Sony NEX-5N will not fire shutter

Johnmcl7

Distinguished Member
I picked up a new Sony NEX-5N yesterday, charged the battery up last night and had a go this morning but cannot get it to take a photo. It seems to power up fine, autofocuses the lens when I half press the shutter release but when I fully press it nothing happens. The shutter does not fire and there is no error to indicate any problem. I was thinking there is perhaps a problem with the shutter button but then I've found the movie mode button doesn't work either.

I've tried different shooting modes and setting the camera to release without lens but no luck, is there anything else obvious I'm missing or is this likely a fault? The shutter can be heard opening and closing when powering up the camera and switching it off so it is ok and I'm suspicious that neither the photo shutter button or video button work. The camera seems to be detecting the memory card find as it shows the available number of images and formatted it ok.

The other issue which may or may not be related is that the camera loses most of its settings when it is powered off, when I power it back on each time I have to set the date and time. I say most of the settings as I noticed the first time the date format was M-D-Y but the second time it was D-M-Y as I'd set it previously although I still needed to set the date and time again.

I'm thinking of just getting a refund as it's not a good start but thought it worth asking in case there's anything obvious I'm missing.

John

Johnmcl7

Distinguished Member
After a bit of searching it looks like this is a known issue and it isn't a fault with the camera:

Sony: Shutter release problem

It seems that both issues are to do with the internal battery being flat, certainly that makes sense for the second issue although a bit odd for the first. However as others have found if you cancel setting the date/time setup the shutter fires just fine so I think in a few hours it will be working normally. I suspect this camera has been sitting unused for a long time as the li-ion battery was completely flat which is unusual and I've never actually seen the camera being sold in the store I bought it from.

John

eduk

Distinguished Member
That is bizarre.

Johnmcl7

Distinguished Member
I know, I can understand the date/time not working until the internal battery is charged (although I would expect a warning on screen) but it's strange the shutter won't fire if the internal battery is flat *and* you set the date/time manually, if you skip setting the date/time the shutter will fire and just use a default date/time.

I've checked now and it's working correctly, on startup it doesn't prompt for date/time and it takes a picture which is correctly date/time stamped.

John

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom