1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony MW-HD5 EU volume limiter

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by wamozart, Oct 14, 2005.

1. wamozart

wamozart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just purchased the HD5 which I am very pleased with in everything but volume. I have found and followed the instructions to change the Sound Pressure setting in the factory settings from "ON" to "OFF" and checked that it has stayed "OFF" even after I have closed the settings and go back to the regular screens, but it has not changed the volume in the headphones one bit.

I have heard that other recent purchasers are having the same probelm and wonder if Sony have put another volume limiter on the thing somewhere else.

Anyone got any ideas?

Those meddlers in Brussels should go and spend their time working on something a little bit more important!!

Steve

2. wamozart

wamozart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This problem is really stupid.

Steve

3. Steve V

Steve V

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am in the same boat as yourself i.e no aparrent change in volume; my name is als Steve do ya think there's a connection??? :)

4. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,222
    Be careful before doing this: I take no responsiblity for your actions

In factory setting wotever menu, navigate around and change to USA

Works for Sony MDs

5. wamozart

wamozart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I did try that and also changed the Lang setting to Jap (just to see what happened) but no effect!!

Taken the stupid thing back to the shop after a very useless call to Sony "customer service" and exchanged it for a Creative Zen Smooth. Not as sexy, but I can hear it fine.

Thanks for your help!

Steve

6. Paul Cooksley

Paul Cooksley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    I have tried this (changing country to US) and it does work on mine. Previously I was just changing the SP setting to "off" - but this was not remembering this setting when switched off - tried changing the country to US and it seems to remember and be much louder now ...

7. Steve V

Steve V

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

I shall also try this and hope that it works this time

steve v

8. Steve V

Steve V

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Couldn't really find which instruction in the menu is to change country, can anyone explain to dumb old me which way to go? I also tried the sequence as b4 but switched off this time by battery removal - same result! Incidentaly, what does 'SU' mean at the end of the volume bar?
    Steve V.

9. djpowell

djpowell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When you disable the volume limiter, it doesn't actually increase the volume, but it should change the volume scale so that the you should be able to increase it past the previous maximum.

Eg: if you set the volume to max, disable the limiter and return to play mode, if you check the volume again it should only be about 2/3s maximum and you should be able to increase the volume further.

10. Steve V

Steve V

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That was as clear as mud, this old man still needs to know how to "change the country to the US". Use simple words please as I'm new to all this please.
    Steve V.

11. m488dkw

m488dkw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Enter the service menu as per the first post scroll to "OTHERS" press ">" then up and down to "DEST". Press the play/pause key and use the search/menu key until "US" is displayed, press play/pause again and use the stop key to exit.

If you are unclear how to enter the service menu, follow the instructions on the "NW-HD3 NW-HD5 NW-HD5H EU model volume? SOLVED !!!!!" thread (first item)

12. Pesto

Pesto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tried following the instructions and now the mp3 player doesn't work. it says "Cannot play, Track Error". Noooo

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Cheers

13. m488dkw

m488dkw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Page 75 of the user manual says your audio data is broken and you need to transfer the data to the player again.

14. Steve V

Steve V

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Now that is what I call CLEAR ( he say's with smile on face) I will try that tomorrow morning and let you know how I get on.
    Steve V.

15. Steve V

Steve V

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Very large expletive!!! still no bloomin' luck, getting fed up now. So what's next?
    Steve V

16. IanPM

IanPM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    What firmware are you on?

17. shimmyman

shimmyman
    Standard Member

Products Owned: