primes.

Not at all, a Panasonic gf3 with the 14-42mm x is far smaller than an Nex with the 18-55mm as it is with any of the primes - the only small Sony Nex lens is the 16mm, even the other;) primes are large. Which is a shame as I when I read the Nex 7 preview and the news about the new primes I thought this would be the new system for me. Then I saw the size of the new lenses and that idea went out the window, unfortunately Sony still don't seem to grasp that there is no point making small bodies if you're going to only offer large lenses.

twist

Distinguished Member
I wouldnt go as far as saying its far smaller but thats down to a personal thing. Obviously the primes are smaller. +1 on Sonys strategy, so stupid.

John speak to John for advice on M4/3 if you go that way, he can help you a lot.

John F

Banned
Not at all, a Panasonic gf3 with the 14-42mm x is far smaller than an Nex with the 18-55mm as it is with any of the primes - the only small Sony Nex lens is the 16mm, even the other;) primes are large. Which is a shame as I when I read the Nex 7 preview and the news about the new primes I thought this would be the new system for me. Then I saw the size of the new lenses and that idea went out the window, unfortunately Sony still don't seem to grasp that there is no point making small bodies if you're going to only offer large lenses.

John, how would you rate the G2-3?

DolbyDan

Prominent Member
G2 has the SLR type grip, but uses the older, more noisy sensor.
G3 loses the SLR grip, but gains a newer sensor, much less noisy sensor, it also focuses quicker.

pwood

Prominent Member
The Panny has a viewfinder which as your wife is a DSLR user already she will be used to having. I went the other way a while back and will never get a camera without a viewfinder again.

GuitarGuy

Distinguished Member
I'm not sure why you guys would recommend the kit lense with the panny. When I lost my job the studio took back the 5d mark II so I had to get myself an affordable camera for personal use and I got a used G2. I sold on the 14-42 and got the 14-45mm as its replacement. It's so much nicer.

Jammyb

Prominent Member
I don't think anyone is recommending the kit lens specifically, though there's nothing wrong with it and you're paying very little extra over body only. We're talking about the 14-42mm X lens.

bobbymax

Prominent Member
So what is so special about the 14-45 over the 14-42?

John F

Banned
I went for sony a55 in the end, not much bigger than a G3 and all round I felt a better long term prospect.

joelk2

Distinguished Member
panasonic_14_42mm_x_33.jpg

panasonic_14_42mm_x_40.jpg

so just for comparison purposes and to aid others if they search and find this thread.
GF3 with the X series 14 - 42 lens VS Nex5 with 18 - 55

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom