1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony MR1 Plasma - Any Good?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by The Allmighty, Nov 3, 2003.

1. The Allmighty

The Allmighty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I'm new to these forums and am looking to buy a plasma. It's been fairly obvious to me that most of the posts here concentrate on the Pioneer and Panasonic models.

I'm quite keen on getting a Panasonic as I was disappointed with the new Pioneer the twice I've seen it. My wife however has her eyes on the Sony MR1 because she thinks it looks marvellous. I appreciate that they're ridiculously expensive and that looks aren't the defining criteria for purchasing a plasma but if it would make her happy and as long as it's not a real dog of a screen I'm prepared to buy one.

I've seen them running analogue and dvd signals and I thought that the picture looked fine however I am no expert in these matters and so I'd appreciate the views of anyone.

So, other than the fact they're ridiculously overpriced, what's wrong with them and what, if anything, is good about them?

Thanks very much for any comments!

2. Arshad

Arshad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. The Allmighty

The Allmighty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks very much for the link to the review, it was much appreciated. The issues they say cause concern I have to say that on my limited inspection, I didn't notice unduly. However, I will go and see one again and concentrate on these issues.

As regards the Pioneer, I've seen it running alongside a few other plasmas such as the Sony TS2, the Hitachi (forget the number sorry). The feed was the same into all of them and wasn't great on any of them. What struck me though was that the depth of the surround on the Pioneer being so black made the blacks on screen (primarily the black widescreen bars top and bottom) look grey in comparison.

By comparison, the widescreen bars on both the sony and hitachi looked considerably blacker (perhaps because of the lighter surround?). It may just be an optical illusion so apologies if anyone thinks I'm talking nonsense.

I did try to adjust the settings on screen but it made little difference in my opinion. Obviously I have no idea if this issue would be addressed if different sources and/or connections were used.

It's the sort of thing that would irritate me greatly and couldn't ignore. I know according to the tech specs it's better but to me it just didn't look right. Sorry I can't be more exact than that.

4. Arshad

Arshad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Alllmighty,

Have you seen the new Philips (42PF9965)?

The heard alot of good things about the new Pioneer so was just curious to know what might be wrong with it. But I have seen the new Philips and have also seen the panasonic, hitachi, fujitsu and the pioneer 433 but I must tell you when I saw the new Philips with the pixel plus function on, i was amazed by the picture sharpness and details, really i have never seen anything like that before.

So I strongly recommend you go and check it out and let me know what you think.

I know alot of people here talk about panasonic and pioneer, so i went and see the panasonic many times in the stores but really i don't see anything special as far as the picture quality goes, it just looks normal to me, maybe after setting it up propertly might show its magic but the Philips there was also on the same feed but it looked alot better than anyother plasma I have seen.

That's my opinion based on what I saw.

5. The Allmighty

The Allmighty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've seen the older Philips but not the newer model. Most of the places I get to see plasmas in my area tend to stock the usual suspects of Pioneer, Panasonic, Sony TS2, LG, Samsung. I've only seen the old philips in a local comet and as you can appreciate, most of the time in there you either get the same picture sent to every screen in the shop (badly) or they put on Monsters Inc or Ice Age through a dvd (which is always going to look good).

With regard to the Pioneer, my mate was with me the second time I saw the screen and he said that he thought the picture was grey in comparison to some of the others. I do find this strange though as according to the specifications and other peoples views it's a magnificent screen. I sometimes think with these things that I'm missing something that is obvious to everyone else.

I have to say that the Panasonics I've seen are good. I've only seen the 6 series once though as the local panasonic centre won't put them out on display as they've still got stock of the 5 series they're trying to get rid of. At their prices I assume that the 6 series will be obsolete before they're put out.

I've seen the Panasonic display a sky digital picture through an RF feed which is hardly the optimum way to demonstrate the quality of a screen and thought it was really good. DVD quality was as you would expect, very good.

I've seen the MR1 side by side with the TS2 running the same (relatively poor analogue feed) and thought the picture on the MR1 was better (seemed sharper somehow although have no idea of the settings used). Thing is, the reviews of the TS2 are normally pretty good and it would seem it's better thought of than the MR1. Perhaps it's just me.

Unfortunately, there is nowhere local for me to go and inspect an MR1 as the only place that had one somehow managed to let someone steal the media box. I had a trip to London last week and spent a short while down Tottenham Court Road looking at a few on display. Again, analogue feeds were to my eyes at least pretty good and nothing immediately struck me as being wrong with it. The picture from a dvd was IMHO excellent.

Unless I can find some others local (which seems unlikely) my intention is to take my wife up for a trip to see the MR1 and the Panny 6. Perhaps there may be a new philips there I could see at the same time.

I would like to see a panny hd screen running to see if it is significantly better but I don't think that's going to be likely.

Thanks again for your comments.