Sony Motion - Please Explain

simonliu79

Established Member
Reaction score
I always hear about Sony motion being better than other brands. What does this actually mean? As someone that turns off all processing (I hate soap opera) is this improved motion irrelevant to me?

Thanks

I always hear about Sony motion being better than other brands. What does this actually mean? As someone that turns off all processing (I hate soap opera) is this improved motion irrelevant to me?
In a word: yes

I don't understand why so many people are against higher framerates (artificial with motion processing or otherwise) in video.

Have we been so conditioned to 24p/30p that it seems wrong to watch video in a more natural, fluid motion?

I don't understand why so many people are against higher framerates (artificial with motion processing or otherwise) in video.

Have we been so conditioned to 24p/30p that it seems wrong to watch video in a more natural, fluid motion?
Personal preference but I find the soap opera effect to make movies look ridiculous, almost like a home movie. Can't stand it!

Personal preference but I find the soap opera effect to make movies look ridiculous, almost like a home movie. Can't stand it!
For what it's worth, and I omitted to mention in my initial response, Sony's motionflow on my OLED is the best of both worlds, at it's lowest setting it introduces such a subtle smoothing process that soap opera effect is not evident.

That said, it's very subjective. Judder to me may look smooth to you, and a small amount of smoothing may look artificial to you, but perfectly reasonable to me. I think it's this subjectiveness that makes interpolation such a hot topic. People on these forums have had some seriously heated debates about it.

There's no substitute for taking content to a local stockist and seeing for yourself with a USB loaded with sample media.

Sony has class leading motion handling compared to any other brand. They handle any kind of motion the best, without creating a heavy "soap-opera" effect.

Hardcore enthusiasts and profesionalists like me will cry about anything that is slightly different then the creators intent. We will literally scream in pain if you dont use custom picture mode on any Sony TV and if you dont have all picture processing features turned OFF.

This being said, its your TV.
Your.
TV.
And this message is for everyone:
Dont listen to Hardcore enthusiasts. Ignore us. Just enjoy your TV the way you want. Its your TV after all. If you like bright and punchy colors, use Vivid. If you want the best possible image, play around with the settings until you are satisfied, not what others tell you what the best image is. Everyone has different taste. Some like punchy images, others hate it. Never listen to much to "experts".

So I'm supposed to watch The Godfather on higher frame rate, because reasons? 24fps is done for artistic reasons and should be respected by these modern TVs.

The best way I can comment on Sony’s motion handling is to recommend watching the same scene on competitor screens like LG and Samsung. A scene like the opening scene in The Martian where the camera pans across the Martian landscape, or in Arrival where the helicopters are circling the giant alien craft, will look markedly different on a Sony if you are sensitive to stuttering, juddering, skipping, etc. It completely ruins the immersion for me when it happens and with my XE930, and I hope with my A90J when it arrives, it just isn’t an issue.

I've seen terrible judder with Sony as well, particularly on bright scenes. There was a really bad example on Squid Game, can't remember which episode.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom