Sony Motionflow 400 & 800.

charles

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I am considering the Sony KDL-65W855 TV,the only 65" non 4K TV in Sony's range.It appears to show all the picture features of the Series 9 sets although it is described as a Series 8 apart from the motionflow which is 400 on the 65W855 and 800 on the top range Series 9.Is the 800 motionflow a must have or is the lesser incarnation perfectly suitable.I have read various postings on motionflow with some reporting that the best pictures are to be had with this feature turned off!The clear setting seems the most popular-is this the least powerful?Any comments from users would be appreciated.

I have read various postings on motionflow with some reporting that the best pictures are to be had with this feature turned off!The clear setting seems the most popular-is this the least powerful?

The Picture Perfect | AVForums Thread has recommendations for most of these types of features, including Motion Enhancement.

Yes got a 65w855 six days ago, have tried all motion flow settings, depends on what you are watching and how much if any SOE you are prepared to put up with. Suffers judder if you turn it off, found clear or std to be best so far. Would have preferred 800hz like the w905, seems stupid not to have included it on bigger screen. Not sure what speed the native refresh rate is, but guess 100hz which is also a bit slow IMO.
Mine is suffering from bad banding and am having engineer to assess prior to swap out/refund if they refuse to swap.
I have calibrated using calman 5 and i1 pro d3 and the picture is very good with an HD source (sky or freeview HD or bluray) SD content is variable depending on source material.

Yes got a 65w855 six days ago, have tried all motion flow settings, depends on what you are watching and how much if any SOE you are prepared to put up with. Suffers judder if you turn it off, found clear or std to be best so far. Would have preferred 800hz like the w905, seems stupid not to have included it on bigger screen. Not sure what speed the native refresh rate is, but guess 100hz which is also a bit slow IMO.
Mine is suffering from bad banding and am having engineer to assess prior to swap out/refund if they refuse to swap.
I have calibrated using calman 5 and i1 pro d3 and the picture is very good with an HD source (sky or freeview HD or bluray) SD content is variable depending on source material.
Surprised that you are suffering from banding.I thought that this issue had been virtually eliminated on the latest panels.Let me know if the replacement is OK.
According to members on the French AV Forum HD Fever(this can be translated) the panel is 200hz and is made by Samsung.The same panel is in their UE65F8000 TV.
Have you noticed any noticeable clouding or DSE

Yes the banding is the cause I have 3/4 four inch vertical bands in the centre of the screen!

Really annoying, especially on single colour panning shots. They are coming to see it this afternoon, will let you know...

Engineer came and saw, then went to order a replacement!
Said expected a small amount of DSE inherent to all LCD TV, but never seen quite so bad

Engineer came and saw, then went to order a replacement!
Said expected a small amount of DSE inherent to all LCD TV, but never seen quite so bad
Could you link the page where you saw the 200hz reference please?

I thought the W8 series has a native 100hz panel (Motionflow 400) vs 200hz panel (Motionflow 800) for the W9 series. This would fit in with the W6, 50hz panel with Motionflow 200 i.e all Motionflow is 4x panel native rate.

I thought the W8 series has a native 100hz panel (Motionflow 400) vs 200hz panel (Motionflow 800) for the W9 series. This would fit in with the W6, 50hz panel with Motionflow 200 i.e all Motionflow is 4x panel native rate.

Yes I suspect that too, however the w855 does have a triluminous PSL panel that the w8 series hasn't, so its more like the w9's in more ways than the w8. Reckon its a 100hz though.

I noticed that in the US the W9 is listed as having Motionflow XR 960, not 800. Is that because their TV is broadcast at 60 Hz?

Also, I discovered that Sony's top of the line HD model this year (W95) only has Motionflow XR 480 in the US (last year was Motionflow XR 960). The full specs for the UK models don't appear to be on Sony's site yet, but that could indicate that Motionflow XR 400 equipped W95's are heading this way.

I think so, maybe I'm being too harsh on my TV, but coming from a pristine 46hx853 its a tough act to follow. If motion flow is 4x base refresh does that means the us version is 240hz to get 960hz?

If motion flow is 4x base refresh does that means the us version is 240hz to get 960hz?
Yes. The US sony site shows so. I also suspect the UK model is as well when fed with a 60hz signal, say a NTSC DVD (and blu-ray?).

Oh, thought it was because of the 110v 60hz ac power they have?
You may be right although I thought it was because of the TV broadcast system frequency used rather than electrical frequency of the power supply. While one is based on the other this hasn't been a limiting factor for some time. And anyway some 60hz power frequency countries use PAL 50hz broadcast frequency.
I always thought (probably wrong) that UK models switched to 60fps for NTSC while obviously still remaining on 50hz supply i.e. they don't use the supply frequency as a display rate clock but this is a hazy area for me.

If you are right, will a US W9 at 240Hz (10x frame rate and 3 x supply frequency) give a better picture for a 24p Blu-ray than a UK W9 at 200hz (8.33 frame rate and 4x supply frequency. Or is it actually 96hz or 192hz? (4x or 8x frame rate but then not locked to supply frequency as you imply).

Avforums review of the 40W905 mentions 96hz for 24p Blu-rays. Can I complain to Trading Standards about false advertising and my missing 104hz or 8hz. :)

Getting back to the original posters question
The clear setting seems the most popular-is this the least powerful?Any comments from users would be appreciated.
From avforums review of the 40W905 However both 'Clear' and 'Clear Plus' do use some frame interpolation which can be spotted if you know what to look for. 'True Cinema' increases the frame rate by repeating rather than interpolating, thus reducing judder, so for film content that was our preferred choice.

You may be right although I thought it was because of the TV broadcast system frequency used rather than electrical frequency of the power supply. While one is based on the other this hasn't been a limiting factor for some time. And anyway some 60hz power frequency countries use PAL 50hz broadcast frequency.
I always thought (probably wrong) that UK models switched to 60fps for NTSC while obviously still remaining on 50hz supply i.e. they don't use the supply frequency as a display rate clock but this is a hazy area for me.

If you are right, will a US W9 at 240Hz (10x frame rate and 3 x supply frequency) give a better picture for a 24p Blu-ray than a UK W9 at 200hz (8.33 frame rate and 4x supply frequency. Or is it actually 96hz or 192hz? (4x or 8x frame rate but then not locked to supply frequency as you imply).

Avforums review of the 40W905 mentions 96hz for 24p Blu-rays. Can I complain to Trading Standards about false advertising and my missing 104hz or 8hz. :)

Getting back to the original posters question From avforums review of the 40W905 However both 'Clear' and 'Clear Plus' do use some frame interpolation which can be spotted if you know what to look for. 'True Cinema' increases the frame rate by repeating rather than interpolating, thus reducing judder, so for film content that was our preferred choice.
Think we're talking apples and pears about frequencies!

Anyway, the bigger screen size seems to make clear and clear plus to dim, whereas std motionflow doesn't and whilst it is apparent that its switched on the SOE is not. Used to use clear on my hx853 to good effect. Will try more experiments though as I'm only a week in. Super bitmap mode makes a difference as does the eco modes and light sensor to overall brightness too.

Have since identified panel as s-pva type at 100hz (either Samsung or auo), have even looked a pixels 60x resolution to confirm. If you enter service menu you can get exact panel number. Have settled on std for sky hd and clear or off for bluray depending on pq.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom