1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony MZ-N710 or the Sharp IM-DR420 Minidisc?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Donnie, Mar 20, 2004.

1. Donnie

Donnie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi looking at buying a minidisc player, either the Sony MZ-N710 or the Sharp IM-DR420. I like the look of the Sony as its smaller but have heard its not loud enough? If anyone has either or would like to help it will be appreciated.

2. KJ_Palmer

KJ_Palmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi. I have the Sharp IM-DR420. I would say definitely go for that over the N710. The N710 has only 1.2mW per channel @16 Ohm, whereas the Sharp has 8mW x 2 @32 Ohm, ie. basically the Sharp is MUCH LOUDER.
    It (the Sharp) has also got a 1-bit digital amp and 4-pole headphones (it can also use 'normal' 3-poles) which gives it better stereo separation and clarity than the traditional one in the Sony.

Yes the N710 looks much nicer, but in this case it's style over substance. I've had quite a few Sony MD's, so I'm not anti-Sony or anything, but the N710 just fails to cut the mustard. It probably sounds all right though, just quiet.

3. lovegroova

lovegroova

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +293
    I find my 710 more than loud enough for everyday use on London Underground, unless you're one of those annoying berks who insists on 'sharing' their music with the whole carriage.

The sound quality is fine btw.

4. mrjabba

mrjabba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ive got a 710 and i think its great sayin that i havent heard the sharp so can't compare

5. max_keller

max_keller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    would you consider for a new gen minidisc player, it's called Hi-MD machine? like Sony MZ-NH1?

6. KevinP

KevinP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just bought the Sony MZ-NH900 Hi-MD recorder. I'd highly recommend it, it sounds great, can record uncompressed (PCM) audio, can upload (with restrictions) and be used as an external disk drive. Also it's fully compatible with the older MD recordings...